Dancing On Ice 2018!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Dancing On Ice 2018!

Post  TANGOLERO on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Not being deliberately argumentative, but without Torville and Dean on the ice it's a different show. Oh, I know they can't go on forever and aren't expected to, but they were unique and the whole show seems flat and lifeless to me now. Cheryl Baker could hardly stand up, which is due to her age and physical capabilities granted, but I hope the producers are well insured as she seems an accident waiting to happen. That tired old Eurovision "whip your skirt off" stuff was so pathetic. Add to that the manic behaviour of the audience while the results were being announced and...well, maybe I'll just wait patiently for Strictly to return. In short, it was awful. Sorry.... Embarassed

Twisted Evil
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Re: Dancing on Ice 2018

Post  mauveangel09 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Yes Mr T - I have to say that I agree with you in respect of Torvill and Dean - I think the show has really lost something without them performing. There are also other things that I agree with too - the whooping audience really need to shut up when the results are being announced and I really don't like that 'cattle pen' thing that they are using back-stage, last week I thought it was their attempts to make a sort of 'clauditorium' which makes sense as they have never spoken to the contestants 'back stage' before, however last night all you could hear was the baying members of the public that were around this part of the rink - this area should just be for the competitors and the pros - 100% otherwise it is a waste of time. All that said....................................

I am sticking with it - and I enjoyed the show more last night. Commentator man had definitely improved. I felt the routines and the music were a bit more varied than in week one - with more interesting contestants too (less of the Z listers!). Having seen both groups now, the men certainly seem more stronger than the women with the exception of Perri from week one.

Jingle - I actually liked Donna Air greatly and I think that although she didn't do much solo stuff she wasn't clinging on to her partner as much as the other girls and seemed to have a bit of confidence. I liked the partnership with her pro and the elegance of the routine, so I'm interested to see whether she progresses.

I really enjoyed Max the most last night - very impressive - I too disliked the squirmy romance comments. I felt Brooke was the most tentative, apart from good old Cheryl Baker who in SCD style was always going to be voted through!!! Very Happy Very Happy The weather man was also very good. I think the more experienced pros are definitely ahead of the rest on the choreography stakes.

On the judges panel - I'm liking Ashley and I think that Chris got into his stride a bit more last night - I loved the 'pep' talk that he gave the pros after the group dance of the week 1 contestants - I felt like clapping!!! He was spot on. I'm not sure that Jayne feels entirely comfortable with the judges role - you could see it was really hard for her having to choose someone in the skate off - I'm sure she would prefer to be a coach or be more active at least - not sure whether judging is really her bag but we'll see if she settles into it as the weeks go on.

I felt a bit sorry for poor Candice as she was a lot better last night. It was a strange split from the judges but I could see where they were coming from. Lemar did more solo skating and some little jumps and turns - although he didn't lift his partner like some of the others did - I too felt it was a bit unfair that Candice had a whole week just to practice her skate off routine. I'm sure Lemar has better potential but we always give 'our' judges on SCD hell for saving someone on 'potential' don't we? lol! lol!

Lastly - I really enjoyed the pro routines which were lovely both at the beginning, with the brilliant Dan Whiston 'flying' and the dance in the middle with Mark Hanratty - both really enjoyable.

I'm not sure about the rink though..............seems like something from Star Trek lol!

Jingle - note to self.........RECORD IT!!! Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Sometimes I don't mind the ads as I can nip to the loo...I do tend to record and ff the faff bits... I felt sorry for Candice but at least she had a week of knowing about the skate off! Lemar had a little while only to get used to idea... Cheryl had the huge vote from public to save her. I often wonder thou with DOI if they want to be saved given the injuries!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 pm

Yes good point Sax - sometimes they look as though they are scared stiff and wondering why they agreed to do it! Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Must admit DOI terrifies me re ice and falling on hard surface. I'd sooner fall with Alijaz on the dance floor on SCD bounce drunken drunken
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Re: Dancing on ice 2018

Post  mauveangel09 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Wink Wink Laughing Laughing

absolutely....................... Razz

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:10 am

I quite enjoyed last nights 11-couple show, but at the same time do agree with Tango. It feels like something is missing in the format and also in the judging panel. The social media/chat arena is a poor copy of the SCD Clauditorium, I just fast forward over. On top of that, some of the contestants and also some of the pros are a little grating. Altogether it hasn't been an auspicious start to the series, hoping it'll improve. A few thoughts:
Kem - ghastly plum outfits aside, I thought this was a competent routine with quite a few complex moves, though maybe a little frantic
Stephanie - no solo skating at all, although I really liked Sylvan's choreography
Anthony - awkward looking routine, and he seems to keep his legs so straight that he doesn't travel over the ice.
Max - quite a few shaky moments and a near fall. Glad the judges told Ale to be more realistic in her choreography
Perri - by far my favourite routine of the night, and Hamish's choreography was spot on once again. Surprised about the relatively low marks from Chris and Jayne - I find myself siding with Jason.
Alex - Plenty of distance over the ice as well as solo skating, but despite being disco week I noticed there wasn't a lot of actual dancing in this routine.
Donna - yet again I'm a bit bemused by the praise heaped on Donna, I thought she looked quite stiff and not disco-y,  and very little solo skating
Lemar - the two words which sprang to mind were sedate and mechanical.
Jake - ugh, a burgundy shell suit, almost as bad as Kem's outfit.  An action packed routine, although maybe a little fragmented
Cheryl - oh dear, she clings on to Dan for dear life. One small thing - I noticed the commentator said Dan is staying at her house, which rang memories of him lodging with Linda Lusardi when they skated together. I can't imagine any of the Strictly pros doing that, but seems quite a good move in terms of developing a connection.  
Brook - loved the robotic dance moves at the start of the routine

I much preferred Stephanie's performance in the skate off, but once again Chris and Jayne save Lemar for strength of skating.

Loved Holly's dress, and also Perri's sparkly bodysuit. At this point the competition seems to be between Kem, Perri, Max and Jake, though there isn't an obvious winner. Compared to other years, I do think the initial level of ability is poorer - I'm remembering the likes of Ray Quinn, Sam Attwater, Hayley Tamadon etc who were all pretty good skaters from the outset.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:30 pm

I'm rather ashamed to admit, I actually nodded off at one point in the show last night. Tugboat Annie and John Sargent ahoy where Cheryl's concerned. A few heads need shaking. Pretty obvious Chris and Jayne are watching skating and Jason watching pantomime ballet, with Ashley doing his best not to make mistakes. A male pro carrying his partner around whilst he practises judo throws is hardly dancing on ice. Every one of them has to be better then me, whose last contact with the slippy stuff ended with badly cut hands and losing the dog for a few minutes, but then again, I didn't enter. A few need to buck up, but I felt a bit sorry for the rugby lad. He's obviously up for it and has some talent, but he just lost the plot totally last night. Ah, well, on with the "We Love Cherryl" skirt whipping off adoration society. lol!
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:12 pm

I have to say I have only just watched last week's show Embarassed Embarassed Just had things on last week and couldn't find a long enough slot to dedicate to it during the week!

Quite enjoyed the show but couldn't believe how many of the routines were almost copies of what they had done on the weeks before!!! Didn't see much improvement in a lot of the celebs for this reason. I do think some of the new pros seem very inexperienced in the choreo department, as pointed out by the judges, and surely they will need some serious help with this if their partners progress to the latter part of the competition.

I am still getting the feeling that this show has been brought back 'on the cheap' in some areas, and for a 'try out' to see if it can capture the viewers again. I think that all the money has been spent on the judges and Holly and Philip - not the celebs or the training - it isn't clear how long they get on the ice and beyond the pros we don't really know who the coaches are - in the previous incarnation of the show, high profile people like Karen Barber were involved in the training, and of course Chris and Jayne dreamed up a lot of the concepts for the routines - I'm sure their absence accounts a lot for the poorer initial standard.

Just a few comments
Kem - I applaud that he wanted to do a more complex and faster routine - but to me his dancing is really not that good and he needs to get this and his posture sorted out as the judges advised.
Anthony - The complete opposite - a great dancer who just can't (or won't) skate!!! The routine was almost a duplicate of the previous one with a few disco moves thrown in. I do find him funny and it's clear he just wants to have a bit of fun. He's safe with the Corrie vote at the moment but I don't think he'll last long unless he starts taking it a bit more seriously.
Max - Really like him but the routine was just too advanced - liked the judges comments to his pro.
Weatherman Alex - Really like him and thought he was a bit undermarked - a great skater I thought with lots of solo stuff - hope he finds some refinement then he will be a real contender.
Jake - Easily the best on ability but I can't warm to him.
Brooke - One of the weakest for me - not fun to watch. Again, she has a fan base at the moment but for how long? Not feeling the chemistry between her and her partner and still admitting she is not comfortable on the ice??
Perri and Donna - There wasn't much to choose between them for me. I loved both routines - both so elegant and graceful, which I admit I wasn't expecting from Perri and she looked amazing, the routine was so in sync.

I loved Donna and Mark's routine and I'm liking her very much - probably edged it on Perri for me but I want to see some more speed over the ice and some more solo skating from her moving forward. I liked that she said she had fallen in love with skating - there is a certain confidence about her.

Cheryl - well I suppose she will be around for another couple of weeks............There was some improvement it was true.

I could see where the judges were coming from by saving Lemar - I didn't like Stephanie's first skate, I thought she was better last week - just too many big lifts from Sylvain and not much else. I found the skate off routine just boring really, which was a shame. Thought Lemar was a bit undermarked in his first routine as he did attempt a lot of different moves - I think he is lucky to have been saved again. He is obviously not getting the viewer votes and he needs to speed up on the ice, lift his partner and be a bit more challenged - the judges very obviously don't rate the c horeography skills of his partner.

I am actually really enjoying the judges - I like the interesting division in what Chris and Jayne see over the 'dance' judges. Thus far I have found them all very constructive and able to justify their high or low marks quite well. The thing I have always enjoyed about this show is seeing how some contestants take to the skating but need to work on the dancing and for others it is the complete opposite - it will be interesting who gets the right balance!

Mind you, if one of the girls doesn't get a bit of a breakthrough soon I think the contest is going to be all about the boys!!! Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:00 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

I am still getting the feeling that this show has been brought back 'on the cheap' in some areas, and for a 'try out' to see if it can capture the viewers again.    I think that all the money has been spent on the judges and Holly and Philip - not the celebs or the training -  it isn't clear how long they get on the ice and beyond the pros we don't really know who the coaches are - in the previous incarnation of the show, high profile people like Karen Barber were involved in the training, and of course Chris and Jayne dreamed up a lot of the concepts for the routines - I'm sure their absence accounts a lot for the poorer initial standard.

Absolutely spot on observation Mauve. It's like amateur night at the ice rink. Quite what Philip watsit and Wolly Willoughby have to do with, or know about, ice skating is quite beyond me. Talentless and overpaid for a two minute ride in a dodgem car....please...
As for the judges, it says much that twice in consecutive weeks the professional skaters have over-ruled the choreo chaps. Will any lessons be learned?...very much doubt it. I'm not even sure I'll see this series out. Hate to sound to be consistently moaning, but it just ain't good right now. Mind you, how can you follow Torville and Dean for a start?
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:29 pm

Oh dear Tango. I do agree it's not the show it used to be....I'm mainly watching because there's little else on the other channels tbh. Can't wait for the winter olympics to start in a few weeks, I love it!  I pricked my ears up when Philip said a UK Olympic couple will be on next weeks show, I imagine it's Penny Coomes and partner.

I did enjoy the fire dancing this evening, and think the show is improving a bit. But could definitely do without the social media section, and also the introduction of the comedy VT (Anthony and Brandee's bird outfits)

Every time I see Holly I find myself wondering if her dress would suit T.ess. Holly just seems to be able to wear anything and look good.  Anyhow, a few thoughts about tonights show

Jake - a skate of two halves I thought, the first half much better than the second when he lost all synchronicity. But he's one of the better skaters without a doubt.
Donna - very graceful and poised.....however for the third week in a row I'm scratching my head at her high score after she didn't let go of her partners grip for more than a second.
Perri - didn't like the song or the choreo - however I thought she showed some confident moves
Anthony - with music like Songbird and the lovely staging this couldn't really go wrong. His best performance yet, although his skating is still quite weak
Max - I agree with Chris's comments, not seeing the partnership in this couple.
Lemar - hmm, a paso theme to viva la vide....that's ringing a bell from Strictly. Liked their costumes
Cheryl - pedestrian, shaky, thought she was overmarked
Alex - although he's very confident I feel Alex doesn't have much musicality yet, it looks like skating by n.umbers to me
Brooke - just like last week, I loved the start of this routine and then it petered out. Totally agreed with Jason, couldn't understand why the routine almost came to a standstill halfway through
Kem - a charming dance, he seemed like a different and more mature character this week.

Very disappointed that Perri is out, she was my favourite and it's a real shame she's gone when the likes of Cheryl and Anthony are left to teeter around the rink. The only positive is I guess at least Perri won't have an ice injury - I thought it was a bit risky to do DOI while she's still a competitive athlete.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:30 pm

Well done to Cheryl for taking it on, but she's only in there on public popularity from a hundred year old Buck's Fizzers or deliberately obstructive fans and certainly not on skating talent. . Sensibly, she's in the John Sargent class with skates, and stands a chance of injury on a hard surface that isn't recommended at her age. My hat's off for her courage, but....she, and the hand-holding Christmas treee angel, Donna should be next two out followed by the Coronation St favourite. After that, it's anybody's guess. The scoring was up the wall tonight and again, the girl out was badly done to. Up to now the show's a poor substitute for what it was previously. Torville and Dean are sadly missed on the ice.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:51 pm

Ok - I've caught up this week and watched the show last night. Hope I've put in a couple of points that we can discuss .

Wow what a turn up for the books……………..Perri going out, and after she showed so much promise. I knew you would be disappointed Jingle but I couldn’t believe how bland her routine was (and a bit wobbly) and I think it just got lost amongst all the others which put her in the Skate-Off position – however I really don’t know what I think of the fact that if a couple end up in the Skate-off more than once they can do the same routine!!!!!! Can you imagine on SCD if you could keep doing the same dance in the DO, eventually you would get very good at it (one would hope!!!) So really don’t know what I think about Lemar getting saved again on the same routine – how does that work?? If they have been in the Skate Off once then surely they should prepare a new skate off routine?? Seems unfair on the other couple if they have not been in the Skate off position before – as Mr T points out. I can’t remember how it worked on the old DOI??confused confused

For me there were some surprises and some disappointments last night. Nice surprises for me were Kem and Anthony. I went from disliking Kem last week to really liking his style last night. He did what I wanted him to do and brought more refinement and dance to his routine, I really liked the fact that he did a totally different slow routine which some of the other guys haven’t done yet. Very Happy

Anthony and Brandee (just as I was despairing of them) did what I thought was a lovely routine. Anthony has obviously had movement training in his posture and lines which is why I was frustrated with him before, but he definitely showed improvement and I hope he can keep this up and not be a ‘one week wonder’.

Disappointments were firstly Donna - am now more in agreement with you Jingle - I know she got a good score but I want more from her – more solo skating and (much as I like Mark’s choreography) they need to show they can do a faster/different style, otherwise I fear she may go the way of Perri and I want at least one of the girls to do well!! At this rate, they will all get picked off in favour of the men. Sad Then Jake – yes he can really skate and it was fast and furious but the timing was awful – needs to be sorted. Brooke also yet again did not impress me – and I think it was very telling when she agreed with Chris’s comments about still not feeling comfortable on the ice. I feel they are trying to capture the ‘yoof’ vote with this couple – I wonder how long it will last because I find myself watching Matej and not Brooke. I wonder if they’ll have a ‘breaththrough’? Certainly not if they stop mid-way like they did last night. Another couple who need help with the choreo I think...................

I’m still enjoying both Max and Alex and felt they were a tad undermarked last night – particularly Alex. The judges mentioned that the routines were more like pairs skating – which I suppose is true but I think that their pros were trying to show off their solo skating skills and that they are learning different steps – as opposed to just being in hold all the time which is what the judges said they wanted last week! The refinement is bound to suffer a bit at this stage if they start doing more challenging solo moves. Max’s routine was more realistic this week although I could have done without so much faffing with the sofa!!

All the couples have got different things to work on – it will be interesting to see who gets the magic balance right between the dance and the skating as no-one is quite there yet.

Lastly – why don’t Holly and Philip shut the audience up when the results are being announced????? You can tell that the couples can hardly hear ………………grr!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:50 pm

The show's totally lost its class for me. Too much presenters behaving like kids, " Oh look, I can drive a car round an ice -rink while people cheer like maniacs"...come on, too little talent generally from the "celebrities" and I'm betting T&D wonder what they've let them selves in for. The audience screaming and hollering during the results is ridiculous. I watch; okay, it's got eh word "dancing" in there, but I'm really thinking the show might be better put to bed. Everything has its sell-by date, and its past. Sorry... Sad
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 pm

I do agree it's not the glittering show it used to be Tango, although I still find it much more watchable than shows like the Voice and All Together Now

The highlight of last nights show for me was definitely Coomes and Buckland....makes me impatient for the start of the winter olympics

Anyhow, a few thoughts on last night....

Max - charleston themed routine, a bit wobbly in parts. I notice he tends to lean forwards quite a bit
Jake - by comparison, Jake's posture is so much better than Max. I thought the music for this was rather dreary, but it was a very fluid routine and he covered a lot of ice
Donna - at last some solo skating! I agreed with Jason though, for a latin number Donna was rather reserved
Lemar - good pace, but rather samey routines for Lemar
Cheryl - improved but still the weakest skater
Anthony - I was surprised he wasn't given a bye-week with broken ribs. Again I found myself agreeing with Jason's comments, I couldn't fathom the storyline to this routine at all
Kem - a full-on hip hop performance, good speed although his timing wasn't always there
Alex - a very pacy routine, real pity about the fall. If CRH was on the panel he'd likely be passing comment about a spatulistic spare hand
Brooke - I did laugh at the VT of Matej in a tutu (reminiscent of Artem in a onesie).  A nice delicate routine, though maybe not very adventurous

Surprised to see Donna in the SO, especially as I thought she'd finally upped her game. A no-brainer that Cheryl would leave. I think Brooke, Anthony and Lemar should be next in line. As DOI is progressing the division between the men and women is widening - I can't really see any females making it through to the final tbh. Think the competition is between Jake and Kem, and my preference would be Jake.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Well I can honestly say that I did find this week's show much more watchable - I know this was partly due to the inclusion of the Olympic couple – who were just in a different league ice dance wise – breathtaking stuff - but also because I felt that the majority of couples had upped their game and there also seemed to be a greater variety of different music and dance rhythms included in the show.

Cheryl had reached her time although she seemed a lovely person who was determined to learn, and I agreed with Jason when he said that ironically it was her best skate last night – including a little bit of skating on her own in the skate off routine, but that said she just wasn’t up to where everyone else is, so best she exited on a high before the ‘better skaters are being knocked out’ syndrome started.

Like you Jingle, I was surprised to see Donna in the skate off as for the first time she actually skated on her own last night – however, I think Lemar must have got some kind of ‘bounce back ‘ vote – I can’t think why as he and his partner just seem to do the same sort of routine week in week out, but I suppose people wanted to give him a break and then there must have been huge sympathy votes for Anthony I would imagine.

I really enjoyed Donna and Mark’s music and the routine although I think recreating a latin samba feel was a little beyond her at this stage - it is difficult enough on dry land!!!! I thought they had put in some new moves but I saw where the judges were coming from about wanting more oomph and less waft!

Jake and Max both impressed me – hats off to Max and Ale for tackling the fast Charleston rhythm (to an SCD favourite track!) and Jake just looks so at home on the ice – he is a big guy and he just looks so solid particularly in the lifts and with his skating skills.

Bit undecided on both Kem and Alex this week - I know the judges loved Kem’s routine and there was some complex stuff in it so I suppose he deserved his marks, but whenever Kem does anything fast to me it looks a bit untidy and there were timing issues, like Jake had last week. Felt so sorry for Alex, he was going great guns until the fall. I loved the Frank Sinatra music and the set for this routine, I’m not so sure that Alex is improving however, but I still like him, he needs to get a bit more relaxed on the ice for me.

At the other end of scale, Brooke once more failed to impress me. I get that they did something completely different this week and the lift was brilliant but considering she is an actress I just don’t feel any expression from her and would also like to see a bit more speed.

Poor old Antony, I couldn’t believe that he was on the ice with two broken ribs! Fair play and it was a shame as I felt he was starting to take off last week and we didn’t really see what he could do this time. The routine was inevitably marked low and I too was surprised he didn't get a bye week. If he carries on without resting one wonders how he is going to progress in the contest with broken ribs, as lifting his partner and many other more advanced moves would presumably be off the table?

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Not a bad show tonight, although I felt the theme of 'love week' was rather tenuous at times. Really liked Holly's dress...grr, why can't T.ess be given dresses like that. Anyway, just a few thoughts..

Kem -Plenty of variety and speed, though I still think he's still a bit too much of a wild-child over the ice, and the lifts looked a little ungainly

Lemar - Rather dull song and routine, although I didn't think he deserved to be bottom of the leaderboard at all - in fact I would've placed him higher than Brooke, Anthony and Donna. I did wonder if TPTB had an eye on the gender balance (or lack of it) and were happier to see one of the males go.

Max - I noticed he's rather good at the side by side synchronised moves, so it's a pity Ale is trying to put more and more lifts into the choreography.  I agree with Jayne about the lifts, needs more care to the landings.

Anthony - bit of smoke and mirrors this week...lovely light/staging and a sentimental VT, but the actual content and level of skating was basic

Jake - Although he's my favourite I thought Jake was overmarked this week. The entries to both of the big lifts were very faltering.

Donna - Seems to have regressed back to being in hold for 95% of the time

Brooke - can't remember this routine at all, other than the solo dance at the start which was good

Alex - Bravo, loved this routine! Well acted, fluid, speedy, and yet he made the whole routine look simple. Personally I much prefer this type of ice dancing than big lifts.

Even with their 'Ruth and A.nton moment' at the end of the skate off, I still felt Lemar gave a much better performance than Donna's skate off (which was basically being carried around by Mark for 60 seconds).
With the double elimination next week I think both of the remaining females are the weakest, or possibly Anthony.    After next week there'll only be five left...seems very sudden to be near the final.

Has anyone else been glued to the winter Olympics? I stayed up into the small hours last night watching the short routines for the ice dancing. The Canadians Virtue and Moir were just stunning, I imagine they'll win. I can't find a youtube of it, but here's their Moulin Rouge routine from earlier this year (apparently they've since changed one of the lifts because it was too risque for the olympics).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO2xBr5EmSo

Robin Cousins was doing the commentary for the olympics...nice to hear his voice again, he's missed on DOI.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Just about as you had it Jingle. Farcial that Llamar was in the dance off, and even worst for him to lose it against the streamer. I call her that because she's carried around like a flag all the time. No skating at all and now she's appealing for votes. In a real world the three you mentioned should all go next week for me, although I doubt we'll get a Ray Quinn or Hayley Tamazin emerging. The show's boring for me and Torville and Dean are wasted on the panel. A spot for them each week would make it worth watching. Losing faith fast....
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 pm

jingle wrote:

Kem -Plenty of variety and speed, though I still think he's still a bit too much of a wild-child over the ice, and the lifts looked a little ungainly

Lemar - Rather dull song and routine, although I didn't think he deserved to be bottom of the leaderboard at all - in fact I would've placed him higher than Brooke, Anthony and Donna. I did wonder if TPTB had an eye on the gender balance (or lack of it) and were happier to see one of the males go.

Max - I noticed he's rather good at the side by side synchronised moves, so it's a pity Ale is trying to put more and more lifts into the choreography.  I agree with Jayne about the lifts, needs more care to the landings.

Anthony - bit of smoke and mirrors this week...lovely light/staging and a sentimental VT, but the actual content and level of skating was basic

Jake - Although he's my favourite I thought Jake was overmarked this week. The entries to both of the big lifts were very faltering.

Donna - Seems to have regressed back to being in hold for 95% of the time

Brooke - can't remember this routine at all, other than the solo dance at the start which was good

Alex - Bravo, loved this routine! Well acted, fluid, speedy, and yet he made the whole routine look simple. Personally I much prefer this type of ice dancing than big lifts.

Robin Cousins was doing the commentary for the olympics...nice to hear his voice again, he's missed on DOI.

Hi Jingle

I think you more or less summed up everything that I thought about the individual couples last night- also agree about Robin Cousins.

Except for Alex - who was excellent last night - at last!! I didn't really feel anyone really improved on last week. I agree about Kem - I just can't get behind his routines 100%, he always seems a bit ragged around the edges.

Jake too was over marked last night I agree - there were some brilliant bits in the routine but I felt that it wasn't as good as what he has produced before and a couple of the lifts just looked ugly!

I think you are right about Max and Ale too Jingle - very good at the side to side stuff and they seem to do very much what I would see as figure skating routines rather than cracking the feel of ice dance, but I still really rate him and thought that he looked a lot more confident this week.

I despaired of Donna - who as you say seems to have regressed. Again, she had such a sassy piece of music which was crying out for a bit of oomph but she and Mark did the same sort of routine as last week. However, I'm not sure whether I would have saved Lemar over Donna. For me he had to go I'm afraid, even with Donna's shortcomings. Unfortunately he just seemed to do the same routine week in week out - and I think you are right about the producers wanting to balance the male/female ratio as all the girls will be gone soon!!!

Although Brooke's routine was again very forgettable, I did think she looked a bit more confident on the ice at last, but I could have done without the faffing about with the wind machine at the beginning where once again her partner showcased only himself.

I think things will get interesting with the double elimination next week and one of either Anthony or Brooke will surely go, so I wonder how the Corrie vote will be split??

Not seen much of the Olympics so far - hope to catch some more of the figure skating and ice dance but it is hard to figure out the specific times when the events are on. I felt really sorry for the snowboarders who had to compete in the wind on Sunday - it looked very dangerous. affraid

Hope to catch some more of the action as it all progresses........................ Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:20 am

Loving the Olympics☺️ I'm already practising with my brush for curling minus a bucket thou! I have to say I've given up on DOI as so so different and T&D look like captured guests on the Judges panel. Lemar 3 weeks of a skate off couple a relief week then hear his shoved out now! Something is seriously missing from DOI NOT sure what thou... so I just ff to end and see who's gone.....
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 pm

I love your comment about 'captured guests' Sax! I think that Chris has got a bit more into his stride with it as the weeks have gone on - he doesn't mind being a bit controversial either (has been booed already! Usually Jason's province!) but agree with you about Jayne - she doesn't look too comfortable and I think she is more of a 'do-er' than a natural wit/talker - which you seem to need as a judge on any show these days if you know what I mean. I think she was happier in a more practical coaching role. I will stick with the show with all its many shortcomings as it is more than half way through now and there is nothing else on at 6pm on a Sunday night that is worth watching to me.............. (thankfully it is all over before 'Call the Midwife' - my other Sunday night indulgence!!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 pm

Well two really good things about the show tonight -  first the judges challenge -  (I was wondering if they were going to rebrand the 'technical challenge' that I so enjoyed from the old series - and have always thought that SCD should adopt in some shape or form)    I think it really brought focus to the show tonight and gave them all something to work for.    Secondly - Torvill and Dean to perform on the Finals Show............YAY!   AT LAST!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

With regard to the show - it was a no-brainer for me that Anthony and Donna would exit. I did agree with Jason however that Anthony's skate off routine was quite good and I do feel that he made some nice elegant lines - I think that after the injury we were never going to see the best from him, which is a shame.     Donna also had great elegance and was so graceful to me, but the dancing wasn't really there.  Tonight they fell back on a slow routine, and whilst it did have some new moves in it and they got respectable marks,  I thought her solo step sequence was laboured.  I  have felt throughout the series that she was capable of more, as she clearly enjoys skating.

To see Max and Ale in the Skate off was a real shock to me - next to Jake, for me he did the best routine of the night and I thought that they would be safe?   I really felt that the skating and the dancing came together tonight for them and I thoroughly enjoyed the routine.  I enjoyed it better than Alex's routine   (who I have also been supporting)  and it doesn't bode well if Max and Ale are not getting the viewer vote - I will be very disappointed if they are approaching the trap door..

The second shock of the night for me was Brooke and Matej - talk about 1000% improvement - I agreed with everything that the judges said in terms of this being the first time that she has actually acted and expressed herself - also the skating and the steps (despite some timing issues in the solo step sequence) were so much more challenging than she has done previously.   There was a new confidence about her.   Without wishing to take anything away from a great performance - I did think it was funny about how drastically she has improved over one week?   Have the producers seen the writing on the wall about being without a woman in the latter stages of the show   (Donna was always going to go this week) and put more coaching and teaching into Brooke and Matej?  (Sorry don't mean to sound churlish - it is just an observation)  I am very pleased for her and glad she has turned a corner.

Jake as always was sublime - great skating, dancing and moves, I also liked their costumes.   I didn't catch a bit of the commentary but I thought he said he had to learn some of it without Vanessa - in which case he doubly deserves the high marks.   Kem again, I'm never sure whether I like him or not although the judges clearly rate him and he always gets high marks.   I just feel that everything he does still needs refinement and I still prefer Max over him, but I do feel he has good chemistry with  his partner.

I didn't enjoy a lot of the music tonight - I found it nondescript - particularly Alex and Brianne's music -  they were a bit of a let down for me.  I enjoyed the lift - but having thought they had turned a corner last week, they seemed to do a lot of side-to-side figure skating moves this week and I wasn't sure whether they covered the whole rink in the aborted step sequence.

So we're down to five couples now?   Assuming it is a 3 couple final it must be the quarters next week..........it is going fast.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:57 pm

Clever work by the organisers/judges: Throw a good skater in with the two worst in a skate off with only one to be saved? Anyway, maybe just the way it panned, but a perfect result because the better skaters all went through. Great show by the young girl who seemed to grow in both skill and confidence. Don't really care who wins, but T & D skating in the final, yes sir, that's the way to do it..... Very Happy
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:32 pm

Yes definitely Mr T !!!

Bit disappointed that the British pair in the Ice Dance didn't get further up the rankings in the Olympics? I didn't see all of the performance in the free dance but what I saw looked good and apparently they were happy with it but then the marks weren't as high as expected?????? Did anyone see the whole thing? Jingle are you out there........................... confused

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Yesterday at 12:31 am

mauveangel09 wrote:Yes definitely Mr T !!!

Bit disappointed that the British pair in the Ice Dance didn't get further up the rankings in the Olympics?   I didn't see all of the performance in the free dance but what I saw looked good and apparently they were happy with it but then the marks weren't as high as expected??????   Did anyone see the whole thing?    Jingle are you out there........................... confused

Yes, I'm here Mauve... just about! My sleep cycle is a disaster at the moment, as I'm dozing in the evenings to watch the olympics live in the wee small hours. The figure skating and ice dancing has mostly taken place around 3 in the morning  Sleep  but has been well worth it.  Yes, I watched Coomes and Buckland - they were good, but realistically I think they were placed about right. Apparently our Mr Dean had an input into their choreography. He also choreographed the routine for the germans who won gold in the pairs figure skating (I'm sure I recognised some of his moves in the routine too).  

My favourites have been the winners of the ice dancing last night, the canadian pair Virtue and Moir (who were also part of the gold winning team event). Though I felt very sorry for the french couple who came second by a whisker, the girl had a major wardrobe malfunction and I think they would've won if it wasn't for that.  

I caught up with DOI yesterday. Pleased that the weakest couples were eliminated, and also delighted to hear T&D will be performing.  Good to see that Brooke has now 'joined the competition' so to speak. I've always thought she's one of the better dancers, and that routine in particular suited her perfectly. Although I did notice that Matej had been quite clever about the synchronised moves - whenever they did synch moves he was positioned slightly behind her, and I could see him adjusting his speed to make sure they looked in time. Whereas Max seems to be really good at the side by side parts (I can't help wondering what he'd be like on Strictly).  I think Alex still looks quite self conscious doing the actual dance moves, whereas Kem is much more of a natural dancer but still prone to looking slapdash. Jake seems to be out in front now, though I wish he hadn't done that headbanger thing, I loathe it!

i thought it was a bit strange that the voting opened at the start of the show, though I guess the producers were probably able to predict the likely leavers based on previous voting.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum