Strictly Books

Page 6 of 42 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  TompsHB on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:52 pm

It really was a treat ... however I was stoic and didn't buy anything for myself. I made me a promise not to buy books for 2 months. I have 40 books on my "to read" shelf.

I do have a list of books I want for xmas that is strategically placed on the noticeboard in the kitchen though :-)

The paperback I bought for my daughter was £12.

Yes ..... 12 feckin pounds !!!
TompsHB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Pink Pinot Girl wrote:Enjoyed - finished it last night! I thought it was excellent Sofes. She writes beautifully doesn't she? Just been out to the Oxfam books shop and bought 'Seaglass' - have you read it? (NB - £2.50!)

Not read that one PPG, let me know if it's one to buy?

I would also recommend Fortunes Rocks, set in the past and A Wedding in December. Both are very good.

Tomps.. that is a feckin fortune! I bought my eldest Wuthering Heights, ordered via Smiths, didn't cost anything like that!
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  ewoodie on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:06 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Morning ewoodie (((Sid)))

On the subject of autobiographies, the two I read on holiday were Stephen Fry and Jack Dee. Both were very entertaining although Jack's was the only one that made me laugh out loud. Have also recently read Frank Skinner's which I thoroughly enjoyed and last Christmas my daughter bought me CR-H's which was also a good read. Chris Evans is worth a look too. Anybody have any recommendations for me?

Thanks!! I haven't read any autobios for ages. I keep meaning to read Paul O'Grady's first ab. Anyone read it? Nowadays I tend to go for 2 for £7 in the supermarket but we have a few good 2nd hand shops.

Sid - I liked the books you mention. I liked all her books wiith the exception of a couple of duds!!!
ewoodie

Back to top Go down

Post  ewoodie on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Sofajudge wrote:
Pink Pinot Girl wrote:Enjoyed - finished it last night! I thought it was excellent Sofes. She writes beautifully doesn't she? Just been out to the Oxfam books shop and bought 'Seaglass' - have you read it? (NB - £2.50!)

Not read that one PPG, let me know if it's one to buy?

I would also recommend Fortunes Rocks, set in the past and A Wedding in December. Both are very good.

Tomps.. that is a feckin fortune! I bought my eldest Wuthering Heights, ordered via Smiths, didn't cost anything like that!

Is your eldest studying Wuthering Heights?
ewoodie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:13 pm

ewoodie wrote:Is your eldest studying Wuthering Heights?

No, I just unilaterally decided that every young teenage girl should read it. She kicked up a bit initially and ended up loving it.

She is still resisting Jane Eyre (my favourite). Although I did sneak The Railway Children past her a few years ago. The trick I've learned is to say I'm not sure it's suitable for her age! Doesn't work so well now she's fourteen however.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm

No, I just unilaterally decided that every young teenage girl should read it. She kicked up a bit initially and ended up loving it.

She is still resisting Jane Eyre (my favourite). Although I did sneak The Railway Children past her a few years ago. The trick I've learned is to say I'm not sure it's suitable for her age! Doesn't work so well now she's fourteen however.

I like your thinking. I would add Rebecca, Gone With The Wind and I Capture The Castle to that list!
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Pink Pinot Girl wrote:I like your thinking. I would add Rebecca, Gone With The Wind and I Capture The Castle to that list!

Me too. I have loved each one. I guess Pride & Prejudice should be there also but.....I have to confess...I've never read it. Silas Marner is a goodie too.

Anyone else experienced this? In daughter's GCSE classes they study random parts of Shakespeare, not a whole play. It's a bloody travesty! Talk about dumbing down.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:23 pm

Me too. I have loved each one. I guess Pride & Prejudice should be there also but.....I have to confess...I've never read it. Silas Marner is a goodie too.

Anyone else experienced this? In daughter's GCSE classes they study random parts of Shakespeare, not a whole play. It's a bloody travesty! Talk about dumbing down.

That's crazy!

Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kytiara on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:29 pm

I know you probably all moved on from the OP some considerable time ago but just want to say (for the record) that I thought the Millennium Trilogy was ace.

Currently re-reading the 1st two Billingham books in readiness for the new TV series on Sunday!
Kytiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Kytiara wrote:I know you probably all moved on from the OP some considerable time ago but just want to say (for the record) that I thought the Millennium Trilogy was ace.

Currently re-reading the 1st two Billingham books in readiness for the new TV series on Sunday!

Is there? Must look that up. I enjoyed Billingham too.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Well, I'm all for the classics, but Shakespeare? I can't understand a word of it. So you get somebody to explain the language to you and then you have to decipher what the play means and then you read/watch it - having to remind yourself what every line is trying to say - and attempt to keep up with the plot (I have trouble with modern thrillers!) and then there are the puns and puns on puns that always by-pass me completely and I know it's very clever and moving but I always end up thinking it's so much b****y effort for little reward. I did Twelfth Night for O level and just about follow the story but don't enjoy it as I feel I should.

To take the best bits of Shakespeare and study them in depth might have captured my imagination enough to make me want to learn more.
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:39 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Well, I'm all for the classics, but Shakespeare? I can't understand a word of it. So you get somebody to explain the language to you and then you have to decipher what the play means and then you read/watch it - having to remind yourself what every line is trying to say - and attempt to keep up with the plot (I have trouble with modern thrillers!) and then there are the puns and puns on puns that always by-pass me completely and I know it's very clever and moving but I always end up thinking it's so much b****y effort for little reward. I did Twelfth Night for O level and just about follow the story but don't enjoy it as I feel I should.

To take the best bits of Shakespeare and study them in depth might have captured my imagination enough to make me want to learn more.

I'm convinced that almost 100% of it is down to your teacher FNO. My English teacher was your classic inspirational motivating character who loved Shakespeare so much that she made us love him too! We did King Lear and went to see it at the Barbican and all wept buckets (ok, we were emotionally charged 15 year olds but even so). But I do know what you mean - I won't be reading The Tempest on the way home on the bus tonight.
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:43 pm

I can see your point Fifty but am with PPG. My teacher was fabulous and instilled a love of Shakespeare, it was hard initially and then she somehow got us to 'get it'. I don't sit and read now but do enjoy a decent performance.

My 'O' level play (feel old saying O level), was Merchant of Venice, I still love it.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Kytiara on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Yeah sofes... it's on Sky 1. Sunday. 10pm. David Morrissey plays Thorne! Apparently he read an interview with Mark Billingham where he said we wanted David Morrissey to play Thorne if there was ever a series, got in touch with him and things went from there.

Fiftynotout: I'm with you on Shakespeare. He holds next to no appeal for me whatsoever. Not in print and in the theatre I can only stomach the comedies.
Kytiara

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Tell me more about Sunday night on Sky1. I absolutely adore David Morrissey - he is my big crush at the moment (at my age!!!).
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Kytiara wrote:Yeah sofes... it's on Sky 1. Sunday. 10pm. David Morrissey plays Thorne! Apparently he read an interview with Mark Billingham where he said we wanted David Morrissey to play Thorne if there was ever a series, got in touch with him and things went from there.

Fiftynotout: I'm with you on Shakespeare. He holds next to no appeal for me whatsoever. Not in print and in the theatre I can only stomach the comedies.

Funnily enough, apart from Midsummers I don't take to the comedies. Tragedy all the way for me! Bit of Titus gets me excited.

David Morrisey (swoons), not how I pictured Thorne but a lovely surprise.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:48 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Tell me more about Sunday night on Sky1. I absolutely adore David Morrissey - he is my big crush at the moment (at my age!!!).

Hi five!
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Kytiara on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:52 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Tell me more about Sunday night on Sky1. I absolutely adore David Morrissey - he is my big crush at the moment (at my age!!!).

Laughing Well you're in luck! Whet your appetite here madam: http://www.suite101.com/content/thorne-new-sky-one-crime-drama-starring-david-morrissey-a293191

I've already got it on the tv planner so there's no way I can possibly miss it!

Last edited by Kytiara on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kytiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kytiara on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Sofajudge wrote:Funnily enough, apart from Midsummers I don't take to the comedies. Tragedy all the way for me! Bit of Titus gets me excited.

David Morrisey (swoons), not how I pictured Thorne but a lovely surprise.

To be fair I'm not a huge fan of the comedies either sofes... I just view them as the lesser evil if I were forced at gunpoint to watch a Shakespeare play. Wink
Kytiara

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks Kytiara, that's going straight on SkyPlus as soon as I get home!
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:45 pm

Sofajudge wrote:

Hey Sofes x

I finally got round to reading Wuthering Heights last year and was so disappointed. I found it very hard going and I couldn't sympathise with any of the characters.

I love your suggestion of Silas Marner though. I did that for my GCSE's and thought it was a beautifully written book (oh and incidentally, the film featured Pat$y Kensit as Eppie!). The best classic I've read though has to be Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - it will stay with me forever.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:50 pm

Hey Sofes x

I finally got round to reading Wuthering Heights last year and was so disappointed. I found it very hard going and I couldn't sympathise with any of the characters.

I love your suggestion of Silas Marner though. I did that for my GCSE's and thought it was a beautifully written book (oh and incidentally, the film featured Pat$y Kensit as Eppie!). The best classic I've read though has to be Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - it will stay with me forever

I adored Rebecca Sid. We read it as part of a book club I used to belong to and I took it deeply personally when people didn't like it (I know, I know - bit stupid in a book club). Some of the people there said that the second Mrs DeW was a drip and should have stood up to Mrs Danvers.... D'Oh (I didn't say that) - missing the whole point of that time and that lifestyle just a bit!

Last edited by Pink Pinot Girl on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : included more than one quote and will have a knuckle rap from the admin)
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:08 pm

[quote="Sid"]
Sofajudge wrote:Hey Sofes x

I love your suggestion of Silas Marner though. I did that for my GCSE's and thought it was a beautifully written book (oh and incidentally, the film featured Pat$y Kensit as Eppie!). The best classic I've read though has to be Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - it will stay with me forever.

Sid!!!!!!!! x

I loved it but then again when I read it I was a hormonally challenged teen. I loved Heathcliff. On re-reading two decades later I thought he was a total arse! Still loved the passion though.

I must watch Silas Marner, is that the version with Ben Kingsley or have I made that up?

Rebecca is fab, I loved Frenchman's Creek too.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Afternoon PPG! x

I don't blame you for taking the criticisms of Rebecca to heart - how can anyone not like that book!?

Sofes - yes Ben Kingsley plays the lead role in the film version of Silas Marner I mentioned! It must be about 20 yrs old now but I thought it was well done Smile

Jamaica Inn and My Cousin Rachel were the other books by du Maurier that I really enjoyed.

As for Wuthering Heights, I do love the Kate Bush track! But I struggle to find anything positive to say about the novel. I've never been so disappointed about a book in my life!
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  ewoodie on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:52 pm

Sofajudge wrote:

I like your thinking too. Your daughter is so lucky to have a parent like you. Although I must say in this day and age you are lucky yo have a daughter who will actually read a book, let alone classic fiction. Jane Eyre is a fave in my house. Not only have we read the book but we have DVDs of different productions!!!

PPG I like your suggestions. Has anyone ever read Peyton Place by Grace Metalious? It's a book I've read a number times and I highly recommend it.
ewoodie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 42 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top