Which Dance This Week?

Page 5 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Which Dance This Week?

Post  diamondsandpearls on Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Those music choices remind me of another film....

The Good: Footloose (I know it's not a jive but I like it and think it could work); The way you look tonight - Fred crooned this whilst doing one of his awesome dances which have inspired many an American Smooth; The Godfather one - it's a waltz, hurrah!

The Bad: Superman (what on earth were they thinking with that one?); Mama Mia - oh purlease....; Money - uh? Charleston?

The Ugly: Don't wanna miss a thing - I don't care if it has the right tempo, it is an ugly song with rasping vocals which conjure up images of the hairy men who sing it rather than images of love and romance and passion.... Goodness knows what it will become once Dave Arch gets his hands on it. I am shuddering even thinking about it!

Re The On The Town number - it's quite a fast tempo actually. Doesn't say Charleston to me and I think they will have to do a fair bit of tinkering but things could be worse.... It comes from one of my favourite musicals of all time and providing Dave Arch and his boys don't torture it too much I could enjoy this. Always supposing Thom doesn't torture it... Rolling Eyes
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:12 pm

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Thom. He must have upset someone up in Producer land.
Last week they had him dressed as a lifeguard trying to recreate Ramprakash's top scoring Salsa. Poor guy was on a loser from the start with that tall order. This week they'll probably have him in a sailor suit trying to emulate Gene Kelly. No pressure then! Plus Iveta has been keen to say this week they are not an item. Fun, fun, fun time for him I guess? Will we be able to tell if he's enjoying himself?
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:15 pm

Thomdoll surely either has upset the producers or had a tiff with a loved one?
I think the producers are trying to make Thom the pin up of SCD due to previous Rugby/Cricket/Gymnasts players doing well yet forgetting each contestant is an individual and not a previous SCD favourite.No he isn't Ramps or Colin,Austin,Tom,Louis or Matt! So stop trying to create a double.Let Thom get his own vibe his own personality (yes I know Im still trying to find it!)

Ok mini rant over
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:59 pm

B4p wrote:I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Thom. He must have upset someone up in Producer land.
Last week they had him dressed as a lifeguard trying to recreate Ramprakash's top scoring Salsa. Poor guy was on a loser from the start with that tall order.  This week they'll probably have him in a sailor suit trying to emulate Gene Kelly. No pressure then! Plus Iveta has been keen to say this week  they are not an item. Fun, fun, fun time for him I guess? Will we be able to tell if he's enjoying himself?

ThomDoll and Iveta could be bonking each other after training hours for all we care, it wouldn't matter. I just hope she (or the producers) do not try to play up the 'showmance' too much. It was the case with Camilla and that James Martin, which turned out to be just a ploy to get him as far as possible in the series 3. I don't mind if genuine friendship blossomed into real romance, like between Matt Di Angelo and Flavia. But no more Claudia telling us she wants to see ThomDoll snogging Iveta. Perhaps if he was unfortunate enough to do rumba, knowing he may not be able to be fluid with his body for that dance, difficult dance for a male celeb, Iveta may be desperate enough to bow to pressure and choreograph a tacky kiss on screen. Argh.

Last edited by cellar-door on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:26 pm

The whole sex lies and videotapes thing makes me laugh, come on. Most of the professional females are dressed in less clothes than they take a bath in, The Love God that is Leonard The Lion Goodman comes out will all sorts of near the knuckle comments, Darcy leers at the males and the fabu-u-lus darling one and Silver tongued Italian Stallion leave no doubts as to where their fancies lie and which asses they want to see bumping and grinding. T ess of the double-vowels and Pippi Longstockings twerp on perilously close to slander in their giggly assertions of romance in the shadows.... and we haven't even had a rumba yet...

How did that line go for opening the show, something like "Good evening, Ladies, Gentlemen and Children" in line with all that B.B.C family innocence......er.....yes. scratch

lol!
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:40 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:The whole sex lies and videotapes thing makes me laugh, come on. Most of the professional females are dressed in less clothes than they take a bath in, The Love God that is Leonard The Lion Goodman comes out will all sorts of near the knuckle comments, Darcy leers at the males and the fabu-u-lus darling one and Silver tongued Italian Stallion leave no doubts as to where their fancies lie and which asses they want to see bumping and grinding. T ess of the double-vowels and Pippi Longstockings twerp on perilously close to slander in their giggly assertions of romance in the shadows.... and we haven't even had a rumba yet...

How did that line go for  opening the show, something like "Good evening, Ladies, Gentlemen and Children" in line with all that B.B.C family innocence......er.....yes. scratch

lol!  

I have no problems with innuendos or judges (e.g. i-just-want-raw-sex A.rlene) lusting after hunks and beefcakes (at least three of the four judges), just don't foist a showmance on any of the poor couples on the show. They don't deserve such treatment. Last year T.ess tried to 'hint' to us the romance between Pasha and Rachel. Turned out to be true, but I was glad Pasha played dumb and ignore any nudging and winking...
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Re: Which Dance this week?

Post  mauveangel09 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:35 am

Loving the posts.............

I am despairing of these music choices - there are one or two this week that will work, Mr T's comments sum it up perfectly.   But what on earth is happening in Strictly land?? The music used to be brilliant but last year it seemed almost as though a new regime was in force which is patently continuing into this year which involves putting the songs and dances together the wrong way around - almost like someone who knows nothing about dancing is sitting there making the song choice the main thing saying  'ooh I like that one - let's have that in the show'  rather than choosing a song to fit the dance, so last week one of these shadowy beings would have said   'oh we must have the theme to Happy Days to end the show'   shadowy being no 2   says-  'but it is a charleston - oh it doesn't matter they can put something together that will fit'   affraid  affraid   I realize that the 'Theme Shows' have always been a little more 'loose' in terms of the music choices but it seems to be the norm every week.

I think we all know by now that the pros don't choose the music - I'm sure they used to do so, or I would hazard a guess that they used to have more input and that this has now eroded  - also there are now so many newbie pros that have come in over the last few years who haven't known any different - the older ones who are left clearly don't mind accepting the way it is.

Also - watching some of the training clips on ITT this week  (although they are brief and it is only Wednesday)  there is rather too much'side to side' and the celeb dancing on their own for my liking with a little bit of the core dance in the middle -   not impressed if this is the way things are going anymore than I was not impressed with Pixie's continual high kicks in the waltz - once would have been acceptable.     I also thought I heard A nton say last night on ITT that he was doing a lift?  Surely not in a quickstep?    I must have heard wrong.  If there are going to be deviations from the rules I hope that L en will preserve his integrity with this -   he was always the first one to criticise  A rtem for any transgressions.  

Lastly - as I finish my little rant- N athalie and S cott Maslen did an excellent, if not iconic quickstep to the 'Jungle Book' music a few years ago.  What with the 'Ramps' sacred salsa music being used last week, if SCD needs to recycle music, why don't they go back to some of what was used in the earlier years - after all they have an 11 season back catalogue.................................................... Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:14 am

It's ridiculous. Will they ever stop foisting animal-themed routines on Steve? Will S.cott ever get a grown-up routine to do?

And I'm sorry Caroline & Pasha but I loathe "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" with a passion. I'm probably in a minority on that one though so they shouldn't worry!

Frankie and Kevin's song intrigues me. I understand the rhythm might not be right for a Paso but I'm wondering if they can somehow make it work? I want them to as it's a classic and dramatic piece and in the brief clip of training we saw on ITT (without music) Frankie's movements looked beautiful.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:27 am

To all the couples

Next week we have the couples dancing to

The Noddy theme song

Postman Pat

Theme from Exocist

William Tells Overture

Twinkle Twinkle by Winifreds School Choir

Deep Sabbaths any music

Oh dance format just turn up and throw arms about,act stiff, look scared,make a cup of tea half way thru or just sit there and twiddle your thumbs!!!

No cats will be harmed during Postman Pat! Please change fake tan fir green spray for exocist

Thanks mad music selection team
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:18 am

Sid wrote:It's ridiculous. Will they ever stop foisting animal-themed routines on Steve? Will S.cott ever get a grown-up routine to do?

And I'm sorry Caroline & Pasha but I loathe "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" with a passion. I'm probably in a minority on that one though so they shouldn't worry!

Frankie and Kevin's song intrigues me. I understand the rhythm might not be right for a Paso but I'm wondering if they can somehow make it work? I want them to as it's a classic and dramatic piece and in the brief clip of training we saw on ITT (without music) Frankie's movements looked beautiful.

I am sure producers will not STOP trying to choose jungle/animal related songs for Steve to dance until he's cajoled into dancing in his loin-cloths. We still have 'George of the Jungle' and all the songs from The Lion King... Be very afraid (or turned on depending if you are hoping to see Steve - or O la, she's halfway there already anyway - in his underwear)...
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:45 am

Sid wrote:

Once more we are in total agreement Sid! I mentioned Caroline and Pasha's song in an earlier "the good, the bad and the ugly" post on music choices. This song was the ugly. How it can be used for a dance which should be beautiful is beyond me.

And I also agree that whilst Frankie and Kevin's music isn't a paso it has that passion and energy in it and am interested to see how it could work. Certainly not worse than most of the paso music used in the last couple of series.....
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:54 pm

I really hope I'm just clinging on to fond memories and "America" does work as a paso. I love the song but still think it's a little too light and bright, but maybe that again is just me. The skirt flicking is Spanish dance/flamenco orientated without a doubt, but the music? Time, will no doubt tell. A very well known male Spanish dancer, who I called friend lives and teaches in Puerto Rica, so......

As for Steve, I dread to think what they'll drag up as his themes. From "Born Free" as a Viennese Waltz, through White Hunter, Daktari, Jungle Jim, (said Lion King) and, if he should survive all that lot, culminating in him swinging in from the rafters, carrying O la ( who is carrying a chimpanzee) and  yodelling mightily..AAAAHHH OOOOOHHHH AHHHHHH as......Tarzan of the Apes. The mind boggleth . affraid

Do we think that the producers are being too swayed on the entertainment angles and not concentrating on dance? Are we -as a ballroom-dancing nation, being left behind in quality by cousins who are more famous for barn-dancing whilst singing "Bless your beautiful hide" and doing somersaults ( pointing out that Fred Astaire, Danny Kaye, Gene Kelly, George Raft, James Cagney and their associated female partners as objections is expressly forbidden. They, Fred apart,  danced on ships, aeroplane wings, in puddles, on drums, in King Arthur's Court and in farmyards, but rarely ballrooms ( Ah, okay, they did then, but not as much as us) ). Have we strayed just a bit too far from Come Dancing in favour of circus?

Finally, Gee, we could have Ray Stevens doing "Misty", that would liven things up on the maple boards...cos, I love it..Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko56rc30qdk
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks for the Spanish guitar piece link Tango. I'm partial to a bit of classical guitar (or any type really)

Steve tweeted that one of his ankles is fused. I wonder if this will cause him any problems with his footwork?
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:03 pm

It takes me a while but I get there in the end. I usually go with the flow because I love the show but I can now officially say that I have had enough of props, song choices that do not work and all the "faffing about". Saturday evenings just might start becoming free after all.....
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:23 pm

cellar-door wrote:I am sure producers will not STOP trying to choose jungle/animal related songs for Steve to dance until he's cajoled into dancing in his loin-cloths. We still have 'George of the Jungle' and all the songs from The Lion King... Be very afraid (or turned on depending if you are hoping to see Steve - or O la, she's halfway there already anyway - in his underwear)...

In that case...carry on! bounce Razz Twisted Evil

diamondsandpearls wrote:Once more we are in total agreement Sid! I mentioned Caroline and Pasha's song in an earlier "the good, the bad and the ugly" post on music choices. This song was the ugly. How it can be used for a dance which should be beautiful is beyond me.

It's soppy, overwrought nonsense diamonds - all screwed up eyes and ultra-sincere grimacing!

TANGOLERO wrote:Do we think that the producers are being too swayed on the entertainment angles and not concentrating on dance?

I think since the 2010 revamp they've tried to broaden their audience Mr T, to compete with X Factor; attracting youngster viewers and people who just wanted to be entertained and amused and not really caring whether couples stay true to the dances they're meant to be doing. It feels increasingly dumbed down and gimmicky. No sooner will the movie theme be over, Halloween week will be looming - a chance for more absurd music and over the top costumes and props!

I yearn for the days when they just danced - I don't care if it was Fiona Phillips standard, it was still recognisable dancing!

Wish we could put you in charge of music Mr T, and Hatlady in charge of wardrobe!
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Sid wrote:
Wish we could put you in charge of music Mr T, and Hatlady in charge of wardrobe!

I'm sure Hatlady would do a tremendous job Sid. Me, I'd get the sack after Week 1. Spanish music for Pasos, and Argentine stuff for Tangos', come on now, let's be serious? When I finally gave up on pop music, my son had just come home with a copy of "Karma Chameleon" I never quite got over the shock. Very Happy
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:11 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

I'm sure Hatlady would do a tremendous job Sid. Me, I'd get the sack after Week 1. Spanish music for Pasos, and Argentine stuff for Tangos', come on now, let's be serious? When I finally gave up on pop music, my son had just come home with a copy of "Karma Chameleon" I never quite got over the shock. Very Happy

Hang on! Karma Chameleon?! Maybe if the comedy route of being cr*p, sorry, crab, doesn't make Scott leave the SCD after next week, they may try the Russell Grant route, the Gay Camp One, with - gasp! - Karma Chameleon for Jive/Charleston! *shudders*
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:42 am

I wonder if Tristan changed his dance from a Salsa to a Foxtrot. Not sure Jenny could deal with a fast latin with lots of armography and possible lifts. Maybe a safer bet in hold (although, she'd probably still get away with some mistakes on Movie week)

Well, I've just noticed a lot of my predictions have materialised, Little Mermaid, Godfather, Caberet, Top Gun, Aerosmith. In honesty they've all been frequently used and I didn't think they'd use Footloose again so soon. I like it but it seems to be a case of Itchy Feet rather than Foot Loose as it seems to come back every year like a dose of Athlete's Foot.

Next prediction - Judy doing a Paso to 'I would walk 500 miles' Oh no - hide An ton's Rob Roy kilt affraid
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:29 am

I've just noticed how many great musicians are Scottish including Paolo Nuttini (his great Scottish name was the giveaway) so maybe Judy will get some decent tunes after all. Annie Lennox has been used a few times, and Sharleen Spitteri. 'Promised you a Miracle' by Simple Minds could come in handy. (Remembers Andy Stewart's Christmas Show, and goes away humming, 'There was a soldier, a Scottish soldier....)

DWTS has a Contemporary and a Burlesque week. Do you think Strictly will eventually get pushed down that route?

Last edited by B4p on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:30 am

B4p wrote:Next prediction - Judy doing a Paso to 'I would walk 500 miles' Oh no - hide An ton's Rob Roy kilt affraid

Yup, and A.nton in kilt again for that Paso, and Judy would pretend (or maybe she is!) to be shock when he at one point flashes at her in the number (or like O.la's Paso for Kenny in kilt, forced her to lie on floor and cover her eyes while he stood over her). Sort of a hybrid aggressive-comedy route that producers tried to get A.nton to incoporate into this routine. And the kilt. Did I say kilt?
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:23 pm

cellar-door wrote:

Yup, and A.nton in kilt again for that Paso, and Judy would pretend (or maybe she is!) to be shock when he at one point flashes at her in the number (or like O.la's Paso for Kenny in kilt, forced her to lie on floor and cover her eyes while he stood over her). Sort of a hybrid aggressive-comedy route that producers tried to get A.nton to incoporate into this routine. And the kilt. Did I say kilt?

Please, please, please, not "Donald Where's your Trousers?" lol!
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:06 pm

[quote="B4p Next prediction - Judy doing a Paso to 'I would walk 500 miles' Oh no - hide An ton's Rob Roy kilt [/quote]

[quote="TANGOLERO Please, please, please, not "Donald Where's your Trousers?" lol! [/quote]

Take it steady chaps - the producer's researchers could be reading this and pass on these genius ideas!.....

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Trying (and failing) to correct the quote situation....)
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:10 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:the producer's researchers could be reading this and pass on these genius ideas!.....
I think it's someone behind a curtain, pressing buttons and knobs and wizardry pokery like the Wizard of Oz
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:07 pm

B4p wrote:
I think it's someone behind a curtain, pressing buttons and knobs and wizardry pokery like the Wizard of Oz

If any of those ideas DO crop up then we will know for sure there is someone behind the curtain, reading our posts... Wink
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Re: Which Dance this week?

Post  mauveangel09 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:20 pm

B4p wrote:
DWTS has a Contemporary and a Burlesque week. Do you think Strictly will eventually get pushed down that route?

Yes - probably eventually. But then it really will stop being a ballroom and latin dance show because this goes beyond 'theme' - contemporary is it's own genre and so is burlesque (in a way!!!) However, I can't seem to think that they will get the contestants doing one of the defining features of burlesque - the tassle twirls - with their 'you know whats' in either DWTS or SCD Embarassed - although perhaps the idea is to get the 'hunks' doing that sort of thing - Steve? Thomdoll? The eyes start watering Very Happy

Really looking forward to the show tonight - I was a Donny Osmond fan in my adolescent years and I do like the film/Hollywood/musical themes - but as everyone on here has been saying all week, I really hope they do not butcher the dances too much (I'm still bothered about the prospect of lifts in a quickstep from A nton and Judy).

Enjoy the show everyone - we're nearly there......................... Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top