A Little Bit of Honesty.

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  cellar-door on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:45 pm

B4p wrote:Not seen the shows yet so cannot add anything to the mix.
I've been reading comments on here, Twitter and the DS so I've got a flavour of how it all went. Someone commented on Twitter that the main Beeb site has Mark dancing with Karen Hardy - whoops. O la has thanked fans for their overwhelming support. Sounds like Steve has been gagged. The shows producer has a twitter feed. She doesn't tweet but reads direct and indirect comments about the show. Her details are on the Tweetabix thread in Strictly Anything Else.

I got to read some 'newspaper' report about Steve and O.la and then sickeningly I read many of O.la's past male celebs tweeting to support her. But why did they (a few of them) and J.ames have to throw Steve under the bus?!
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:03 pm

cellar-door wrote:  I got to read some 'newspaper' report about Steve and O.la and then sickeningly I read many of O.la's past male celebs tweeting to support her. But why did they (a few of them) and J.ames have to throw Steve under the bus?!
Agree CD. Steve's in a difficult position. A shame as he was starting to get on really well. I hope he can get past all the horrible flack. I can't understand why they asked her back if they were going to spend so much time roasting her.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:13 pm

That bloke that Mark had never heard of (Barry Manilow) is on Channel 10 at the moment, and guess who's in the audience, An ton! Just spotted Rachel who danced with Vin cent
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:53 pm

B4p wrote:That bloke that Mark had never heard of (Barry Manilow) is on Channel 10 at the moment, and guess who's in the audience, An ton! Just spotted Rachel who danced with Vin cent

What show is that? Mark seems to be over-selling his 'I am so dumb but I am improving' schitck, doesn't he? I like his improvement, but many of his comments after dance (especially in front of the judges) it seemed he had rehearsed it in his mind what he wanted to say... Still, I would rather see someone visibly improving in the show than one that appears to be regressing, i.e. Jake...
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:28 am

cellar-door wrote: Mark seems to be over-selling his 'I am so dumb but I am improving' schitck, doesn't he? I like his improvement, but many of his comments after dance (especially in front of the judges) it seemed he had rehearsed it in his mind what he wanted to say... Still, I would rather see someone visibly improving in the show than one that appears to be regressing, i.e. Jake...

My worry with Jake is that he seems a bit short on confidence right now. Either that or the rumba was traumatic for him. It's almost like acting a heavy love scene and he sure isn't the first male to be intimidated by it. He seemed to expect and accept the judges criticism this week and he needs to kick on from it. The "no-particular-order" announcement almost certainly had him quaking inside a little and I wish he'd been announced sooner. Just hope he's suffered no lasting effect from a bad week. Come on Jake, you can do it.
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:34 am

TANGOLERO wrote:

My worry with Jake is that he seems a bit short on confidence right now. Either that or the rumba was traumatic for him. It's almost like acting a heavy love scene and he sure isn't the first male to be intimidated by it. He seemed to expect and accept the judges criticism this week and he needs to kick on from it. The "no-particular-order" announcement almost certainly had him quaking inside a little and I wish he'd been announced sooner. Just hope he's suffered no lasting effect from a bad week. Come on Jake, you can do it.

At least Jake didn't break down and blubber like like a four-year-old (i.e. Mark) when the producers deliberately put him last to be saved... I hope he won't get Samba for Blackpool. It's a difficult dance, and judging from his Salsa and Jive (both fiendishly fast-paced), the producers (or Janette) might be tempted to use the same 'speedy-gonzalas' tempo in a mistaken notion that it will wow the audience and judges alike. Samba is a difficult dance to perform at 2x speed, as we have seen with Frankie and Kevin.
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:26 am

TANGOLERO wrote:My worry with Jake is that he seems a bit short on confidence right now. Either that or the rumba was traumatic for him. It's almost like acting a heavy love scene and he sure isn't the first male to be intimidated by it. He seemed to expect and accept the judges criticism this week and he needs to kick on from it. The "no-particular-order" announcement almost certainly had him quaking inside a little and I wish he'd been announced sooner. Just hope he's suffered no lasting effect from a bad week. Come on Jake, you can do it.

Yes I was watching Jake's face as the couples' names were being announced safe and he was growing more and more anxious (as was I!). I'm sure he was convinced he was dancing again, especially when it came down to just him and Caroline.

I do think Jake's confidence has taken a dip. Lots of people are comparing his Strictly j.ourney with Sophie's, and understandably so. They both astounded everybody with an incredible Week 2 dance and couldn't quite match it in following weeks. But what's happening to Jake also reminds me a lot of what happened to Jason Donovan. Okay his opening Cha Cha wasn't quite as brilliant but he was ahead of the field for the first few weeks, then he really struggled with the Paso Doble which seemed to knock his confidence. I don't think Jason was ever quite the same again, he kept doubting himself from then on. I hope the last two dances haven't damaged Jake's confidence in a similar way. A lot also depends on how Janette responds.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:28 am

Im confused to why ex celeb partners felt the need to support O.la on Twitter it only a) Adds fuel to the rumours b) Leaves Steve in a vulnerable isolated position (Im worried we will have our first walk out due to "bullying/feeling overwhelmed) Im sure if all had said nowr it could have been just forgotten and O.la/Steve could have carried on. Do you feel its bitterness coming from James via O.la? Surely the producers knew getting rid of James and keeping O.la would have created waves? Or did the producers expect this and go with any publicity/headlines puts SCD ahead of XF?
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallflower on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:05 pm

Really not sure what to think about this.  I tend to take a lot of what appears in the press with a pinch of salt - has it been confirmed that Steve actually formally complained or is that still a rumour?
If he really feels bullied I feel for him - that's a horrible situation.  However my cynical streak thinks this may all be an attempt to keep him in for longer - his dance was the worst of the male celebs this week and as I said on another post there are very few men left.  True or not the story was always going to provoke a backlash of votes for him.
Wallflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:36 pm

I didn't like O.la's previous partners wading in either. It's nothing to do with them. Their experiences with O.la might be very different to Steve's. I've no idea whether there's been bullying or not but if an official complaint has been lodged then it should be taken seriously and not dismissed or undermined based on what Chris Hollins or Kenny Logan have to say! If anything, they're making it worse because it looks like Steve's being ganged up on.
Sid

Back to top Go down

gone.

Post  TANGOLERO on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:51 pm

moved to another thread.

Last edited by TANGOLERO on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : moved to another thread)
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:52 pm

Sid wrote:I didn't like O.la's previous partners wading in either. It's nothing to do with them. Their experiences with O.la might be very different to Steve's. I've no idea whether there's been bullying or not but if an official complaint has been lodged then it should be taken seriously and not dismissed or undermined based on what Chris Hollins or Kenny Logan have to say! If anything, they're making it worse because it looks like Steve's being ganged up on.

And I read reports that James was taunting Steve who was told by the BBC to stay silent. But O.la so far did not speak directly about the incident, so why was Steve singled out? James has shown in this case that the Jordans are indeed bullies, strangely...
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Yes think he made a "no balls" comment or something like that CD. I hate this idea that just because someone's big and tough-looking they can't be subjected to bullying. I'm not saying there definitely is bullying going on here (although the way the Jordans' hardcore online fans are ganging up on Steve at the moment suggests otherwise), it shouldn't be dismissed just because the allegations come from a man and the alleged bully is a woman. I hate that sort of stereotyping and sexism.

It was a mistake of the Beeb to just keep O.la because James was never going to leave quietly and with dignity. They should have kept or lost both of them and cut ties completely. Because the ongoing Jordan circus is spoiling things. If neither of them were with the show any more I doubt people would pay as much attention to James' outbursts.

TANGOLERO wrote:
In no way prudish, but we see everybody's knickers weekly as part of the dancing,
do we really need to see Darcey's so blatantly?

lol!

Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Sid wrote:It was a mistake of the Beeb to just keep O.la because James was never going to leave quietly and with dignity. They should have kept or lost both of them and cut ties completely. Because the ongoing Jordan circus is spoiling things. If neither of them were with the show any more I doubt people would pay as much attention to James' outbursts.

Putting my cynicism hat on, I think BBC wants to create some kind of controversy, knowing James would not be able to keep his gob shut. Though I believe there were a lot of embellishment to the story in the Daily Mail (I mean, c'mon, it's DM!!!), I suspect BBC allowed some kind of 'leak', enough so that it was on the side of truth (Steve complained that he was pushed a step too far to what he considered was the appropriate channel, after all he works for BBC in those adventure programmes so he naturally trusts the 'authority' at the BBC), some gobby gremblins leaked it to DM, DM embellished the story, rubbed James the wrong way (as they would expect), James had a twitter melt-down, hey presto! more people tuning in to watch the 'dynamics' between Steve and O.la! After all, they were put right at the end of the show, and to be honest, their dance were mediocre at best, and we know that producers normally reserve the pimp slot for outstanding dances. It all smacked of media manipulation, and pea-brained James became the willing pawn, while Steve became the unwitting (perhaps gulliable as well?) victim in this all. O.la had all the support from her previous male celebs so she's not getting that much sympathy from me, and also because James' silly behaviour of this fiasco is turning me right off her as well...
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Of the dance pros, only A nton, Ian Waite, James J and Brendan ever seem to have much time in the off-the-show limelight. Of these, A nton and Ian are always gents, Brendan has learned to keep mouth in closed position (somewhat) and J.J always has that Bullish "I can do more press-ups than you" psuedo-macho air about him. He isn't a bad teacher, pretty good in fact, but as has been commented on, splitting Hansel and Gretel up turned out to be a bad idea. Best bet, in retrospect would have been both out I think. Kick one and both limp....
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:01 pm

cellar-door wrote:

Putting my cynicism hat on, I think BBC wants to create some kind of controversy, knowing James would not be able to keep his gob shut. Though I believe there were a lot of embellishment to the story in the Daily Mail (I mean, c'mon, it's DM!!!), I suspect BBC allowed some kind of 'leak', enough so that it was on the side of truth (Steve complained that he was pushed a step too far to what he considered was the appropriate channel, after all he works for BBC in those adventure programmes so he naturally trusts the 'authority' at the BBC), some gobby gremblins leaked it to DM, DM embellished the story, rubbed James the wrong way (as they would expect), James had a twitter melt-down, hey presto! more people tuning in to watch the 'dynamics' between Steve and O.la! After all, they were put right at the end of the show, and to be honest, their dance were mediocre at best, and we know that producers normally reserve the pimp slot for outstanding dances. It all smacked of media manipulation, and pea-brained James became the willing pawn, while Steve became the unwitting (perhaps gulliable as well?) victim in this all. O.la had all the support from her previous male celebs so she's not getting that much sympathy from me, and also because James' silly behaviour of this fiasco is turning me right off her as well...

You are so right..............and what you say Tangolero in your subsequent post.

Controversy seems to follow the J ordans - remember the O la/Karen story last year? It doesn't help that J ames is obviously bitter and twisted and continuing to pull strings in the background (or trying to!). Yes in this case they definitely both should have gone and started to build more honourable dance based projects away from SCD as others have successfully done (notably V innie and F lavia and E rin with A nton). I think this whole thing is very weird and it is difficult to see who will benefit in the long term really. I am surprised - and pleased - that Steve has got so far in the contest - because I thought initially that he might not have such a big fan base as some of the other contestants, but I was wrong (as I have been with a lot of things this series) and he is now one of the only 'mid fielders' not yet to have had a turn in the DO - however, I don't think that he and Simon will be around much longer (I'll probably be wrong again!). Last year the female celebs dominated the latter part of the contest so I think the beeb are desperate for more males to be there this year but not sure this will happen.

Re Jake - looking on the bright side - the last two weeks he has done dances that are notoriously difficult for the male celebs and he has now got these out of the way. S id I know where you are coming from with comparing him to Sophie - which is right to a certain extent, but actually I think Sophie was consistently undermarked by the judges throughout the contest. My issues with Jake rest with his ability to be able to demonstrate a variety of different styles and this is what he needs to work on. I think that currently the only other male celeb at his heels is Mark - who (whatever we think of him) is showing that he is quite versatile and is the one to watch.

A few weeks ago I would have said that potentially the four finalists would probably be Pixie, Frankie Jake and Caroline. Now I can only say that I think Pixie and Frankie will be there but I think we are going to see some real twists and turns with all the other contestants who are left - which is good and doesn't make it to predictable - don't you think Question

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Re Jake. I know he said he'd got 2-3 weeks of heavy storyline filming for Eastenders, so maybe he's had to take a chance and put Strictly second for the last few weeks. He's certainly under pressure, and seems to hold it in like a pressure cooker whereas Mark just has emotional meltdowns. At least he's got the dreaded male Rhumba out of the way.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:18 am

Dame Shirley Bassey is on Graham Norton's Show saying she'll be singing Goldfinger on SCD Blackpool Show
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:34 am

Exactly as I said James possible bitterness creeping into O.la and the BBC in hindsight should have kept both or dropped both.
Good to hear Dame Shirley singing live Saturday or shown on pretend Sunday show.
I do hope we get traditional music choices for Blackpool
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:34 pm

Tonight's Show - First Thoughts:
First up what a cracking show tonight. A great variety of dances and plenty of quality dances. However, my complaints would be a few too many tens (certainly thought Frankie's dance though good merited an 8 or 9 at best). Also the way other judges react to CRH's marks and remarks. He is entitled to his opinion and his marks were more realistic than the others and L.en was guilty of nastily having a dig at him which wasn't good.

Anyway many dances to admire. Loved Simon's Argentine Tango, Pixie's Paso Doble, Caroline's Jive and Mark's Charleston. Also Jake's American Smooth was very good as was Frankie's dance. The weakest dances of the night came from Sunetra (not her dance for me), Steve and Judy's (her best dance by far but still someway off the rest for quality).

On dance talent it should be Judy and Steve in the dance-off but we all know that is not how it works.
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Copy and paste from the other thread:

Well done, and magical opening number about dreams! Love the My Fair Lady VW sequence!

My ten-word or less one-sentence review (I gave my score immediately after the couples danced):

1. Frankie & Kevin's Quickstep - Energetic and lively performance. 8

2. Jake & Janette's American Smooth - Too flashy and gimmickly are the lifts, not 'Smooth'. 7.5

3. Sunetra & Brendan's Samba - Not much double bounce, and quite messy. 6.5

4. Simon & Kristina's Argentine Tango - Stunning, of Mark Ramprakash's quality. 8.5

5. Judy & Housewives choice's Viennese Waltz - Recognisable steps and flowy in parts! 6

6. Mark & Karen's Charleston - Proper swivel-actions, but ploddy in places. 7.5

7. Pixie & Trent's Paso Doble - Powerful and masterful, but lacking very slightly in Spanish lines. 8

8. Steve & O.la's American Smooth - Pivots, pivots, pivots, lifts, lifts, lifts, some mistakes with hands. 7

9. Caroline & Pasha's Jive - Cute and unexpected choreography, excellent kicks and flicks. 8

I think Sunetra and Steve will be in trouble this week. Given all my votes to Sunetra. I think Steve really looked like he doesn't want to be in the show anymore, sad...
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  1superken on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Wow really enjoyed tonights show , lost count of how many times the Judges said '' Your best dance yet '' & all the rest i thought performed to the best of their ability . Think its impossible to say who was the best & i don't want to say who after those performance,s was the worst , id imagine the leaderboard rankings pretty much match peoples thoughts on that .

Your right Mauve i was rooting for my boy & must've uttered go on Jake about 3 times during his performance , glad he,s back Very Happy

My personal Fav even though knew id probably love it after last,s night ITT was Pixie & Trent , i loved it more than i imagined , excellent . Theres so many others who could easily be others favs & i could understand why & couldn't disagree .

Super stuff Very Happy
1superken

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:27 pm

Must be the Blackpool air. What a tonic? Really classy show with everybody upping their games (that will have to be the order of the day from now on anyway) and not a one let the show down.

Sunetra was sadly a little weak, although C raig's "all over the place" was a bit exagerated as was his six mark.. Music wasn't special and I thought the lights could have been raised a little to encourage a samba mood.

Frankie and Kevin had rocketed the night off at mach speed with their quickstep and Frankie's neat feet handled it with ease. A wow of a dance to kick the show off.

Jake and Janette. American Smooth.
Jake's right back on track with an ice and fire A.S that had real content, mood and drama. Using extra dancers as atmosphere helped create a show feel without it being a show dance and Jake's acting talent
came through to help. Well done the man. Great comeback Jake.

Simon and Katrina. Argentine Tango.
Once again Kristina showed he professionalism in a brilliantly choreographed scenario that brought a really stunning response from Simon. A darkly lit red and black scenario with a dance club feel. "You know how I feel" helped that along nicely to. Well done both. A very classy A.T indeed.

Judy and Housewives choice. Viennese Waltz. (so they said)
Fun, nothing staggeringly bad, but Judy's unpolished dance edges were showing. She tried and has definitely improved but only A nton will get the votes and I think he knows full well their time has come.
It was a bit of fun but it's too late for that to count.

Mark and Karen. Charleston.
Here's the bit where I do a C raig and disagree with everybody. This wasn't worth four nines, which puts it on a par with Jake. It was decent but unspectacular and I'm wondering what the judges were on; Pina Colada and Brasso, Vodka and Windolene? Anywhere else but here it would have got three sevens and an eight. I suppose the crackpot music could be held responsible to a degree, but a Charlston? Take the cartwheels and tumble rolls out and it was Hooray Henry at a wedding. Sorry.

Pixie and Trent. Paso ???

Space gladiators to the great War of the Worlds musical score. I just forgot the paso/tango and watched the dance which was terrific. These two are something to watch and repeatedly very, very good. It was modern, dramatic and flawlessly done. Well done both.

Not sure what to make of Steve and put a vest on you strumpet's supposed rift. They looked comfortable enough, had obviously practised, and although Steve still had aeroplane arms and walked some of it, it was quite entertaining and not that far off decent within his capabilities. That said, he's near the danger zone for me.
7.8.8.8 ...31.

Caroline and Pasha. Jive.
Crocodile Rock ( not the best music for a jive really) performed by a sentry with a groupie wearing a Union Jack frock with glitter, outside Buck Fizz palace. All very decent, fun and lively. All the kicks and flicks but not entirely sold on the bounce aspect. That said, Caroline improved on last week and somehow managed a ten from the mad Italian.

Blackpool did the trick again and brought out the best in everybody. Great venue that us northeners are immensely proud of, and it's great that the pros think so highly of the Tower Ballroom. Cracking show and I wish the whole series were from there. (Mind you, that might take the special element out of it).cheers

TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:47 pm

James tweeted that the wrong voting phone number was put up for Steve & O la.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:48 pm

B4p wrote:James tweeted that the wrong voting phone number was put up for Steve & O la.

Yes that is right but Zoe Ball repeated it later and it went up on the screen.
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top