Search engines

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Search engines

Post  MrsArcanum on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:49 am

As we know from the bot Google is finding this site, as does Yahoo. Worth doing some searches on scdbbc to raise the profile Very Happy

I have submitted the address to bing as it was not finding this site apart from as part of a single post from Chris82 on the bbc blog reply. Always found bing blummin useless but most people don't realise it is their default search engine. Mad
avatar
MrsArcanum

Posts : 664
Join date : 2010-09-15
Age : 58
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: Search engines

Post  Mslightfoot on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:35 am

What language is this, there are some words I recognise but, mostly, confused
avatar
Mslightfoot

Posts : 747
Join date : 2010-09-13
Location : On the computer, under the stairs, Like Harry !

Back to top Go down

Re: Search engines

Post  ChrissyAnne on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:31 pm

MrsArcanum wrote:As we know from the bot Google is finding this site, as does Yahoo. Worth doing some searches on scdbbc to raise the profile Very Happy

I have submitted the address to bing as it was not finding this site apart from as part of a single post from Chris82 on the bbc blog reply. Always found bing blummin useless but most people don't realise it is their default search engine. Mad

Translation please Mrs A Exclamation
avatar
ChrissyAnne

Posts : 182
Join date : 2010-09-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Search engines

Post  fkaIgor *LT* on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:35 pm

ChrissyAnne wrote:
MrsArcanum wrote:As we know from the bot Google is finding this site, as does Yahoo. Worth doing some searches on scdbbc to raise the profile Very Happy

I have submitted the address to bing as it was not finding this site apart from as part of a single post from Chris82 on the bbc blog reply. Always found bing blummin useless but most people don't realise it is their default search engine. Mad

Translation please Mrs A Exclamation

I think its a way to help other people find the site, or at least to make more people aware of its existence - but, as usual, am prepared to suffer correction.....
avatar
fkaIgor *LT*

Posts : 430
Join date : 2010-09-09
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Search engines

Post  MrsArcanum on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:36 pm

The various search engines out there such as Google are used by people to find interesting websites and forums.

The more a particular site is found and selected following a search the higher up the list it gets.

Google searches do find SCDBBC but other search engines do not.
avatar
MrsArcanum

Posts : 664
Join date : 2010-09-15
Age : 58
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: Search engines

Post  ChrissyAnne on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 pm

MrsArcanum wrote:The various search engines out there such as Google are used by people to find interesting websites and forums.

The more a particular site is found and selected following a search the higher up the list it gets.

Google searches do find SCDBBC but other search engines do not.

Ok, got that, I think but what is a bot and a bing? Shocked
avatar
ChrissyAnne

Posts : 182
Join date : 2010-09-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Search engines

Post  MrsArcanum on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:22 am

Bots are the search engines finding the site.
avatar
MrsArcanum

Posts : 664
Join date : 2010-09-15
Age : 58
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: Search engines

Post  David Tee on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:54 am

MrsArcanum wrote:The various search engines out there such as Google are used by people to find interesting websites and forums.

The more a particular site is found and selected following a search the higher up the list it gets.

Google searches do find SCDBBC but other search engines do not.

(Puts on the nerd hat). It's a fair bit more complicated than that Mrs A. There are several things that'll put a site towards the top of a search engine's list, but a key one is how many other sites link back to that site. Back in a previous life I spent hours listening to online Marketing types banging on and on about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation - in laymans terms how to get to the top of the list). The only thing I really learned is that no sooner do you think you've got it sussed than Google decide to change all the rules.

(takes off the nerd hat). I quite like the fact that it takes a bit of effort to find this site. As Basil Fawlty would say - "no riff-raff".
avatar
David Tee

Posts : 693
Join date : 2010-09-11
Location : The 19th Hole

Back to top Go down

Re: Search engines

Post  Inanna on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:13 am

David Tee wrote:
MrsArcanum wrote:The various search engines out there such as Google are used by people to find interesting websites and forums.

The more a particular site is found and selected following a search the higher up the list it gets.

Google searches do find SCDBBC but other search engines do not.

(Puts on the nerd hat). It's a fair bit more complicated than that Mrs A. There are several things that'll put a site towards the top of a search engine's list, but a key one is how many other sites link back to that site. Back in a previous life I spent hours listening to online Marketing types banging on and on about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation - in laymans terms how to get to the top of the list). The only thing I really learned is that no sooner do you think you've got it sussed than Google decide to change all the rules.

(takes off the nerd hat). I quite like the fact that it takes a bit of effort to find this site. As Basil Fawlty would say - "no riff-raff".

...think thats a matter of opinion.....have you checked out Fka's hair!!!!!!
avatar
Inanna

Posts : 1253
Join date : 2010-09-09
Age : 106
Location : Nibiru

Back to top Go down

Re: Search engines

Post  David Tee on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:29 am

Inanna wrote:
David Tee wrote:
MrsArcanum wrote:The various search engines out there such as Google are used by people to find interesting websites and forums.

The more a particular site is found and selected following a search the higher up the list it gets.

Google searches do find SCDBBC but other search engines do not.

(Puts on the nerd hat). It's a fair bit more complicated than that Mrs A. There are several things that'll put a site towards the top of a search engine's list, but a key one is how many other sites link back to that site. Back in a previous life I spent hours listening to online Marketing types banging on and on about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation - in laymans terms how to get to the top of the list). The only thing I really learned is that no sooner do you think you've got it sussed than Google decide to change all the rules.

(takes off the nerd hat). I quite like the fact that it takes a bit of effort to find this site. As Basil Fawlty would say - "no riff-raff".

...think thats a matter of opinion.....have you checked out Fka's hair!!!!!!

Unfortunately, the system isn't perfect.
avatar
David Tee

Posts : 693
Join date : 2010-09-11
Location : The 19th Hole

Back to top Go down

Re: Search engines

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum