Strictly Books

Page 3 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Sofajudge on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:51 pm

TompsHB wrote:Ooohhh ... I'm reading Val at the moment PPG.

It's A Darker Domain, very good so far. My fave of hers is A Place of Execution... couldn't put it down.

It's Sofes not PPG but we do tend to like the same reading materials. Very Happy

A Place of Execution is my fave of hers too.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  TompsHB on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:17 pm

Oh bugger .... I need to get to Specsavers Shocked

Must have been a blonde and senior moment all at the same time.
TompsHB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:03 pm

What is it with this Val burd? Everyone seems to be reading her at the mo!

Which are her best and what order should I read them in folks? Smile
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Read Place of execution first Sid and then go for one in a series. Not that you'll take any notice of me of course!!!
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:15 pm

Sofajudge wrote:Read Place of execution first Sid and then go for one in a series. Not that you'll take any notice of me of course!!!

Course I will!

I'm ordering books from the library as we speak. Going to order 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King as well as lots of people have been raving about that one too.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsArcanum on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:32 pm

TompsHB wrote:Oh bugger .... I need to get to Specsavers Shocked

Must have been a blonde and senior moment all at the same time.

These are CRAFT moments - as a fellow sufferer I would just enjoy the confusion they cause others
MrsArcanum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Hello all bookies

I've given up on Labyrinth - I blame Sofes for putting me off it Smile

Actually it does always seem an awful sign of weakness to start a book and not finish it but I really wasn't enjoying it.

I've been recommended The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shrere, has anyone else read it?

In the meantime, I've gone back to an old friend .... Victoria Holt. Not works of great literature but very entertaining. I'm reading The Time of the Hunter's Moon.
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Yes. Yes. Yes. It's good. I love Anita Shreve!

Sorry about tainting your reading pleasure of Labyrinth but really it's dross isn't it? Very Happy Like you I normally am a finisher but life is too short, we need to forgive ourselves these fast life tendencies.

Victoria Holt, haven't heard of her in years. Isn't she also Jean Plaidy? Used to love her books.

I'm reading Val McD's A Darker Domain now. As always, very readable if not forever memorable.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Sofajudge wrote:Yes. Yes. Yes. It's good. I love Anita Shreve!

Sorry about tainting your reading pleasure of Labyrinth but really it's dross isn't it? Very Happy Like you I normally am a finisher but life is too short, we need to forgive ourselves these fast life tendencies.

Victoria Holt, haven't heard of her in years. Isn't she also Jean Plaidy? Used to love her books.

I'm reading Val McD's A Darker Domain now. As always, very readable if not forever memorable.

Yes, also Jean Plaidy - she wrote 100s of books. I will deffo read The Pilot's Wife now. A friend of mine at work recommended it (and we like the same kind of thing) - she said "Excellent book apart from the last two sentances" which struck me as really odd!

Not read any Val McD - what kind of genre?
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:29 pm

I can't remember the last two sentences. Memory is shot!

Val is a crime thriller writer. You've probably heard of the tv series Wire in the blood? Based on one of hers. She writes very well. If you read one of hers only go for A Place of Execution. Excellent and not to grisly!
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Sofajudge wrote:I can't remember the last two sentences. Memory is shot!

Val is a crime thriller writer. You've probably heard of the tv series Wire in the blood? Based on one of hers. She writes very well. If you read one of hers only go for A Place of Execution. Excellent and not to grisly!

I'm adding her to my list!
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsArcanum on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Pink Pinot Girl wrote:Hello all bookies

I've given up on Labyrinth - I blame Sofes for putting me off it Smile <snipped>
Labyrinth is good if you can get past the tipping point in the story (where the required narrative becomes an engaging tale).

Currently reading "The Sorcerer's House" by Gene Wolf. An interesting story told as a series of letters mostly to his twin brother. Not the best book to read when you are having trouble sleeping as it is so hard to put down. Shocked

For anyone who likes Dan Brown I would definitely recommend Steve Berry or David Gibbins, both of whom have a less obvious plot progression but with page turning stories and likeable characters.

Without the library I would be permanently broke.
lol!
MrsArcanum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:45 pm

MrsArcanum wrote:
Pink Pinot Girl wrote:Hello all bookies

I've given up on Labyrinth - I blame Sofes for putting me off it Smile <snipped>
Labyrinth is good if you can get past the tipping point in the story (where the required narrative becomes an engaging tale).

Currently reading "The Sorcerer's House" by Gene Wolf. An interesting story told as a series of letters mostly to his twin brother. Not the best book to read when you are having trouble sleeping as it is so hard to put down. Shocked

For anyone who likes Dan Brown I would definitely recommend Steve Berry or David Gibbins, both of whom have a less obvious plot progression but with page turning stories and likeable characters.

Without the library I would be permanently broke.
lol!

I buy most of my books from charity shops - I rarely buy anything new. We have a very good Oxfam book shop in Bath which is lethal if you just 'pop in for five minutes'!

Has anyone got one of these computery book reader things? (No idea what they're called). They sound horrid to me. I love books!
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsArcanum on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:54 pm

PPG I worry about the constant use of power with the paperless books. Kindle Book reader may well be the future, I just wonder how those of us who rely on the Library & charity shops would manage to borrow or buy second hand books with one.
MrsArcanum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:57 pm

MrsArcanum wrote:PPG I worry about the constant use of power with the paperless books. Kindle Book reader may well be the future, I just wonder how those of us who rely on the Library & charity shops would manage to borrow or buy second hand books with one.

Exactly.
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:05 pm

Whilst we're confessing to giving up on books, I abandoned the much hyped Wolf Hall after 50 pages. I couldn't see what all the fuss was about!

I'll stick to Philippa Gregory and Elizabeth Chadwick when it comes to historical fiction.

Am reading Class by Jane Beaton at the mo. It's about the adventures and ordeals of pupils and teachers at a girl's boarding school. So far quite funny and I like the mix of characters each with their own quirks, backgrounds and stories.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsArcanum on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:50 pm

There are only a few authors books I will read over and over again. One is Terry Pratchett (have every disk world book at least once and others (these are my sanity keepers), Raymond E Fiest, Anne McCaffrey and James Bibby. From the library I tend to read historical crime stories anything from Lindsey Davis (Roman) to Janet Evanovich (Modern USA). With mostly mediaeval between the two.

Reading is the only thing I could not give up. Even eating would come second. Shocked
MrsArcanum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:42 pm

MrsArcanum wrote:There are only a few authors books I will read over and over again. One is Terry Pratchett (have every disk world book at least once and others (these are my sanity keepers), Raymond E Fiest, Anne McCaffrey and James Bibby. From the library I tend to read historical crime stories anything from Lindsey Davis (Roman) to Janet Evanovich (Modern USA). With mostly mediaeval between the two.

Reading is the only thing I could not give up. Even eating would come second. Shocked

Me neither Mrs A. I like the escapism books offer too much. There's nothing more exciting than tucking into a new book (and I include tucking into a new man in that!).

The only authors I read religiously are Ken Follett, Philippa Gregory, Martina Cole (although a bit behind on her stuff and began to find it samey) and Agatha Christie (read all of hers now).

Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TompsHB on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:27 am

Sofajudge wrote:Yes. Yes. Yes. It's good. I love Anita Shreve!

Finished this last night Sofes. Do let me know what you think.

I thought it was quite good until about halfway through, then it all seemed blindingly obvious to me. I like the old brain cells to be slightly more challenged Smile

I'm now onto A Stephen Booth one called The Dead Place. Have you read any of his ?
TompsHB

Back to top Go down

Post  Pat Shed on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 pm

Pink Pinot Girl wrote:
Has anyone got one of these computery book reader things? (No idea what they're called). They sound horrid to me. I love books!

Yes, I have: a Sony e-reader. I got me and t'missus one each for travelling. It makes luggage a lot lighter and smaller, and also serves as a good viewer for digital pictures taken while we're away without a laptop. And you don't have to pick out which books to take before you leave and then think "Damn: I wish I'd brought 'X' with me". You can also read it using only 1 hand.
Pat Shed

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Pat Shed wrote:
Pink Pinot Girl wrote:

Yes, I have: a Sony e-reader. I got me and t'missus one each for travelling. It makes luggage a lot lighter and smaller, and also serves as a good viewer for digital pictures taken while we're away without a laptop. And you don't have to pick out which books to take before you leave and then think "Damn: I wish I'd brought 'X' with me". You can also read it using only 1 hand.

I understand that's useful when reading books about Vicky P.
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  133-230-44039-18180-800 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:20 pm

Pat Shed wrote:
You can also read it using only 1 hand.

Useful if you've download any gentlemen's special interest literature.

133-230-44039-18180-800
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mila on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:25 pm

The depths to which this intellectual thread has sunk appals me (coz I didn't get there first) Sad
Mila

Back to top Go down

Post  Pat Shed on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:26 pm

I'll set 'em up.....

One of the downsides however is that you do have to look after them more than you do paperbacks. If I put, say, an Ian Rankin down in the puddle of condensation caused by an ice cold Laurentina, then it'll just dry out and still be readable. Do that with an e-reader and there's trouble. Ditto for sand, water, chocolate body paint and sun-tan lotion.
Pat Shed

Back to top Go down

Post  133-230-44039-18180-800 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Pat Shed wrote:I'll set 'em up.....

One of the downsides however is that you do have to look after them more than you do paperbacks. If I put, say, an Ian Rankin down in the puddle of condensation caused by an ice cold Laurentina, then it'll just dry out and still be readable. Do that with an e-reader and there's trouble. Ditto for sand, water, chocolate body paint and sun-tan lotion.

On the up side they're a hell of lot easier to skin up on though.

133-230-44039-18180-800
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top