Strictly Books

Page 2 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:47 am

Sid wrote:Hi folks!

The Millenium triology was outstanding. I found the third installement most satisfying of all.

I've read some really top notch books lately:

1. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - very popular read about black maids working in white households in Jackson, Mississipi during the 1960s. It's both sad and funny in equal measures.

2. One Day by David Nicholls - an extremely smart, funny and poignant love story. The main characters become like your friends, they are so well written.

3. Twisted Wing by Ruth Newman - an excellent (if slightly gruesome!) murder mystery. I was constantly wrong footed.

The Book Thief is an extremely moving story and well worth a read too if you haven't already.

Hi Sid, One Day was excellently written wasn't it? And actually made me cry real tears at the end.
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:24 pm

Pink Pinot Girl wrote:
Sid wrote:Hi folks!

The Millenium triology was outstanding. I found the third installement most satisfying of all.

I've read some really top notch books lately:

1. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - very popular read about black maids working in white households in Jackson, Mississipi during the 1960s. It's both sad and funny in equal measures.

2. One Day by David Nicholls - an extremely smart, funny and poignant love story. The main characters become like your friends, they are so well written.

3. Twisted Wing by Ruth Newman - an excellent (if slightly gruesome!) murder mystery. I was constantly wrong footed.

The Book Thief is an extremely moving story and well worth a read too if you haven't already.

Hi Sid, One Day was excellently written wasn't it? And actually made me cry real tears at the end.

It was a bit of a weepy PPG, but don't tell anyone I got teary too, I have a butch image to maintain (whoever laughed when I said that, I heard you!).
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Thanks Sid and PPG I'm going to make One Day be my next read. Have just finished the last of my holiday books and need some more!
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Sid wrote:
allsewnonbyhand wrote:The Book Thief was my favourite book last year- absolutely loved it. the sort of book that stays with you long after you close the last page. Even persuaded Mr Allsewnon to read it and he loved it too. I'm waiting for his follow up book but nothing doing yet.
I read 'Alone in Berlin' because I wanted to read more set in Germany during the war , but was disappointed in that one. I persevered till the end only to find out what happened but was totally unmoved by the characters.

Hi Alls Smile

The Book Thief's possibly the saddest book I've ever read. You're right, it leaves a lasting impression.

Glad you finally got around to reading it Sid. It's in my top five of all time (so far). Deeply moving, with a humour and spirit.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Sofajudge wrote:
Sid wrote:
allsewnonbyhand wrote:The Book Thief was my favourite book last year- absolutely loved it. the sort of book that stays with you long after you close the last page. Even persuaded Mr Allsewnon to read it and he loved it too. I'm waiting for his follow up book but nothing doing yet.
I read 'Alone in Berlin' because I wanted to read more set in Germany during the war , but was disappointed in that one. I persevered till the end only to find out what happened but was totally unmoved by the characters.

Hi Alls Smile

The Book Thief's possibly the saddest book I've ever read. You're right, it leaves a lasting impression.

Glad you finally got around to reading it Sid. It's in my top five of all time (so far). Deeply moving, with a humour and spirit.

Yes I think it would make my top 5 too. And to think that I nearly passed over it in Waterstones because on quick skim of first few pages I thought the 'Narrator' would annoy me. How wrong I was...
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Oh I nearly gave up on The Book Thief after ten pages because I didn't like the style of writing, but so glad I persevered!

I'm reading One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson at the moment. It's a murder mystery novel and so far so good.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Sid wrote:Oh I nearly gave up on The Book Thief after ten pages because I didn't like the style of writing, but so glad I persevered!

I'm reading One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson at the moment. It's a murder mystery novel and so far so good.

Read that too. It is good Smile
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:11 am

Just finished The Holy Assassin byLuis Miguel Rocha. Dastardly doings in The Vatican. Not a bad read.
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:04 am

Sofajudge wrote:
Sid wrote:Oh I nearly gave up on The Book Thief after ten pages because I didn't like the style of writing, but so glad I persevered!

Read that too. It is good Smile

Thirded!
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mslightfoot on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:38 am

Well, during the summer, our bookclub decided to be a bit lazy, so we re-visited some oldies - The Carpetbaggers, I have to say was a right riveting read, as indeed was The Valley of the Dolls - didn't manage The Life of Pi, but will get round to it, more of a 'have to be in the right mood' book for me I think. Now reading The Slap, and if the opening chapter is anything to go by, it most certainly is going to be a talking point ! Our second book is Lacuna, have no idea what it's about yet, but my friends who have read it are raving about it, so I'm looking forward to doing that, and another friend gave me In the Blink of an Eye.

Of course now we've all found each other - I don't think I'll be reading so much as I will writing !

Perhaps we should put a book together of the best threads, or the pithiest comments !
Mslightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilypad on Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Mslightfoot wrote:Now reading The Slap, and if the opening chapter is anything to go by, it most certainly is going to be a talking point !

Ms Lightfoot, I'll be very interested to hear (read?) what you think of The Slap, as my book group has just read it. I won't say any more now.
Lilypad

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:08 am

Has anyone read Labyrinth by Kate Mosse? I've just started it and it seems pretty good. I'm wondering if she is a posher version of Philippa Gregory?
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:32 am

I've read it PPG. Thought the book was a cross between Philippa and Dan Brown. I think I had over indulged on the ancient secret society genre and didn't enjoy it to the fullest. So in other words, take no notice of my view.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:35 am

Sofajudge wrote:I've read it PPG. Thought the book was a cross between Philippa and Dan Brown. I think I had over indulged on the ancient secret society genre and didn't enjoy it to the fullest. So in other words, take no notice of my view.

Never xx
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  fkaIgor *LT* on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Sofajudge wrote:I've read it PPG. Thought the book was a cross between Philippa and Dan Brown. I think I had over indulged on the ancient secret society genre and didn't enjoy it to the fullest. So in other words, take no notice of my view.

I'm afraid I didn't enjoy it at all - but what do I know.....
fkaIgor *LT*

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:24 pm

Haven't read Labyrinth myself but know a few people who have and most of them found it a bit of a chore.

Speaking of Philippa Gregory, anyone read her latest The Red Queen? It's on my to-read list.

Just finished One Good Turn (Kate Atkinson) and it was very cleverly put together, loved it! Now reading something quite light - Going Dutch by Katie Fford.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Not heard of that one Sidilicious, I do have Philippa's The White Queen to read though. Any good?
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Sofajudge wrote:Not heard of that one Sidilicious, I do have Philippa's The White Queen to read though. Any good?

I loved the Boleyn ones but couldn't get into The White Queen.
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:42 pm

I couldn't get into her one about the Mary Queen of Scots either. Hopefully I will manage this one. Like you I really enjoyed the Boleyn set.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Mila on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:57 pm

Do any of these books have pictures?
Mila

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Sofajudge wrote:Not heard of that one Sidilicious, I do have Philippa's The White Queen to read though. Any good?

It was average Sofes, like PPG said not a patch on the Boleyn series.

Her Wideacre trilogy is excellent too if you haven't already read it. Plenty of bonking scenes bounce
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Mila on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm about to start Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, if I can stay away from this forum for a few hours Embarassed
Mila

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:42 pm

Mila wrote:I'm about to start Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, if I can stay away from this forum for a few hours Embarassed

Addictive isn't it?! I'm on Twitter now as well stalking Jimi Mistry lol!
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:27 am

Sid wrote:

It was average Sofes, like PPG said not a patch on the Boleyn series.

Her Wideacre trilogy is excellent too if you haven't already read it. Plenty of bonking scenes bounce

Read them Sid, enjoyed the 'special' scenes some years ago!!!!!!!!!!

I might skip straight to a Val McDermid I have on the shelf although I have an urge to re read The Historian.

Any more recommendations anyone?
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  TompsHB on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Ooohhh ... I'm reading Val at the moment PPG.

It's A Darker Domain, very good so far. My fave of hers is A Place of Execution... couldn't put it down.
TompsHB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top