Strictly Books

Page 4 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  sparklysheila on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:48 pm

On the up side they're a hell of lot easier to skin up on though.


lol!

Shall I drag this thread back to books then?

I'm a sucker for biographies and have just started "My Shit Life So Far" by Frankie Boyle bought at the airport on the way to hols

If you hate him on telly don't bother with this as is it's his normal rude and crude style of humour. I'm still in his childhood years so not up to the drink and drugs bit yet but very funny. He admits to changing names, tweaking events slightly and lying a lot but so far there's a definite grain of truth to most of his tales.
avatar
sparklysheila

Posts : 489
Join date : 2010-09-15
Age : 57
Location : Newcastle upon Tyne

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  133-230-44039-18180-800 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Mila wrote:The depths to which this intellectual thread has sunk appals me (coz I didn't get there first) Sad

Intellectual ? I thought this was about holiday reading.


I've just finished Ostrogorsky's great History of the Byzantine State. Well finished re-reading it. One day I must tackle Wolf's Corpus but it is a trifle dry. And there's nothing worse than a dry trifle.

133-230-44039-18180-800
Admin

Posts : 672
Join date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Pat Shed on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Val McDermid is on R4 at the moment, discussing her new novel (4.00pm Thursday 23.9.10).
avatar
Pat Shed

Posts : 98
Join date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

first posting here

Post  ladycat on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Sid wrote:
MrsArcanum wrote:There are only a few authors books I will read over and over again. One is Terry Pratchett (have every disk world book at least once and others (these are my sanity keepers), Raymond E Fiest, Anne McCaffrey and James Bibby. From the library I tend to read historical crime stories anything from Lindsey Davis (Roman) to Janet Evanovich (Modern USA). With mostly mediaeval between the two.

Reading is the only thing I could not give up. Even eating would come second. Shocked

Me neither Mrs A. I like the escapism books offer too much. There's nothing more exciting than tucking into a new book (and I include tucking into a new man in that!).

The only authors I read religiously are Ken Follett, Philippa Gregory, Martina Cole (although a bit behind on her stuff and began to find it samey) and Agatha Christie (read all of hers now).


(i hope I'm doing this right Razz)
Have you read The Hitchhikers Guide? and what about The Dark Tower series by Stephen King? I love Agatha Christie books and am just getting into Terry Pratchetts (I'm from the states and didn't hear much about him (or if i did I didn't know -- being to young to care about authors at the time) sunny
avatar
ladycat

Posts : 30
Join date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  MrsArcanum on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:29 pm

ladycat wrote:

(i hope I'm doing this right Razz)
Have you read The Hitchhikers Guide? and what about The Dark Tower series by Stephen King? I love Agatha Christie books and am just getting into Terry Pratchetts (I'm from the states and didn't hear much about him (or if i did I didn't know -- being to young to care about authors at the time) sunny


You are doing fine.

Terry Pratchett is well worth a go. Rather an irreverent sense of humour and very British in style. Lots of laugh out loud moments so be prepared for some odd looks if you read in public.

avatar
MrsArcanum

Posts : 664
Join date : 2010-09-15
Age : 58
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  ladycat on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:37 pm

MrsArcanum wrote:
ladycat wrote:

(i hope I'm doing this right Razz)
Have you read The Hitchhikers Guide? and what about The Dark Tower series by Stephen King? I love Agatha Christie books and am just getting into Terry Pratchetts (I'm from the states and didn't hear much about him (or if i did I didn't know -- being to young to care about authors at the time) sunny


You are doing fine.

Terry Pratchett is well worth a go. Rather an irreverent sense of humour and very British in style. Lots of laugh out loud moments so be prepared for some odd looks if you read in public.


I read The Wintersmith not long after I arrived here and I loved it!! Plus I love teasing my OH about how a plate of beans takes a year off his life. lol jocolor
avatar
ladycat

Posts : 30
Join date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  MrsArcanum on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:28 pm

One for you should be The Unadulterated Cat as it contains many gems such as -

Next comes the realist phase ("After all, from a purely geometrical point of view a cat is only a tube with a door at the top.").

-- Getting Real cats to take medication can be a problem (Terry Pratchett, The Unadulterated Cat)
avatar
MrsArcanum

Posts : 664
Join date : 2010-09-15
Age : 58
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Sid on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:55 pm

ladycat wrote:
Sid wrote:
MrsArcanum wrote:There are only a few authors books I will read over and over again. One is Terry Pratchett (have every disk world book at least once and others (these are my sanity keepers), Raymond E Fiest, Anne McCaffrey and James Bibby. From the library I tend to read historical crime stories anything from Lindsey Davis (Roman) to Janet Evanovich (Modern USA). With mostly mediaeval between the two.

Reading is the only thing I could not give up. Even eating would come second. Shocked

Me neither Mrs A. I like the escapism books offer too much. There's nothing more exciting than tucking into a new book (and I include tucking into a new man in that!).

The only authors I read religiously are Ken Follett, Philippa Gregory, Martina Cole (although a bit behind on her stuff and began to find it samey) and Agatha Christie (read all of hers now).


(i hope I'm doing this right Razz)
Have you read The Hitchhikers Guide? and what about The Dark Tower series by Stephen King? I love Agatha Christie books and am just getting into Terry Pratchetts (I'm from the states and didn't hear much about him (or if i did I didn't know -- being to young to care about authors at the time) sunny

Hey ladycat - what part of the States? (and you're doing fabulously!)

I've not read the books you've mentioned although I've got Under the Dome by Stephen King in my to-read list. Have you tried that one? It's supposed to be rivetting.

I must give Terry Pratchett a go sometime. He's been recommended to me lots over the years.

Must say, I'm rather liking the addition of Pat to book corner Wink bounce
avatar
Sid

Posts : 2264
Join date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  David Tee on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Sid wrote:Hey ladycat - what part of the States? (and you're doing fabulously!)

I've not read the books you've mentioned although I've got Under the Dome by Stephen King in my to-read list. Have you tried that one? It's supposed to be rivetting.

I must give Terry Pratchett a go sometime. He's been recommended to me lots over the years.

Must say, I'm rather liking the addition of Pat to book corner Wink bounce

Evening Sid - I've got Under The Dome on my list too. I'm over in the UK next month so I'll pick it up then. Heard very good things about it....
avatar
David Tee

Posts : 693
Join date : 2010-09-11
Location : The 19th Hole

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Sid on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:25 pm

David Tee wrote:
Sid wrote:Hey ladycat - what part of the States? (and you're doing fabulously!)

I've not read the books you've mentioned although I've got Under the Dome by Stephen King in my to-read list. Have you tried that one? It's supposed to be rivetting.

I must give Terry Pratchett a go sometime. He's been recommended to me lots over the years.

Must say, I'm rather liking the addition of Pat to book corner Wink bounce

Evening Sid - I've got Under The Dome on my list too. I'm over in the UK next month so I'll pick it up then. Heard very good things about it....

We'll have to compare notes Dave Razz
avatar
Sid

Posts : 2264
Join date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Alder on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:41 pm

Ooo, a book thread! Cool...

I've just finished reading Jeffrey Deaver's latest thriller, The Burning Wire. It was good, though I'm so used to his twists now, that I was actually expecting one of them. Maybe he needs to make his next one really straightforward to catch all his regular readers out...

I'm now really tempted to buy Lindsey Davis' latest title, Nemesis.
avatar
Alder

Posts : 11
Join date : 2010-09-23
Location : Scotland

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Sofajudge on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:02 am

TompsHB wrote:Finished this last night Sofes. Do let me know what you think.

I thought it was quite good until about halfway through, then it all seemed blindingly obvious to me. I like the old brain cells to be slightly more challenged Smile

I'm now onto A Stephen Booth one called The Dead Place. Have you read any of his ?

I'm only quarter way through as yet Tomps, will report back when I think it's becoming obvious.

Haven't heard of Stephen Booth, I will check him out. Any recommendations for which to read first?
avatar
Sofajudge

Posts : 1058
Join date : 2010-09-08
Age : 94
Location : Trying desperately to find the FMB party.

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  TompsHB on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:14 am

Sofes ... I'm a bit anal about reading things in order.

His first book is Black Dog, followed by Dancing with the Virgins,Blood on the Tongue, Blind to the Bones and One Last Breath.

I'm on The Dead Place which is the next one in the series.

The books are set in the Peak District and centre around Detective Ben Cooper and his boss Diane Fry. I like Booth a lot, he's one of my faves.

Worth a try in my opinion.
avatar
TompsHB

Posts : 356
Join date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Sofajudge on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:16 am

TompsHB wrote:Sofes ... I'm a bit anal about reading things in order.

His first book is Black Dog, followed by Dancing with the Virgins,Blood on the Tongue, Blind to the Bones and One Last Breath.

I'm on The Dead Place which is the next one in the series.

The books are set in the Peak District and centre around Detective Ben Cooper and his boss Diane Fry. I like Booth a lot, he's one of my faves.

Worth a try in my opinion.

Hahahahaha!!! Sorry. ( Cough)

I will make a note of the titles, thank you so much Tomps. Always good to find a new author.
avatar
Sofajudge

Posts : 1058
Join date : 2010-09-08
Age : 94
Location : Trying desperately to find the FMB party.

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  ladycat on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:02 pm

Sid wrote:
ladycat wrote:
Sid wrote:
MrsArcanum wrote:There are only a few authors books I will read over and over again. One is Terry Pratchett (have every disk world book at least once and others (these are my sanity keepers), Raymond E Fiest, Anne McCaffrey and James Bibby. From the library I tend to read historical crime stories anything from Lindsey Davis (Roman) to Janet Evanovich (Modern USA). With mostly mediaeval between the two.

Reading is the only thing I could not give up. Even eating would come second. Shocked

Me neither Mrs A. I like the escapism books offer too much. There's nothing more exciting than tucking into a new book (and I include tucking into a new man in that!).

The only authors I read religiously are Ken Follett, Philippa Gregory, Martina Cole (although a bit behind on her stuff and began to find it samey) and Agatha Christie (read all of hers now).


(i hope I'm doing this right Razz)
Have you read The Hitchhikers Guide? and what about The Dark Tower series by Stephen King? I love Agatha Christie books and am just getting into Terry Pratchetts (I'm from the states and didn't hear much about him (or if i did I didn't know -- being to young to care about authors at the time) sunny

Hey ladycat - what part of the States? (and you're doing fabulously!)

I've not read the books you've mentioned although I've got Under the Dome by Stephen King in my to-read list. Have you tried that one? It's supposed to be rivetting.

I must give Terry Pratchett a go sometime. He's been recommended to me lots over the years.

Must say, I'm rather liking the addition of Pat to book corner Wink bounce

I havent' read Under the Dome, but since i'm a huge fan of SK i'm sure I'll enjoy it, and it is now on my 'must read' list. The Dark Tower series, is, in my humble opinion, the best of all his books, because he gives you a little of everything in a perfect package---sci-fi, mystery, fantasy, western and even a bit of romance. And the Wintersmith was my first Terry Pratchett read and found it very entertaining and funny.
avatar
ladycat

Posts : 30
Join date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Sid

Post  ladycat on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:05 pm

ooops, got so into talking about books, I neglected to tell you which part of the states i was from, Texas would be the answer. lol
avatar
ladycat

Posts : 30
Join date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Sid on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:13 am

ladycat wrote:ooops, got so into talking about books, I neglected to tell you which part of the states i was from, Texas would be the answer. lol

Haha no worries ladyc!

avatar
Sid

Posts : 2264
Join date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Frankie Spence on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:54 am

Back to One Handed Reading...

Sorry to take the thread back in time but I've just got back from a Wifi free holiday and can't resist chipping in.

I was given a Sony e-book reader, which I do find good (I'll never have to part with an e-book due to lack of storage space!) last Christmas. But I find real books easy(ish!) to read one handed. I do all my reading that way at the moment as I do all my reading whilst breastfeeding. Can't quite imagine breastfeeding and e-booking comfortably...

Have just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon. Wish I hadn't taken so many years to get round to reading it as I found it a real page turner. The book is beautifully written and very funny. 'Bleak humour' is how Ian Rankin puts it (on the back cover) and he's right, but the book itself isn't bleak, and the humour isn't dark or nasty, just dry and sometimes a little sad. The main character is so likeable, and came across as so vulnerable, that I just had to read and read (as obviously he'd stay safe if I was there to look after him!).

I also read my first ever Terry Pratchett (Soul Music) this year. I thought the characterisation was fab (Death in particular is fantastically written) but I didn't find the humour laugh out loud funny, which I was expecting. Is this one of his weaker books? Any suggestions for a better one to try?

Finally, Smile to the Elizabeth Chadwick reader (Sid I think, though if I'm remembering wrong apologies). I remember enjoying three or four of her books in my late teens/early twenties (back when I could still read with both hands...)

Frankie Spence

Posts : 25
Join date : 2010-09-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  MrsArcanum on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:32 am

For Terry Pratchett one of the stronger books for humour IMHO is Guards Guards
"'E's fighting in there!" he stuttered, grabbing the captain's arm. "All by himself?" said the captain. "No, with everyone!" shouted Nobby, hopping from one foot to the other. -- Carrott Making Friends and Hitting People

For a Specific Death book Mort is probably the best (Death appears in every disc world book except the Tiffany Aching ones)
Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges.

For a Witch book Wyrd Sisters is basically a crib on Macbeth (but with typical TP attitude). I found Witches Abroad the funniest.
"You can't go around building a better world for people. Only people can build a better world for people. Otherwise it's just a cage." - A Granny Weatherwax comment
study
avatar
MrsArcanum

Posts : 664
Join date : 2010-09-15
Age : 58
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  fkaIgor *LT* on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi Frankie...

I agree with Mrs A - Guards Guards certainly up there as one of his best - but I too found 'Soul Music' less enjoyable than most of his books - a personal opinion only, of course.

I don't think he goes for 'laugh out loud' - rather for a phrase or description that 'tickles' you - and which you find yourself re-reading several times, for sheer pleasure, with a smile on your face.

He has a wonderful eye, or mind, for the incongruous - I mean we ALL knew that Death rode a Pale Horse - but who would have guessed that he named it 'Binky'. He has a wonderful use of language too in conveying imagery - eg the pub used by the City Watch when off duty having a certain air of 'armourality and helmetness'....

I think if you read more of his works you will develop a preference for those featuring one of his main 'sets' of characters - the Wyrd Sisters, The Magicians at UU, The City Guard (with which I couple the incomparable and indomitable Lady Sybil), or Death and Susan Sto-Helit, for instance - but will also come to appreciate his cleverness, descriptiveness - and writing style across his whole range of work and characters.

Amongst my personal favourites are the City Guard (and offshoot) books - the Moist von Lipwigs - those based around Unseen University - and those featuring Death/Susan Sto-Helit (though not, for some reason 'Mort').

Amongst those I particularly enjoyed (though tbh there have only been about 4 of his works that I didn't 'like' - I cannot 'get on' with Rincewind for example) I would include: Guards, Guards; The 5th Elephant (lots of Igors Wink ); Feet of Clay; The Truth; Thud; Going Postal; Reaper Man - and of course Unseen Academicals - if for no other reason than that I (quite rightly) feature prominently on the cover Cool ).

avatar
fkaIgor *LT*

Posts : 430
Join date : 2010-09-09
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  fkaIgor *LT* on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:41 pm

Ooh - while I think of it, and am on here...

Would heartily recommend the Dr Siri Paribon (The Laotian Coroner) books by Colin Cotterill to anyone looking for an effortless read. They are well written, have lovely characterisation and are gently humorous. They have been compared to the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series - and yes, they are of that genre, but imo are far better and even more enjoyable.

And anyone with an interest in the current state of affairs in Afghanistan might find 'Butcher and Bolt' by David Loyn worth a read - a brief 'overview' of conflict and foreign intervention in that country over the last 200 years - eminently readable, and informative.
avatar
fkaIgor *LT*

Posts : 430
Join date : 2010-09-09
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  MrsArcanum on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:01 pm

If you can find any copies the "Ronan the Barbarian" series by James Bibby is very much in the Terry Pratchett mould. Recently re read all the Guards Series apart from Guards Guards which I remember too well.

Must admit to being very annoyed by the totally wrong casting in the Sky adaptations of Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic. Both Rincewind and Twoflower were played by the wrong person (or in the case of Rincewind the wrong Trotter brother). Always thought Brian Blessed should play Arch-chancellor Ridcully. Laughing They did redeem themselves with Going Postal apart from all the Golems looking exactly the same.

avatar
MrsArcanum

Posts : 664
Join date : 2010-09-15
Age : 58
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Sid on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Frankie Spence wrote:Back to One Handed Reading...

Sorry to take the thread back in time but I've just got back from a Wifi free holiday and can't resist chipping in.

I was given a Sony e-book reader, which I do find good (I'll never have to part with an e-book due to lack of storage space!) last Christmas. But I find real books easy(ish!) to read one handed. I do all my reading that way at the moment as I do all my reading whilst breastfeeding. Can't quite imagine breastfeeding and e-booking comfortably...

Have just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon. Wish I hadn't taken so many years to get round to reading it as I found it a real page turner. The book is beautifully written and very funny. 'Bleak humour' is how Ian Rankin puts it (on the back cover) and he's right, but the book itself isn't bleak, and the humour isn't dark or nasty, just dry and sometimes a little sad. The main character is so likeable, and came across as so vulnerable, that I just had to read and read (as obviously he'd stay safe if I was there to look after him!).

I also read my first ever Terry Pratchett (Soul Music) this year. I thought the characterisation was fab (Death in particular is fantastically written) but I didn't find the humour laugh out loud funny, which I was expecting. Is this one of his weaker books? Any suggestions for a better one to try?

Finally, Smile to the Elizabeth Chadwick reader (Sid I think, though if I'm remembering wrong apologies). I remember enjoying three or four of her books in my late teens/early twenties (back when I could still read with both hands...)

Hi Frankie Smile

Yes 'twas me who mentioned Elizabeth Chadwick. I read The Wild Hunt and The Greatest Knight when I was going through a spell of really being into historical fiction. Both were very good.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time is a book I keep meaning to get my hands on. My background is in psychology so its of added interest. Thanks for reminding me to order it!

avatar
Sid

Posts : 2264
Join date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Frankie Spence on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi Sid,

The Wild Hunt was the first Chadwick I read. Also read The Leopard Unleashed, Shields of Pride and Children of Destiny (had to look the last two titles up, but remembered the first two - hooray!).

MrsA and fKaIgor,

Thanks for the recommendations! Susan and Death were my favourite characters in Soul Music so I think I might read Mort next.

Frankie Spence

Posts : 25
Join date : 2010-09-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  MrsArcanum on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:38 pm

Frankie Spence wrote:Hi Sid,

The Wild Hunt was the first Chadwick I read. Also read The Leopard Unleashed, Shields of Pride and Children of Destiny (had to look the last two titles up, but remembered the first two - hooray!).

MrsA and fKaIgor,

Thanks for the recommendations! Susan and Death were my favourite characters in Soul Music so I think I might read Mort next.

If you like Susan then Hogfather or Reaperman might be better as Susan is the daughter from the events in Mort. A good Death starter none the less.
avatar
MrsArcanum

Posts : 664
Join date : 2010-09-15
Age : 58
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum