Strictly Books

Page 5 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strictly Books

Post  fkaIgor *LT* on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:55 pm

MrsArcanum wrote:
If you like Susan then Hogfather or Reaperman might be better as Susan is the daughter from the events in Mort. A good Death starter none the less.

I agree - I enjoyed Reaperman and Hogfather much more than I did Mort....
fkaIgor *LT*

Back to top Go down

Post  Pat Shed on Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:41 am

Frankie Spence wrote:Have just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon.....I found it a real page turner. The book is beautifully written and very funny. 'Bleak humour' is how Ian Rankin puts it (on the back cover) and he's right, but the book itself isn't bleak, and the humour isn't dark or nasty, just dry and sometimes a little sad. The main character is so likeable, and came across as so vulnerable, that I just had to read and read...

Precisely my experience with that novel. I started it in bed one Friday night, and next thing I knew rosy-fingered dawn was breaking across the city and I'd wolfed it down in one sitting.
Pat Shed

Back to top Go down

Post  133-230-44039-18180-800 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:57 pm

Pat Shed wrote:

Precisely my experience with that novel. I started it in bed one Friday night, and next thing I knew rosy-fingered dawn was breaking across the city and I'd wolfed it down in one sitting.

Oddly enough I read it in one sitting too. On a flight to Bari; well in the airport before as well so there was a bit of a getting on a plane interruption.

Can't say I liked it all that much at the time but in retrospect I must have at least found it gripping.

133-230-44039-18180-800
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Hey gang, just been away for a few days so missed all the chat. Managed to read six books, including two autobiographies (a weakness of mine) but struggled with David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas (even though it was shortlisted for a prize). Has anybody read it?
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:29 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Hey gang, just been away for a few days so missed all the chat. Managed to read six books, including two autobiographies (a weakness of mine) but struggled with David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas (even though it was shortlisted for a prize). Has anybody read it?

FNO! Missed you, I was worried you had gone and weren't coming back!

Not read Cloud Atlas - I won't be surprised if Sofes has though.
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:32 pm

(((PPG)))

Nah, I'm back for good, looking forward to Friday's show...
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  ewoodie on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm currently reading the last book of the Stieg Larsson Millenium Trilogy - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. Excellent reading. Do they eat &drink anything but sandwiches and coffee in Sweden?!!! Seriously though, apart from the plot you get a fascinating insight in to some of the Swedish way of life.

Last edited by ewoodie on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ewoodie

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Threads merged.
Admin
Admin

http://scdbbc.roflforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ewoodie on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:03 pm

Creature of beauty and wonderment wrote:Threads merged.

TA!!! I've not quite found my way round yet. Smile

Where's the fanfic?
ewoodie

Back to top Go down

Post  ewoodie on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:07 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Hey gang, just been away for a few days so missed all the chat. Managed to read six books, including two autobiographies (a weakness of mine) but struggled with David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas (even though it was shortlisted for a prize). Has anybody read it?

On the subject of autobiographies, anyone got any recommendations? And no I'm not interested in Katie's Price's 200th installment - Who Katie Done It Wiv Next!!!! Twisted Evil
ewoodie

Back to top Go down

Post  ewoodie on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:11 pm

[quote="sparklysheila"]

I'm a sucker for biographies and have just started "My Shit Life So Far" by Frankie Boyle bought at the airport on the way to hols

Will look out for this one. If you haven't read, it you might like Frank Skinner's.
ewoodie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 pm

ewoodie wrote:I'm currently reading the last book of the Stieg Larsson Millenium Trilogy - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. Excellent reading. Do they eat &drink anything but sandwiches and coffee in Sweden?!!! Seriously though, apart from the plot you get a fascinating insight in to some of the Swedish way of life.

Haha the same thought occurred to me when I was reading those books ewoodie!

I've just made a start on The Business by Martina Cole.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Jugg on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Loving CJ Sansom's Shardlake series right now Smile

And just read Jo Brand's autobiography ... Look Back in Hunger which was easy reading.
Toby Jugg

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm halfway through The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold- she sure does have a fascination with death that woman.
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  ewoodie on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:16 pm

Sid wrote:
ewoodie wrote:I'm currently reading the last book of the Stieg Larsson Millenium Trilogy - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. Excellent reading. Do they eat &drink anything but sandwiches and coffee in Sweden?!!! Seriously though, apart from the plot you get a fascinating insight in to some of the Swedish way of life.

Haha the same thought occurred to me when I was reading those books ewoodie!

I've just made a start on The Business by Martina Cole.

Blomqvist must live on sarnies and coffee. I'm surprised he ever sleeps!

I started reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ages ago but couldn't get on to it. Anyway, I tried again recently and started to enjoy it. So I've been reading the series. I'm on the 3rd book and was/am worried it was all going to be about spies. But I think there's going to be more to it than that.

Have you read any other Martina Cole books? I bought one at the supermarket ages ago and have now read nearly all of them. I didn't think The Business was one of her best. The books with Kate Burrows are good. Anyone know if there is a 3rd and what it's called? I loved The Runaway set in sleazy Soho. I've bought the majority at a second hand book shop.
ewoodie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:09 am

[quote="ewoodie"][quote="Sid"]
ewoodie wrote:
I started reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ages ago but couldn't get on to it. Anyway, I tried again recently and started to enjoy it. So I've been reading the series. I'm on the 3rd book and was/am worried it was all going to be about spies. But I think there's going to be more to it than that.

Have you read any other Martina Cole books? I bought one at the supermarket ages ago and have now read nearly all of them. I didn't think The Business was one of her best. The books with Kate Burrows are good. Anyone know if there is a 3rd and what it's called? I loved The Runaway set in sleazy Soho. I've bought the majority at a second hand book shop.

Everyone seemed to have the same problem with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Takes a while to get into but then you're hooked! Incidentally, I thought the third one was the best. Will be interesting if see if you agree.

I've read all of Martina Cole's stuff too! My sister got me into her books but I began to find them a bit repetitive so had a break from them until now. My favourites were Two Women, The Ladykiller and Goodnight Lady. Gritty stuff and you're guaranteed a few bonks!!!
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:48 am

Morning ewoodie (((Sid)))

On the subject of autobiographies, the two I read on holiday were Stephen Fry and Jack Dee. Both were very entertaining although Jack's was the only one that made me laugh out loud. Have also recently read Frank Skinner's which I thoroughly enjoyed and last Christmas my daughter bought me CR-H's which was also a good read. Chris Evans is worth a look too. Anybody have any recommendations for me?
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:58 am

Morning Fifty xx

Toby has just read the Jo Brand one, said it was good. I will read eventually and let you know if I agree!

Have finished the Darker Domain by Val McDermid and as Tomps said it was predictable. Some of the characterisations were also a little weak, still a good read imo though.

Have just started Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Neffenegger (Time Travellers Wife) and am instantly hooked. One to savour I think.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:02 am

Have just started Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Neffenegger (Time Travellers Wife) and am instantly hooked. One to savour I think

Oooh, that's interesting. Do you think it will be as good as TTTW Sofes? BTW, wasn't the film a pile of complete poo?
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:03 am

Hey (((Sofes)))

I read The Timer Traveller's Wife on hols and, although I finished it, haven't decided if I liked it or not! I also read Eat, Pray, Love which I liked a lot. Will look out for Jo Brand, she was mentioned a couple of times in Jack Dee's book.
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:08 am

@PPG (((Hug))), The film was mostly crap but had a few good moments, the couldn't capture the poignancy unfortunately. TTW I think was a one off, this is still looking at a 'sort of death' but more straightforwardly. Easier on the brain but well written.

@Fifty, I love Jack Dee so may give his a go. I will make a note of Eat, Pray and Love also. I also have the lastest in the Shardlake series on the shelf but am having to let Tobes at it first! Grump!
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  TompsHB on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:25 pm

Hello booklovers ...

I'm reading another Stephen Booth, two chapters in and I think it's another winner.

I was in Foyle's at St Pancras over the weekend and bought books for my daughter for xmas. I paid £12 for a paperback. What's that all about ? Admittedly it was a classic rather than a bestseller. I had no idea that we are charged according to our preference.
TompsHB

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:35 pm

TompsHB wrote:Hello booklovers ...

I'm reading another Stephen Booth, two chapters in and I think it's another winner.

I was in Foyle's at St Pancras over the weekend and bought books for my daughter for xmas. I paid £12 for a paperback. What's that all about ? Admittedly it was a classic rather than a bestseller. I had no idea that we are charged according to our preference.

I agree! It's ridiculous. I actually bought a 'new' book last week for the first time in ages. The Pilot's Wife (vvv good) by Anita Shevre and paid £7.99 - it was only a flimsy paperback!
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Pink Pinot Girl wrote:I agree! It's ridiculous. I actually bought a 'new' book last week for the first time in ages. The Pilot's Wife (vvv good) by Anita Shevre and paid £7.99 - it was only a flimsy paperback!

Woo hoo, you're enjoying it.

Been years since I've been into Foyles, what a treat Tomps.
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:49 pm

Sofajudge wrote:
Pink Pinot Girl wrote:I agree! It's ridiculous. I actually bought a 'new' book last week for the first time in ages. The Pilot's Wife (vvv good) by Anita Shevre and paid £7.99 - it was only a flimsy paperback!

Woo hoo, you're enjoying it.

Been years since I've been into Foyles, what a treat Tomps.

Enjoyed - finished it last night! I thought it was excellent Sofes. She writes beautifully doesn't she? Just been out to the Oxfam books shop and bought 'Seaglass' - have you read it? (NB - £2.50!)
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23 ... 42  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top