Strictly Books

Page 42 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:56 am

Sid wrote:Oh I gave up on Wolf Hall, couldn't get into the style of it at all. It does seem to polarise opinion.

I've just finished Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty - utterly riveting. Highly recommend it.

I read the Amazon reviews in Wolf Hall, Sid, so I went into the book expecting to be irritated. I think that diffused Mantel's individual (to say the least) style for me and I ended up cherishing every word.

We also have a secret Santa at my book club where we take a loved book off our own shelf as a gift. Trouble is I cant bear parting with my books!
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Sofa I cannot part with my CJ Sansom Shardlake series or My Hilary Mantle.My bookclub secret santa we just advise the book & explain why we chose it for them no purchase! We all swop books reguarly & its amazing the choice we have to choose from! Just got Bridget Jones About A Boy to read Ill give it a whirl
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:18 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Sofa I cannot part with my CJ Sansom Shardlake series or My Hilary Mantle.My bookclub secret santa we just advise the book & explain why we chose it for them no purchase! We all swop books reguarly & its amazing the choice we have to choose from! Just got Bridget Jones About A Boy to read Ill give it a whirl

That's a nice idea Sax. I don't mind lending books but I have to have them back. Far too possessive!

Im a huge Sansom fan too, love Shardlake series passionately and so does my OH, we keep going on and on about it being time for a new one.

I've also been enjoying the Phil Rickman, Merrily Warkins series, featuring a female deliverance minister. They are surprisingly good.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Im like you Sofa waiting on tenterhooks for another Shardlake book.There must be one more book at least! My favourite Revelations & Dark Fire! I haven't tried Phil Rickman I shall check it out!
Read all Phillipa Gregory's books & addicted to Tudor History!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Sofajudge wrote:
Im a huge Sansom fan too, love Shardlake series passionately and so does my OH, we keep going on and on about it being time for a new one.
Ooh yes, we do too! I keep looking C J Sansom up on Amazon to see if there's any sign of another Shardlake. Brilliant books.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:27 pm

jingle wrote:
Ooh yes, we do too! I keep looking C J Sansom up on Amazon to see if there's any sign of another Shardlake. Brilliant books.

Well one he does release another, me, you and Sax can break open a bottle...

Get writing Sansom!
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:55 pm

On his website lots of fans are waiting for Shardlake to emerge again! I will crack open a bottle of bubbly settle on sofa cmfy cushions & delve into Shardlake's life & thoughts! So please,please C J Sansom write the book!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:57 am

12 Days of Christmas Kindle sale! Im a new Kindle owner (November) I download books yet still go & pick up a book to read! Maybe Im a purist? I love the feel of a book.I have read two books so far. on the Kindle! I aim to read more as I have put a few wanted books on there!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  lualen on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi Sax - welcome to the Kindle world!! I succumbed just over a year ago (although I still love the feel and smell of a new real book that nobody else has read!!) The first book I downloaded I absolutely hated, can't even remember what it was now, but on reflection not sure if it was the actual book or just the fact that I wasn't used to a kindle. However, like it now and got loads of cheap and free books in my to-read folder - currently reading the latest Ian Rankin, Saints of the Shadow Bible.
lualen

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Im sure I will get used to it.Seems strange when reading not to see the pages "grow". I put on the Kindle books I want to read to make me use it more Smile
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 am

Im loving my new book The Kitchen House book totally emerged in the story & the characters.Read for hours yesterday & it felt only a short time! Have a queue of books ready to read on The Kindle decided one a month to read on it & still books you pick up! Im a hybrid.
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:50 pm

I do envy you Sax, wish I was able to read more these days. I miss books  Crying or Very sad  The only stuff I'm reading at the moment is my university texts, which to me is like reading pure goobledegook. I'm sooooo far behind in the course, it's putting me off reading for pleasure.

Glad you're liking the kindle - think I'm still an old stick-in-the-mud paper sort of person (though all the university stuff is done on-line. There's even a web forum to discuss lofty ideas....needless to say, I don't post much on that one....)

What's the Kitchen House about?
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi Jingle The Kitchen House is set in 1800 in the South.A young 7 year old white girl is brought to the plantation house by the Captain that owns the house.During the short trip to Dusseldorf from Ireland she is left orphaned parents die .She & her younger brother are "sold" to pay off the parents debt.She is not allowed in as family instead she is expected to live/work with the slaves.She is not seen as white at all. There are lots of tragedies in her early life with her adopted family & the family in the big house have their secrets too. When she is 13 she is suddenly seen as white & moved into the family.She is torn between two worlds & her loyalty tested to both sides.A really good book to lose yourself in.So far 3/4 done!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Sounds like an interesting idea for a book Sax, glad you're enjoying it.

Are you still going to your local book club too?
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi Jingle

Ive finished the book in three days I couldn't put it down.A really good read.Yes I go to two book clubs! One at my local tea shop lovely informal group.I go to another since November in a library in town its formal,a bit of a pain as Saturday 11am! My other is alternative Tues/Wednesdays at 5:30pm.So far library choices have been dire & Ive struggled to read some.Our local bookclub we just suggest books as we go along! We alao have been out together for a curry after the book club & had a Christmas Party night in the shop!#wineinateacup evening!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Just finished The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom a brilliant read I couldn't put it down.I finished it in three days I recommended it as a secret santa book too.I was thrilled when she advised she loved it & couldn't put it down either!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Got hold of a real bargain today. A copy of L en Goodman's Dancing around Britain, apparently produced in 2014. Almost 300 pages of all that dance and dance halls have been in our lives, from the second world war to the present. Absolutely love it. It retailed at £18:99 when it came out, I bought it in a local Home Bargains store, brand new for £3......Yeahhhhhh. Merry Christmas already...cheers
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Ooh sounds a good deal I might go and check my branch for a copy. It will be a good suprise present
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Wedding anniversary present; an Omnibus edition,"The Complete Novels of Jane Austen", in hardback, and if I hear any males laughing I'll smash em with a stick of rhubarb and dunk em in white soup.....so there!...(Actually, delighted as I know the stories inside out anyway, but only had Preide and Prejudice in hardback. cheers
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:59 pm

cyclops ooh sounds fab!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:10 pm

What a thoughtful gift. It's great when someone hits the nail on the head like that. Good job, whoever came up with that idea.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:05 pm

B4p wrote:What a thoughtful gift. It's great when someone hits the nail on the head like that. Good job, whoever came up with that idea.

Well, actually, B4p, I may have mentioned/hinted at what a bargain it sounded. All in the best possible taste of course..... Wink
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Off to see Jane Eyre tonight. Not my favourite book of Jane's. A birthday present brought against my wishes! Mother in laws!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:20 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Off to see Jane Eyre tonight.  Not my favourite book of Jane's. A birthday present brought against my wishes! Mother in laws!

You mean Charlotte Bronte of course, Sax.Wink
I've read all the Bronte sisters books, but Jane Austen I can re-read time and time again. There is very little humour in the Brontes, whilst Jane Austen's works are full of it. I've been to Haworth several times, indeed I lived in that part of the world for a couple of years. On dreary winter days it's understandable why the dark undertones.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Doh Mr T! See the excitement of Jane Eyre threw me re Bronte/Austin....
Omg pale pale pale Well 7 pm and play starts 16 minutes in thinking when is the interval. At 8.00 still going strong -the play not me! Thought ooh all in one go great soon be over. 8-30! End part one... I wanted to bale as bored rigid and tummy pain really bad ... no thought stick thru til end 10-10 pm... No No 20 minutes in I'm doubled up in agony, I have a very full stoma bag and I'm terrified ill leak over all ... I decide to leave. Oh the tsks,looks etc. Worst offender the visually impaired man with his dog at end but one seat. Just step over dog mm no room and I'm juggling gripping pains and holding my bag/tummy....

Made it to disabled toilets then horror today realised left purse. .... rang theatre after 20 mins rang back found.... cards there intact but the £20 note & €10 gone plus odd £ cons, . lottery tickets still inside. Why hand purse in yet take cash? Checked bank account nothing taken but bit apprehensive re cloning caRd?

So play dire,drab and without good fortune
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 42 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42

View previous topic View next topic Back to top