A Little Bit of Honesty.

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  jingle on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:16 am

Goodness, it's very quiet on here tonight....
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:33 am

Patrick – Patrick totally justified being saved last week with this Quickstep. It wasn't forgotten by the end of the night - in fact it might have been my favourite dance! 8

Fiona – This just didn't seem to go anywhere. Too pedestrian, too safe. And I was looking forward to it after seeing the training clips and song choice. 6

Ben – A good effort but a 9? Seriously? There's just no consistency or sanity to some of the marking this series. And the topless gimmick has been so overplayed now. 7

Sophie – I found this hard to watch. Hated the red latex doll look for starters. And the Jive just wasn't dynamic enough. The finals, never mind the glitterball are slipping away from Sophie fast. I hope (a) she survives and (b) the comments and scores will give her the wake up call she needs. I know she finds it hard to "perform" the Latin dances but she has to draw the inspiration from somewhere, somehow. 6.5

Natalie – Artistic, yes, but where was the Viennese Waltz? There was barely any at all. It looked more like a Rhumba to me. Not Nat's fault but this didn't warrant any 10s because it wasn't what it was supposed to be. Natalie Lowe managed to make the repetitive turns and reverse turns of a VW utterly spellbinding when she performed the same dance with Scott Maslen on Halloween night, I wish Artem had done the same instead of opting for all the extra faffy stuff. 8.5

Mark – Iveta and Mark didn't quite manage to pull it off this time. 5.5

Rachel – This, like Rachel, was nice. 7

Ashley – Ash drew on his acting skills well and the Tango was ok-ish but I agree he's losing his frame too much. And there's something about the position of his jaw I don't like. I feel that whilst he hasn't got worse over the weeks, he hasn't developed much either. Limited training hours might be a factor here 7.5

Abbey – This was quite atmospheric and I thought it was a good attempt at the Rhumba. I preferred the first half though. For me, the dance lost fluidity once the music kicked in.8

Dave – painful to watch. 4

Susanna – Danced with gusto and good interplay between the two of them as always. I couldn't imagine them dancing with anyone else. But I did find Susanna's open-mouthed gurning a little off-putting. 7.5

As you might have detected, I was quite underwhelmed by Halloween week. It doesn't help when your favourite is going backwards and some of the others you like aren't progressing much. Its shaping up to be a Nat/Abbey final but for different reasons I'm not mad keen on either of them!
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:08 am

I was working tonight but just watched the show on my TIVO box. Here are my thoughts:-

A great Quickstep from Patrick and kept in time superbly - loved it and no way should he be in the dance off. Natalie maintained her polished performances, Abbey as well grew into her dance, Susanna was very good and Ben caught the flavour of his dance very well as did Ashley. Good to see Rachel find some form. Fiona's Charleston was good in places but not in others.

As for those that disappointed tonight. Well Sophie looked flat tonight and this was her least impressive dance so far though wasn't a bad effort. Mark gave it his best shot but wasn't helped by song choice and wasn't a lot like a Paso to me - is Mark dance-off bound? As for Dave well I dont think it was his worst dance but still at a level way behind others - still the public will have their say.

Right now it is time for a rant. Am I the only one that feels Dave is being forced upon us? During the group dance at the start the cameras seemed to be seeking him out far more than others and lingering. At the start of the show we had Dave on VT doing the lead-in to the show. Then when he was being introduced we had Sir Br.uce egging on the audience to give him a standing ovation (the only celeb to get that treatment). Also feel it may be a bit contrived that he gets the cutting remarks from the judges - perhaps realising the public will vote for him out of sheer sympathy and wishing to rile judges. Rant over.
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  1superken on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:13 am

Im struggling to define which dances are which , im struggling to define who's good & who's rubbish & im wondering how  far is this from a lets just perform a 90 sec routine to any old music & we,ll give it any old name ? Question
Judges rave what i don't like & snag what i do What a Face 

Strictly come dancing ? .......... not sure , smells like what i abhor Crying or Very sad

Also that bugged me tonight the announcer trying be witty , i never heard most of the things he said , but why would a daft word make it more entertaining ?

Ladies & Gentleman , dancing the Jive , Its Debbie does Dallas & Rapp Scallion ,
1superken

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:07 am

Patrick - easily his best dance yet.

Fiona - well someone was out of time, yes, but I don't think it was Fiona.

Ben - thought the lack of top really exposed his lack of shaping and also he totally failed to get the character of the paso.

Sophie - easily her worst dance. Really plodding and bizarre choreography.

Natalie - well I could see why Artem did what he did because it went very naturally with the music. I think he knows full well he'll get points docked by The Love God that is Leonard The Lion Goodman but thinks he's in a position to take a risk and just interpret the music the way he wants because Natalie is good enough to get good marks/votes even after a point docking. I thought it was beautiful and worth taking the risk tbh.

Mark - No it didn't work but it whiffed of production interference in the manner of Victoria's Bicycle Race paso to me. Hope he gets through and does a good ballroom next week.

Rachel - didn't see what the judges saw. Her bum was sticking out horribly all the way through, her topline was dreadful, she looked utterly lost and was staring at Pasha in a "what's next?" kind of way at least twice during the routine. Thought it was a mess. Said to Mr Bear "She's not going to get it, is she?" Mr Bear was in agreement. Was astonished at the judges.

Ashley - loose frame, messy, wobbly.

Abbey - gorgeous lines, very fluid and great choreography. Just needed more hip action.

Dave - oh dear.

Susannah - a bit messy, no extension in her lines. Just OK.
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:53 am

I'm actually struggling this morning to remember many of the routines, which is an indictment in itself. I remember a couple do series ago really enjoying the Halloween night in spite of pre show reservations, but this time it was as I expected. I do think its time to put the theme to bed, it's been overdone and there are only so many songs that actually suit the theme AND the dance. The only one I thought was fitting last night was Stay with me. Everything about the night smacked of over production and I think that it why the dances were a bit flat - literally in some cases. I mean space aliens for Halloween - really? Evil or Very Mad 

Anyway to the ones that made an impression....
Natalie
Loved this, trademark Artem choreography and very well done. I think this was the first dance of hers that I actually enjoyed watching instead of thinking, yeah she's good, very good but... Maybe this will change the opinion of others too? I liked it unconditionally.
Fiona
I knew the timing was off as we watched, commented to Mr Alls and felt very smug when judges made comments. Always slightly worried when I make a technical judgement that I'm talking out of my ...Embarassed  but I guess years of watching strictly have rubbed off. On the other hand it was pretty plain to see! I thought this was going to be good from the training footage, but I was disappointed. I was more worried about Susanna's Charleston midweek, her music was pants, but she pulled it off
Mark
Oh dear.... I voted because I want him to stay, but that was awful.....
Sohie
Where was the jive? Hardly any steps and what there was, was poor. I am beginning to think that her lack of progress in Latin will cost her. Bad week, hope she bounces back
Dave
Least said.....Evil or Very Mad 

Everyone else...meh, didn't make a huge,impression ...........
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:58 am

I haven't yet seen Saturdays show as celebrating eldest sons birthday.Looking at the comments Im wondering shoukd I watch it at all?
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:59 am

saxonsiren wrote:I haven't yet seen Saturdays show as celebrating eldest sons birthday.Looking at the comments Im wondering shoukd I watch it at all?
Of course it is worth a watch. The usual mix of excellent dances and the odd really poor dance. Patrick's Quickstep was perhaps a breakthrough dance for him as was Rachel's whereas Sophie regressed somewhat.

I am mystified as to who will be in the dance-off. We know it should be Dave but his popularity will more likely than not save him. Mark landed an unfortunate mix of poorly choreographed and terrible music choice and it saw him put in his worst dance and should land him in the dance-off but again his popularity will rescue him I feel. My money is on Fiona and Rachel to be in the dance-off with perhaps Rachel being voted off - I hope I am wrong.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:09 am

Hi all
I'm afraid I didn't enjoy the show very much last night - I had my requisite bop to the 'time warp' in my living room and then it all went downhill from then on! However, having seen the song choices I thought I knew what was coming. The format seemed tired. On the dance floor I felt the standard was not particularly high - Nathalie was easily the best for me but I had issues with the dance itself. I couldn't really work out whether it was a case of the couples struggling to fit dances to unsuitable tracks that hampered a lot of them. Do the Pros get more direction from the producers about what to do on the 'theme nights'?

I'm not sure that the Charlestons worked for Hallowe'en and would have liked to have seen more of the dramatic dances like the Tango - although having made some of the celebs dance this in the first few weeks, it wasn't an option for many. In a bit of a turnround I was impressed with Patrick and was glad Rachel finally put in a decent performance. Very disappointed for Mark and Sophie.

Patrick - I haven't been his greatest fan so far but this was a great performance with loads of content and finally he was light footed!!!!! Room for improvement with his frame but this routine deserved to be up there and as the night went on I realized it was one of the best dances for me.

Fiona - As a character piece I really liked it - it had loads of traditional Charleston steps and I couldn't see that she was that far out of time. It didn't set the world on fire and lacked the punch of Susanna's performance but it was quite a sweet routine done in character and she has come a long way.

Ben - Not sure what I thought about this one except he looked like a Roman gladiator! At least it resembled a paso with the cape twirling bit etc. Quite enjoyable to watch for the performance but not the technicality - I thought the '9' from L en was way over the top.

Sophie - Oh dear Sophie!!! I echo Sid's comments on this one. I really thought that having a mixed reception last week she would have tried to up her game and give it some attack - don't know what happened but it looked very repetitive in parts. If she gets through I hope she gets a few weeks of ballroom as she has had two weeks of dances that don't suit her but as Sid says - celebs simply have to master both disciplines and become consistent in order to reach the final.

Nathalie - It was a beautifully choreographed piece which was danced perfectly but they only actually did two rounds of the ballroom in Viennese Waltz hold! Is that worth a '10'? A rtem did get a dressing down from L en but then he gave it '9' anyway which it was hard not to do because of the high quality of the piece as presented, but no way did this come anywhere near some of the great classic SCD Viennese Waltzes that we have seen over the years - and '10' at this stage in the competition!!!!!!!!! (sorry folks)

Mark - Found it difficult to watch and who's idea was it? From the moment he parachuted in a la widdy I was cringing. It bore no resemblance to a paso - it would have been difficult to do a paso to that music and wearing that awful restrictive costume - but when they went into the latin sequence side by side it made it even worse.....................grr!!

Rachel - Ironically I thought this was more VW than what Nathalie and A rtem did!!! Nice watchable routine where she was safely in hold for most of the time - she won't set the world alight and Littlebear is right - don't think she will really 'get it' now but this may see her through another week.

A shley - Again - I think the same as many of you - he is good but seems to stay at the same level each week. This had good parts and not so good parts, can't say much more.

Abby - Nice routine well executed - I thought she looked a bit wobbly balance wise in parts but she made a good effort although it didn't particularly wow me. I don't want to be mean but strategically Abby has had a few weeks of ballroom and dances that have suited her so she has been able to cement her place on the leaderboard a bit - unlike Sophie. I need to see her excel at Latin before I can put her as a 'top runner'.

Dave -Surprised there weren't more 'stunts' in this one - quite a boring routine I thought, although he did actually attempt to get on the balls of his feet and do a few jive steps - but can't say anything else!

Susanna - Enjoyed the performance as always. Quite a traditional Charleston that didn't rank up there with the SCD greats and in many ways I found it quite a similar routine to Fiona and A nton except that it was delivered better with more oomph and some good lifts. I have enjoyed all the musical tracks that Susanna and Kevin have danced to in the series. I am a Susanna fan but I thought this was a bit overmarked by the judges.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:14 am

Have just seen your post Sax - yes of course you must watch the show!!!! It was quite interesting to see a bit of a turnaround in some of the contestants - makes it less predictable - and I agree CC - for that reason I wouldn't like to second guess the DO this week.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  1superken on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:35 am

Agree with you Mauve about Susanna,s song choices , they've all been good & have fitted the routines .
Last night i think my fav dances were , Patrick, Ashley & Susanna , too many other routines were unrecognisable & if the idea was to make Mark look like an overweight man wrapped in clingfilm in a disco then top marks it worked a treat , but paso Doble ? . Nat,s performance was as usual excellent but was it a Viennese Waltz to compare to say , Alesha,s ? . Lots of scripted innuendo in the Tesspit ,  ''put the willies up you'' '' ive been pulling something all week '' & im sure there were more even You can call me Sir from now on's mistakes seemed scripted What a Face
1superken

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:45 am

Mauve I plan to iron & watch SCD in a bit! Still curious over Mark's outfit
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:50 am

The night was a bit disappointing for me because I’m not really a theme lover. Much as I love the past, Time warp is so old hat these days, almost in the Hokey-cokey class. I knew it wouldn’t be scintillating because T.V is becoming way more important to the producers than dance.

Patrick and Anya. Quickstep.  

Thankfully, Patrick ( making a fair job of the voodoo Baron Samedi) got things right back on track and turned in a knockout quickstep that was full on and fun. It was a quick trot of a dance, lively and well kept to time. Well done Patrick. 8,9,9,8….34.  A great score to match his dance.

Fiona and Housewives choice. Charlston.

Housewives choice manages to look sartorially adept even when dressed as a scarecrow. Not total brilliance in the dance, but pretty fair from Fiona. Felt the judges were a bit harsh as there wasn’t much to complain about. A touch of timing issues but generally fine. Much better.
6.7.8.7….28.

Ben and Kristina. Bat o doble.

Too much faffing with the cloak and not sure where The Love God that is Leonard The Lion Goodman was looking, but the audience loved the bare chest trick and Ben did pretty well in the dance despite the horrible music choice for a paso. Felt the judges were watching Ben rather than his dance….if you know what I mean…He’ll need a bit more than doing a Gavin Henson to proceed, but he’s dancing and can only do what Kristina gives him..
7.8.9.8….32.

Sophie and Brendan. Jive.

Do vampires jive? Oh dear, a bad night for the usually reliable Sophie. Looking like Empress Ming, unfortunately she jived like she was dancing on a hot water bottle. No spring, bounce or sharp kicks and flicks that the jive just has to have. Not her best offering and the marks reflected it. An unimpressive bouncy castle bop.
6.7.8.7…..28.

Natalie and Pasha. Viennese Waltz.
I commented in the week that their training looked very good and so it proved. Almost a Dante Gabriel Rosetti Pre Raphealite Ophelia rising from the lake scenario. ( I wrote that before Silver tongued Italian Stallion mentioned lady of the lake) Mist and mystery, class and elegance in a really nice offering that well deserved the high marks. Surely dance of the evening despite being rather badly described as a V.W. Pasha needs to keep the rules in mind for the judges sakes. Really enjoyed this.

9.10.9.10….38.

Mark and Yveta. Paso the salt.

Sadly, would have been better as the interval entertainment. A chubby Dan Dare sailed in ariely and didn’t do much else. A paso doesn’t relate well to comedy (John Sargent and Chris Parker apart, neither intentional) . Mark could be doing a double dance tomorrow I’m afraid.
6.6.7.6……25.

Rachel and Pasha. American Smooth.

Rachel managed to get back into the groove and turned in a much better offering. Smooth, well danced and problem free she looked much more confident tonight. Glad to see it.
7.7.8.8…..30.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ashley and put a vest on you strumpet. Tango.

As the only male really likely to trouble the ladies, Ashley did a decent job of a somewhat angry tanto. Carried it off quite well, but what was with the swinging around at the end? Very un-tango like. Sharp, fast and pretty confident, he’s still in with a good chance.
8.9.8.8….33.

Abby and Aljaz. Rumba.

Abby’s certainly come on, but I’ll maybe go out on a limb here and say I think the judges are getting a bit swayed by emphasising chemistry here. Maybe it’s the talk of fireworks pre bonfire night, but I thought the marks were a little OTT for a rather posey rumba that spent more time dancing to music than following it. Mind you the music would have better suited Darcy doing a solo ballet number than remembering Cuba. One day, someone will use Guantanamera a la the Buena Vista Social Club and give us a real rumba.
8.8.9.9….34.

Dave and Karen. No woman no jive.

Fred not astir here, and neither was Dave. A non-event. Red light looming.
4.5.6.4….19

Susanna and Kevin from Transylvania. Charlston.

Kevin looked more like an Irish leprechaun garden gnome than a scary werewolf, but
their dance was lively, well done and Susanna showed some nifty footwork. The crowd liked it and so did the judges and it ended the night well for all.
8.8.9.9….34.

Not my favourite night. I know people enjoy dressing up and acting the prat, but just sometimes it overpowers the dance in an attempt to entertain. All said, there was dancing and entertainment amongst a field where thefront runners are still clear but the pack are becoming evident from the tail end. Dave and Mark hover over the trapdoor. Onwards....Wink

And for a Sunday good rumba mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QO4aegj-jA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLr7Gr3Ur60

Last edited by TANGOLERO on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Well, I thought that they were really working the Halloween theme, some of the dances and costumes looked contrived to say the least. But then I've never thought much of their theme nights.

Patrick and Anya - has re-discovered his form and then some. Very nice quickstep. Fast and mostly accurate, some gapping, but all in all a very good effort. Patrick is starting to challenge Ashley for "top boy" which has to be a good thing. The theme stopped with the costumes which suited me fine.

Fiona and A nton - timing was a problem and towards the end Fiona was clearly starting to tire. It was fun and all in all not a bad effort, but I think that Fiona's going to have to do more than that now if she's to stay safe. This year isn't going to see A nton in the final.

Ben and Kristina - er....not too sure what happened with the dancing.....can't think why! Razz  Seriously, it wasn't a great paso, and the music was appalling, but Ben wasn't bad. Considering his starting point he's come a long way and is clearly a lovely guy so I think he'll be around a little longer.

Sophie and Brendan - Sophie seems to be going backwards at the moment and I'm not sure why. Sure the jive isn't the easiest dance if you're tall, but it can be done and it looks a hell of a lot better if it looks like you're trying (see Zoe Ball for example). The last couple of weeks there's been a touch of "too cool for school" in Sophie's dancing, rather like Lewis, Louis? (help I've forgotten how to spell his name already! affraid ) and I hope that like Flavia, Brendan can jerk her out of it. Sophie may be very good at ballroom and not like latin, but that's not good enough. She needs to do both if she's too succeed here. By this point she should know that she needs to keep her knees straight.

Natalie and Artem - beautiful dancing and choreography. Not much more to say and that's almost the problem. Natalie is so far ahead of everyone else that we're in danger of it becoming boring - the contest will be for second place. Of course, I still have no idea whether Natalie can dance a VW. It wasn't even VW smooth so I do think that 10s were a little over the top - and what will the judges do when she improves? They've got to have some wriggle room. Nice problem for Artem to have, however. The best VW for me is still Natalie and Scott - also a Halloween theme, but a beautiful, traditional VW that really raised the hairs on the back of my neck.

Mark and Iveta - didn't work. Shame because I think that Mark could do an OK paso if allowed. I hope that Iveta isn't being tempted to go down the comedy route. I think that Mark will be OK this week though.

Rachel and Pasha - nice. And much better than last week. Rachel looked stiff and there were a few occasions where I think Pasha was physically positioning her on the floor. She looked awkward and alarmed at times. I don't think that Rachel really "gets" dancing. No disrespect to her, plenty of people don't get dancing,but if she hasn't got it at this point, she's unlikely to improve much over the coming weeks.
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Blast! I clicked "post" too soon. Oh well. Here goes with the rest.

Ashley and O la - Ashley turned in a good tango. His footwork looked nice and sharp and he put up a decent pretence of leading. (Look, no man really leads O la. Even James doesn't try that.) His top line looked a bit soft from time to time but all in all a good effort and he thoroughly deserved his score. Slight grump here, but not about Ashley - he and Ben both got 9s. Was Ben's paso really as good as that tango? Really?

Abby and Aljaz - I was disappointed to be honest. Abby just didn't dance much. She posed very nicely, but the movement was rather lacking. And the hip movement was non-existent. All felt a bit like a rumba down the cat walk at a fashion show. And I totally agree with Mr D. It's about time someone did Guantanamera a la the Buena Vista Social Club and showed us a real rumba. I have a nasty feeling that's not going to happen anytime soon, however. Rumba is my favourite latin dance and the way they mess about with it on Strictly drives me wild. So to make up for it here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVFtTNwsKA

Donnie and Gaynor. She gets a bit posey for the first bit, but from a minute in when Donnie starts dancing...well rumba don't get much better.

Anyway, Abby was a bit overmarked I thought. Like Sophie, she needs to up her latin game a bit.

Dave and Karen - joke's worn thin for me. Just finish and go. Soon. Please.

Susanna and Kevin from Grimsby - great fun. Susanna pulled off some good foot work and swivelled enthusiastically. Not so much of the fancy tricks and lifts we've become used to in recent years, but that suits me. Susanna is progressing steadily and I wonder if she's coming up on the outside to overtake Sophie and Abby. Hopefully we'll be into the business end of the competition in a couple of weeks.

My tips for the dance-off this week are Fiona and Rachel. It should be Dave, but sadly I think we may see two or three people go before he does.

Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:00 pm

I may be going to get in big trouble here, and I'm sorry Tina Sparkle........but that rumba clip was absolutely awful. The Donnie fella looked like Count Dracula's deranged vampire coach driver having a fit. The whip-lash
posingwas reminiscent of paso cum tango on meths and about as romantic as a tooth removal. Rumba is sensual above sexual and relies on a story not lesson in whip-cracking. Sorry again, but that wasn't rumba in any way shape or form. Nothing more than a hip shaking contest with him winning. Okay, I'm leaving.....hurriedly
..Twisted Evil 
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallflower on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Weil I found it all slightly underwhelming last night Neutral Agree with lots of the points already made regarding the problems with theme nights, bad music choices and inflated judges scores.

Patrick and Anya - much better from Patrick. Quick and lightfooted.  Hope he can continue to improve

Fiona and An.ton - pleasant but not inspiring.  Agree with previous comments that Charleston is not really suited to a Halloween theme - but neither were their cosumes!

Ben and Kristina - recognisable as a paso (unlike Mark's) but a 9 from L.en.  Bare chest did nothing for me - muscular but very stiff.

Natalie and Artem - beautiful dance, even if not classic VW.  Really enjoyed this and actually enjoyed the comedy VT which is a first Very Happy 

Sophie and Brendan - I knew this would be bad as soon as I saw her costume.  What were wardrobe thinking.  She must have known she looked dreadful and that she had music that was completely inappropriate to a jive, which I suspect made an already weak performance worse.  Mad 

Mark and Iveta - playing the comedy card in this one, which I don't think he needs to do.  The entrance gave me flashbacks to Widdy and Russell Grant affraid 

Rachel and Pasha - an improved performance from Rachel.  Like Sophie and Abby she's much better in ballroom but still looks uncomfortable even in hold.  

Ashley and O.la - I enjoyed this, but Tango works better for Halloween.  His shoulders/arms looked awry to me.

Abby and Aljaz - not ususlly a rumba fan but quite enjoyed this.  A bit distracted by Aljaz was wearing my Granny's blouse that he'd forgotten to do up though Shocked 

Dave and Karen - dull, not even funny this time.

Susanna and Kevin - enthusiastic performance.  Think they managed to overcome inappropriate music well.  Caught the spirit of the Charleston even if the technique was a little ragged.

Not sure who will be in the DO. Obviously should be Dave but the GBP will probably save him. Could be any of Sophie, Fiona or Rachel I think.
Wallflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:34 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:I may be going to get in big trouble here, and I'm sorry Tina Sparkle........but that rumba clip was absolutely awful. The Donnie fella looked like Count Dracula's deranged vampire coach driver having a fit. The whip-lash
posingwas reminiscent of paso cum tango on meths and about as romantic as a tooth removal. Rumba is sensual above sexual and relies on a story not lesson in whip-cracking. Sorry again, but that wasn't rumba in any way shape or form. Nothing more than a hip shaking contest with him winning. Okay, I'm leaving.....hurriedly
..Twisted Evil 
No need to run, Mr D! It's all a matter of personal taste at the end of the day. However, Donnie and Gaynor were 14 time World Professional Latin Dance Champions and and eleven times International Latin American Dance Champions (both records still stand) and they're still considered the gold standard for competitive International Latin dancing. Donnie was actually undefeated in any dance contest in twenty years of competitive dancing. When I was dancing competitively Donnie was God. No question. I should say he's also a really. really nice guy. Not in the least arrogant or big-headed. He was always very encouraging of other dancers and works a lot with young dancers these days.

Somewhat ironically (from your point of view I suspect) Donnie spent a lot of time in Spain and Cuba and is credited with bringing Flamenco and Cuban influences back to International Latin. He is also credited with the Zombie cha cha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVFtTNwsKA

Wink 

If you can bear to watch it, it's worth it! It's a recording of a demonstration though, so the quality isn't great and they do spend time demonstrating techniques during the dance as it was a follow-up to a lecture earlier. The zombie bit is about 3 minutes in. Laughing 
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Well finally Ive watched SCD Halloween week. I have to agree with all the comments Halloween left me cold.I didn't sense the excitement or atmostphere as in previous series. I did enjoy Suzanna's dance & Patrick's & Ben's. Oh Ben,Ben,Ben oh the thrill only of the night those muscles & I loved the cape work full of testosterone.

Highs

Ben's Testosterone performance
Patrick coming of age
Suzanna & Kevin's dance
Suzanna's dress & Tess' dress
Brendan acknowledging the crews work

Lows
Mark's outfit
Dave
lack of atmostphere too much comedy
Music choices dreadful only Stay & Blue Moon Rising saved it
Dave
Overmarking
Dave (getting the hint yet)
coments not reflecting the scores
Sophie's dance drip dry warm

Im in a meh mood from watching I wanted wow showtime & instead got a soggy weekend in Margate Sad
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Tina Sparkle wrote: Somewhat ironically (from your point of view I suspect) Donnie spent a lot of time in Spain and Cuba and is credited with bringing Flamenco and Cuban influences back to International Latin.  He is also credited with the Zombie cha cha:
Okay, Ill admit it T.S, I'm not the world's greatest lover of International Latin. Not sure it's ironic, but male or female flamenco dance is always done solo without a partner except in folk-style dances such as Sevillanas.( I attended flamenco classes and workshops for a touch over three years in the past. If you want a definition of bravery it's a lone male joining flamenco classes with thirty females. Wink ) Male dance ( taconeo/ heelwork) is also somewhat akin to Irish dancing in that arm work is minimalised and not totally demonstrative. You rarely, if ever, see competitive flamenco as it's a very secular art form. Couples dance occasionally in ballet flamenco (mainly group dance) which is somewhat removed from the puro version. My favourite Latin dances are mainly those outside of ballrooms, mambo, Llambada etc. I also do wish they'd introduce Sevillanas into ballroom, it's a magnificent dance form that people of all ages practise in Spain. I'm your dedicated Fred Astaire lover. Wink 
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Avert Your Eyes:
So Rachel Riley exits Strictly in a dance-off remarkably against Abbey. Another wrong decision by the British public. I could have given the fabu-u-lus darling one Revel-Horwood a standing ovation when he lit rip at the public's decision-making dropping Abbey into the dance-off. To make matters worse we have to put up with the rank rotten dancing of Dave for another week.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Bah humbug!
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:13 pm

I was praying that it wouldn't be mark in there as no one was gonna survive against Abbey. He's not the best but neither is he the worst and I'd like him to stay awhile. Embarrassing now Dave - hope the GBP are also tired of it. Just goes to show the lack of fan base for Abbey though. I think she needs a charm offensive...
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Thankfully I'm totally immune to the lunacy of some of the G.B.P. It prevents me from being surprised by whatever manic stroke they pull next. Every year some decent dancers are sacrificed at the alter of idiocy in favour of someone who is in the public eye and favour. Skills are needed in a dance competition that are far above what you'll find in your average dance salon. Dave cooks and rides a motor bike, for instance, Mark cross dresses, acts and sings in stage productions. In the face of such talent Fred and Ginger would be voted onto the homeward bound express. There's a strong case emerging for every competitor to do every dance before any voting rather than some poor souls not even getting a chance to do more than a waltz or Tea for Two cha-cha..Not Abby's greatest fan but, like the vastly improved Rachel, she should never have been near a dance off with inferior competition still in the competiton. No amount of complaining will change things and Rachel bowed out with great dignity. Doesn't make it any easier to take thought really.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Surprising DO - I hope it doesn't knock Abbeys confidence too much, I thought she was shaping up to be Natalies main contender.

A shame for Rachel, though she took it very graciously and her performance was much better second time round I thought - glad she got the chance to prove herself after the dire paso last week.

Tbh, I'm not surprised about comedy Dave, but more puzzled about who's voting for Fiona. I was convinced she'd be leaving tonight. Shows what I know.

jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top