It Takes Two 2014

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: It Takes Two 2014

Post  cellar-door on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:58 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Jake & Janette on ITT tonight.  I sincerely hope he doesn't blame the backing dancer for bumping into him.  It only happened because he was in the wrong place!

Indeed he was. When I watched it back, I saw no redeeming features in his steps, none. All too broad and sloppy, like he was doing a parody of an AT. Wait, it appeared he did the same with the 'Samba' last week and everyone was frothing over it...
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:29 pm

cellar-door wrote:
everyone was frothing over it...

Not me No
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:04 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Not me No

That makes two of us then.

Karen was very direct tonight about Jake's lack of foundation. She likened it to be brick wall without the 'glue' (cement), and when pushed, everything collasped.

She wasn't complimentary towards Mark too but at least she was saying Mark was simply under-rehearsed. With Jake, it was clear Karen Hardy was saying he lacked the foundation (i.e. good footwork, the foundation to good dancing, as she repeated again). But hey ho, Chris Hollins lacked foundation too, and he won!

Last edited by cellar-door on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:31 pm

I thought KH meant too many backing dancers and correctly imo advised don't touch the celebrity backing dancers! Karen advised with Caroline's dance they were behind her as backing props! With Jake it was touch touch be part of Jake ie get in the way props!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Karen was superb tonight, really got down to the nitty gritty of the couple's routines. She essentially reiterated what a lot of us have been saying about Jake - the basic techniques aren't that strong, and the performance side of things can only get you so far.

I disagreed with one point she made. She said the backing dancers shouldn't touch the couples in anyway (agreed) but then went on to praise the use of extra dancers in Caroline's routine - without them 'touching' Caroline, the spectacular final lift wouldn't have been possible.

The reason I'm against using extra dancers is (a) they can so easily become a distraction or hindrance (b) it's sort of 'cheating' as it's up to the couples ALONE to create an atmosphere / energy and spectacular lifts. That's part of the challenge.

So lose them altogether next year.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:40 pm

Sid wrote:The reason I'm against using extra dancers is (a) they can so easily become a distraction or hindrance (b) it's sort of 'cheating' as it's up to the couples ALONE to create an atmosphere / energy and spectacular lifts. That's part of the challenge.

So lose them altogether next year.

Concur!!! *muah*
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:50 pm

<smooches> CD! x
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:34 pm

saxonsiren wrote:I thought KH meant too many backing dancers and correctly imo advised don't touch the celebrity backing dancers! Karen advised with Caroline's dance they were behind her as backing props! With Jake it was touch touch be part of Jake ie get in the way props!
I agreed with Karen's summary of the Jake saga. Much as I like Jake, I agree the dancing was not good, no recognisable AT steps, 'all bread - no filling'. I was so disappointed with the dance, theme and music choice. The AT used to be such a special event to look forward too.

IF backing dancers are used, I think they should be mostly in the background and maybe just come nearer if a particular special lift is needed, but then again, I want to see the celeb and their Pro partner doing the lifts not a team effort. In Simon's routine, they stayed behind the barrier, waltzing on the spot for most of the time. In Caroline's spot, the dancers were mostly behind but more than once, Gordana was right behind Caroline (just before they went and sat on the floor for the 'oops outside yer head - boat move' (very popular in the 70's) and I thought at the time, if Caroline steps back now she'll step on Gordana, she's far too close. Even if they were behind, the backing dancers were too near to Caroline and Pasha in their routine IMO, very distracting. In Jakes routine, they were actually linking up Syrtaki style joining in with the dance, holding onto Jake & Janette, which should have been axed.  

It's bad enough trying to get a clear camera shot of the footwork, and making sense of steady cam man's drunken sailor moves, without having to hope to get to see something through all the extra legs.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:39 pm

Deep breath and.....scratch This post isn't just defending Jake in particular, since I doubt he'll win, nor will it find much favour with anyone it seems, but I'm a bit gabberflasted to be honest.

What is Karen Hardy ( somebody I've always admired) talking about? Jake, a defined novice dancer, taught every single step he does by a pro and is now, at this stage of things, a couple of weeks away from the final, blamed for not having strong basic technique after getting 76 points out of 80 the two previous weeks? ? Whose fault is that if true, if not the pro's? I also have watched his dances and am wondering why four experienced judges can give a guy two tens and two nines one week and four nines the previous one, then folk claim he has weak basic technique? If the judges were marking high, they certainly weren't just doing it for him. What's all this about? Come on, take that latest debacle. The guy had no chance whatsoever. The whole idea of an Argentine tango is a total couple dance with complex steps and movement. Hard enough to master with a clear floor and correct music playing, almost an impossibility to carry off with a chorus line and Greek national dance music putting the accelerator down and making a farce of it. It cost him dearly with many it seems, but he still got three 8's and one daft 5 from C raig despite it. His average mark over 8 weeks, despite his weak technique, a rumba, a hard-rock paso and Stavros Flatley is still about 32.5.

Strictly, as you well know, isn't some bronze medal ballroom examination, it's a nerve-wracking experience in front of millions that the dancer has to entertain. Who, of the others, had music so very wrong for their dances? Jake got another pig in a poke grand style to match his Hell's Angel music Paso and now his technique isn't strong enough? Come on folks. Is it really just me ?

Am I, a mere nobody, saying Karen Hardy is wrong? Er, yes. Too right I am.

Rant over and done. Embarassed
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:30 am

As I've said, I actually like Jake. I felt sorry for him on Saturday. I know the A Tango was the one dance he was looking forward to doing right from the start, and I thought it was a shame that things didn't go well for him. I was disappointed for him as well as myself. I'm not blaming Jake particularly, I think he did the best he could with what he was told to do. I agree with a lot of the others that Janette is driving the ship and he can only follow what she gives him. I agree with Karen from the point that performance seemed stronger than substance.

One of the problems is that the mish-mashing of the classic dances, (exacerbated by the bizarre music choices), blurrs what the celeb is trying to learn. I don't think the celebs have a chance to capture the flavour of the dance when it's so distorted. It's a bit like all those colourful veg that go into the pan and they're over cooked to end up a mono-tonal mush.  

I think Janette got it wrong and should have dumped the plate smashing, Greek Taverna idea.  She got fixated on the Greek theme and tried (unsuccesfully) to fuse Greece and Argentina at the expense of the A Tango. She could have made it a Captain Correli situation, the part in the film where they danced for the first time as a couple in the village square. That would have given a better mood, a chance to keep it an intimate couple dance, and the opportunity to include more of the essential AT footwork instead of wasting time doing Syrtaki dancing. I'll watch it back again, (probably on mute) but I don't remember a lot of the 90 secs being in hold, or seeing much AT footwork.  Much as I love that music, it was never going to work as an A Tango. Lets hope his Charleston is a good one.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:25 am

B4p wrote:As I've said, I actually like Jake. I felt sorry for him on Saturday. I know the A Tango was the one dance he was looking forward to doing right from the start, and I thought it was a shame that things didn't go well for him. I was disappointed for him as well as myself. I'm not blaming Jake particularly, I think he did the best he could with what he was told to do. I agree with a lot of the others that Janette is driving the ship and he can only follow what she gives him. I agree with Karen from the point that performance seemed stronger than substance.

One of the problems is that the mish-mashing of the classic dances, (exacerbated by the bizarre music choices), blurrs what the celeb is trying to learn. I don't think the celebs have a chance to capture the flavour of the dance when it's so distorted. It's a bit like all those colourful veg that go into the pan and they're over cooked to end up a mono-tonal mush.  

I think Janette got it wrong and should have dumped the plate smashing, Greek Taverna idea.  She got fixated on the Greek theme and tried (unsuccesfully) to fuse Greece and Argentina at the expense of the A Tango. She could have made it a Captain Correli situation, the part in the film where they danced for the first time as a couple in the village square. That would have given a better mood, a chance to keep it an intimate couple dance, and the opportunity to include more of the essential AT footwork instead of wasting time doing Syrtaki dancing. I'll watch it back again, (probably on mute) but I don't remember a lot of the 90 secs being in hold, or seeing much AT footwork.  Much as I love that music, it was never going to work as an A Tango. Lets hope his Charleston is a good one.

Can't you see? The producers are already polishing their final draft of their script! It's the "Jake was unfairly slated by C.raig last week and he fought back with a mind-blowing Charleston with 4 tens. Finally! C.raig dishes out his ten, before the final! For Jake! Surely, he MUST go to the semi-finals, and it'll be a travesty if he doesn't go through to the final and win it! Nevermind the two really technical dances left he has to do! Let's reprise the Salsa in the final! You want to watch the Salsa in the final, right? Sure you do, yeah, so just sit back, be happy and vote for Jake, you numpties!"

Sorry, once again, this is not directed personally at Jake, but you get the point about the production manipulation, from song choices, to the sequence of dances the celebs do etc. this series... clown
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:40 am

cellar-door wrote:

Can't you see? The producers are already polishing their final draft of their script! It's the "Jake was unfairly slated by C.raig last week and he fought back with a mind-blowing Charleston with 4 tens. Finally! C.raig dishes out his ten, before the final! For Jake! Surely, he MUST go to the semi-finals, and it'll be a travesty if he doesn't go through to the final and win it! Nevermind the two really technical dances left he has to do! Let's reprise the Salsa in the final! You want to watch the Salsa in the final, right? Sure you do, yeah, so just sit back, be happy and vote for Jake, you numpties!"

Sorry, once again, this is not directed personally at Jake, but you get the point about the production manipulation, from song choices, to the sequence of dances the celebs do etc. this series... clown

Whilst seeing where you're going C.D., I'm not absolutely sure Jake will even make the final. If Mark goes this week (in the order of things skilfully, he should, but nothing's certain) which of the three females can you see not making it, Pixie, Frankie or Caroline?
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:05 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Whilst seeing where you're going C.D., I'm not absolutely sure Jake will even make the final. If Mark goes this week (in the order of things skilfully, he should, but nothing's certain) which of the three females can you see not making it, Pixie, Frankie or Caroline?

I think the three very competent ladies are going to split the votes into thirds. I would say that if there is only one Pixie, or one Caroline or one Frankie, that one female celeb would have walked this. But there are three, so even if the viewing audience are using their three online votes for EACH of the three ladies because of their similarities in their technical prowess and artistic performance skills, Jake, in the mean time, would have droves of fans utilising their three online votes solely on Jake. Tada! Walk-away winner. Cool
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Beautifully put, B4.

Also, am I right in thinking I heard Karen say there's going to be a 3 couple final this year? If true, would be very interesting to see who makes it out of the ladies - I doubt it'll be all 3. They'll want 1 guy in the mix.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:21 pm

cellar-door wrote:

I think the three very competent ladies are going to split the votes into thirds. I would say that if there is only one Pixie, or one Caroline or one Frankie, that one female celeb would have walked this. But there are three, so even if the viewing audience are using their three online votes for EACH of the three ladies because of their similarities in their technical prowess and artistic performance skills, Jake, in the mean time, would have droves of fans utilising their three online votes solely on Jake. Tada! Walk-away winner. Cool

I'm on your side about Jake, CD, and agree with what you say almost 100%. I don't agree, though, that he will be the winner. The GBP often give second and even third chances but soon get bored if the promised comeback doesn't materialise.
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:20 pm

Sid wrote:Beautifully put, B4.

Also, am I right in thinking I heard Karen say there's going to be a 3 couple final this year? If true, would be very interesting to see who makes it out of the ladies - I doubt it'll be all 3. They'll want 1 guy in the mix.

How can it be a three couple final unless there is going to be a double elimination this week or next? there are six left for the quarter final.
I know that there was a double elimination one year but that was the year where they didn't do the DO and just had the couples with the lowest votes exit. How would a double elimination work with a DO confused

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Sorry mauve, I got it wrong (or rather, Karen did!). The BBC site says it's going to be a four couple final.

Just can't make my mind up who to get behind this year. Simon's come on leaps and bounds and his partnership with Kristina's growing on me. They seemed so relaxed together tonight. And he really has been on a bit of a 'j.ourney'. I've rewatched their Waltz a couple of times, and like it more each time - tricks and lifts are overrated in my book, it's the simplicity of their dance that made it stand out. Very tastefully done (but still not quite a 10! Razz )
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Darn! Biggins in the Friday Panel tomorrow. I am not near any tall buildings or I shall JUMP! Evil or Very Mad

Also, naughty backstage guys (Quido probably the ring leader) with their dirty laughs when Zoe asked Frankie, "Did you at the beginning of the show asked Kevin to go "harder, harder, harder!" ? Razz
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:36 pm

cellar-door wrote:Darn! Biggins in the Friday Panel tomorrow. I am not near any tall buildings or I shall JUMP! Evil or Very Mad

Also, naughty backstage guys (Quido probably the ring leader) with their dirty laughs when Zoe asked Frankie, "Did you at the beginning of the show asked Kevin to go "harder, harder, harder!" ? Razz

I choked on my shepherds pie when she came out with that! Innuendo is funniest when it's not deliberate, like there Laughing

I just pray Biggins never agrees to do the actual show Evil or Very Mad

They all look very good this week, it's going to be hard to separate them. Makes me think the dance-off should be scrapped from the quarters onwards...it's designed to act as a safety net for better dancers in the earlier part of the series but when there's not much between them, the audience should really choose who they like best and want to put through.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:39 pm

Biggins affraid omg I really need the sound off then! Watched him on Five go to Turkey he was vile.
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Sid wrote:Sorry mauve, I got it wrong (or rather, Karen did!). The BBC site says it's going to be a four couple final.

Just can't make my mind up who to get behind this year. Simon's come on leaps and bounds and his partnership with Kristina's growing on me. They seemed so relaxed together tonight. And he really has been on a bit of a 'j.ourney'. I've rewatched their Waltz a couple of times, and like it more each time - tricks and lifts are overrated in my book, it's the simplicity of their dance that made it stand out. Very tastefully done (but still not quite a 10! Razz )

Hi S id
I missed ITT tonight as I was working late. Well you know you and I nearly always end up at the same couple..................... Very Happy
Like you I'm always looking for the routines without the tricks, lifts, etc - probably why I like B rendan so much and still missing V incent and F lavia. I really wasn't struck on Simon initially but yes - the partnership has quietly grown on me. I'm also quite keen on Caroline too. I think it really is going to be difficult this week because quite honestly they nearly all have routines that suit them (notwithstanding some of the music as usual).

It has been strange for me this year because as I have said before - I just haven't had an outright favourite like I have had in previous years.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:58 pm

In a way I miss not having an outright favourite though mauve...I feel left out!
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:45 pm

I think Sid and Mauve this is why SCD feels outofsorts this year no clear favourite couple or a couple that have totally wowed me! Yes Ive grew to like Simon Ive rated Caroline as a darkhorse from the off! Yet none of the couples seem to be waving a look at me cooey im over here love me love me Sax flag my way! Ive had a tickle with a hint of one.
Plus will Jake finally show his SCD ace this week? Will Pixie atop being an irritating mozzie to me and Frankie well mmm get colourful? As I said meh meh year. pale

Whispers miss Thom and thats a shocker!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:23 am

You feeling the same way Sax? Tonight's show didn't help me come any closer to making my mind up! I ended up voting for Simon and Jake but that's only because I had free votes and thought might as well use them. I wouldn't pick up the phone for any of the couples.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:41 am

I was going to vote for Simon but we were having dinner and then the voting had closed...........such a short time this year Evil or Very Mad

No closer to making my mind up here either! Rolling Eyes

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top