SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week?

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SCD Which music and dance choices this week

Post  mauveangel09 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Oh no...........not another 'thon' !!! affraid

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Re: SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week?

Post  Sid on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Why do I sense it's gonna be a like a mad stampede of cattle Very Happy
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:47 pm

B4p wrote:I've put this up before, but I think it's still a good example of a lift-less, armography-less, smooth flowing, Cuban style Salsa.
https://youtu.be/O6kN-usZzew

the second clip is some street salsa, formation style. Next years Strictly Salsathon!
https://youtu.be/b4jaXaC1P04

Either way, not a lift in sight! Just happy faces. I live in hope Rolling Eyes

I hear we've got a group Paso Doblethon at the end of November. They'll need to extra arch their backs for that one - they'll be an excess of bull on the dance floor

From my own experience of going to Salsa Clubs and from watching clips like these, the whole style of salsa is very different than on strictly. NOt only is there no extreme armography, little or no lifts, but the foot is placed much flatter on the floor - the woman generally seem to do it in flatter shoes, rahter than the heels that alllows the pushing into the floor for the cha cha cha or the samba. The strictly one is much more hustle or disco oriented. I;ve never been a fan of it... But I loved Salsa dancing when I was doing it in the clubs :-)
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:30 pm

I'm finding myself a little irked by some of the lifts this series - they may have the visuals, but seems to have strayed off territory. Giovanni whirling Debbie around whilst gripping her thigh reminded me more of Dancing on Ice than a salsa.

Though, just to contradict myself, I do like quirky lifts in the charleston, and graceful lifts in the american smooth.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm

jingle wrote:I'm finding myself a little irked by some of the lifts this series - they may have the visuals, but seems to have strayed off territory.   Giovanni whirling Debbie around whilst gripping her thigh reminded me more of Dancing on Ice than a salsa.  

Though, just to contradict myself, I do like quirky lifts in the charleston, and graceful lifts in the american smooth.
I think that's where I'm coming from jingle. If they save them just for a couple of dances they can add that bit of special sparkle. For me, they also have to fit the mood of the dance e,g something swirly, half-mast, and graceful, for the A Smooth rather than a bum lift, or overhead pressage. In the Charleston anything goes that adds to the comedy, or showmanship. In the A Tango, if you check Karen & Ramps, I think they only did one waist lift that looked classy and maybe a couple of small hops. I think Karen and Vincent were 2 pros that actually used particular movements to accent a piece of the music. I don't notice that so much with the 'burn the floor' pros. I don't think the 'do or die' style fairground lifts, (that seem to have invaded almost every dance now), do anything to enhance the particular dance being shown.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 pm

I totally agree with the annoying "ready-stead-go" Dirty Dancing type ariel acrobatics being grounded.. Do they really have anthing whatsoever to do with dance? So, you take a lady out on a date and ask her to dance, she's expecting a gentle canter around to show off her glittering new pit clogs, then suddenly, you grab her by the gusset and start imitating Lash Larou with her. What if her false teeth fly out, or worse, she's actually left her bloomers drying over a radiator after washing em and hasnt..? What if.....oh, never mind. The point is, unless the lift has some purpose other than showing off and can be done to fit a timing sequence, what's the point of it?

Oh, nearly forgot..and all this doing a backwards gallop whilst wearing the toes out of your partner's dance shoes as you coal-bag her acrossthe boards. What's all that about...(said in the Best Peter Kay accent) ..Fred never did that...
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:15 pm

MOLLIE & AJ have been totally stitched up- Charleston to Little Mix?!?! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Week 9 Music & Dance Choices

Post  B4p on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Week 9 Music & Dance Choices

Blackpool (just in case someone on Neptune hasn't heard)

Alex and Gorka - Quickstep to The Gold Diggers’ Song (We’re In The Money) from ‘42nd Street’
https://youtu.be/UJOjTNuuEVw

Gemma and Aljaz - American Smooth to Downtown by Petula Clark
https://youtu.be/Zx06XNfDvk0

Joe and Katya - Salsa to Ride On Time by Black Box
https://youtu.be/M0quXl_od3g

Debbie and Giovanni - Samba to Spice Girls Medley (Wannabe / Who Do You Think You Are)
https://youtu.be/rpsL0jBJZsc

Mollie and AJ - Charleston to Wings by Little Mix
https://youtu.be/cOQDsmEqVt8

Susan and Kevin - Paso Doble to Scott & Fran’s Paso Doble from ‘Strictly Ballroom’
https://youtu.be/lgQFv_SfAmk

Davood and Nadiya - Paso Doble to Live And Let Die by Paul McCartney and Wings
https://youtu.be/swVoXHVW-jI

Jonnie and Oti - Tango to Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics
https://youtu.be/qeMFqkcPYcg
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:37 pm

I've not watched Strictly Ballroom but had to smile at the youtube clips. I swear Donald Trump was a judge in it. Laughing
Funny how we've been talking about Vincent. For me 'Sweet Dreams' will always remind me of Vincent & Louisa's Tango.
I don't mind 'Live & Let Die" and think that's been used a few times before. Blackpools a good backdrop for some special effects.
I like Petula Clarke and the Gold Diggers Song for those ballrooms.

I can't hear a Salsa to 'Black Box' but I trust Katya can come up with something suitable.

The two I'm really struggling with, are Mollie's Charleston, but most of all Budgie's Samba music the 'Spice Girls' Medley. Is it just me?
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Spice Girls affraid been used before re Spice up Your life...not sure why they needed a medley of Spice Girls No one song is enough!
Black box not keen but there again I'm not keen on Down Town either!
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:04 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Spice Girls affraid been used before re Spice up Your life...not sure why they needed a medley of Spice Girls No one song is enough!
Black box not keen but there again I'm not keen on Down Town either!

Yes Sax, they have used Spice up your Life - but not to a Samba. Which is odd. as of all the dances it is most suited to it is the Samba as it has a kind of bounce to it. I can;t rightly remember who had it and what dance it was, but I have a feeling it was a Salsa...

Ride on Time as... anything?!

I kind of get the Little Mix tune - the clapping is very Charleston beat but... (That was the sound of me clutching at straws....) As well, that's Mollie and AJ in the dance off again...

The rest of the tunes are surprisingly ok...
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:33 pm

My feeling was correct!  It wasthe Salsa and it was Judge and Oksana (whatever happened to her? Also, Anya - anyone remember her?)

Still say it is more Samba than Salsa and that Budgie should have got this.  If she HAS to dance a Samba to the Spice Girls... (My feeling is that there is no rule in life that says you must...)
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 pm

I'm surprised they re-cycled the Spice Girls tune so quickly. That was only last year wasn't it? Who's bright idea was that I wonder? Sabotage, or will it be to a different musical arrangement?
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:00 pm

B4p wrote:I'm surprised they re-cycled the Spice Girls tune so quickly. That was only last year wasn't it? Who's bright idea was that I wonder? Sabotage, or will it be to a different musical arrangement?

Well, they're recycling the Spice Girls, but not that tune...(ie, Spice up Your Life)  Budgie has a medley of.... um.... two other Spice Girls tunes  -which I have already forgotten - and declare not really Samba-friendly (unlike Spice Up Your Life which kind of is....)
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Re SCD Which Music and Dance Choices this week

Post  mauveangel09 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Well I'm glad we've got a clutch of 'big' dances this week, which go well at Blackpool - Samba, American Smooth, Quickstep - not keen so much on seeing Salsa and Tango there. A Viennese Waltz would have been nice........but there you go.

The music seems quite good - Alex and Gorka have lucked out again with 42nd Street - should make a brilliant QS
Love Love Love Downtown!
Love Love Love Ride on Time!- should make a stonking salsa - but hope they don't make it too much of a lift-fest (they probably will - but it's probably needed in this setting - ps - 'Groove is in the Heart' was on the same youtube link - have they done this in SCD? I can't remember but it would make a great Samba)
I don't think I'm really going to be sure about the Spice Girls thing until I hear the arrangement on the night. Wannabe is quite bouncy I suppose....... confused
Strictly Ballroom Paso - I hope it's not too much about Kevin and whilst not appearing to be rude I hope Susan can do it justice otherwise it is a waste of good paso music Wink
I do think however it will trounce 'Live and Let Die' which is old hat for SCD - although I'm sure Davood and Nadiya will be suitably dramatic.

Like most of you - I'm struggling with Little Mix (of all the tracks they could have picked?) and whilst I like the Eurythmics track I'm not sure it has the punch for Jonnie to make much of an impact...............we'll see........... Very Happy

Looking forward to 'Waites Warm-Up' tomorrow for an indication of how they are doing. Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 pm

B4p wrote:Funny how we've been talking about Vincent. For me 'Sweet Dreams' will always remind me of Vincent & Louisa's Tango.

It'll come as no surprise that I instantly associate Sweet Dreams with Louisa & V.incent too! Funnily enough, was rewatching that dance for the first time in ages just the other night. Loved the Argentine touch.

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Yes Sax, they have used Spice up your Life - but not to a Samba.  Which is odd. as of all the dances it is most suited to it is the Samba as it has a kind of bounce to it.  I can;t rightly remember who had it and what dance it was, but I have a feeling it was a Salsa...

They have indeed used Spice Up Your Life for a Samba....Mark Foster and one-series-only-pro Hayley did it in 2009 but it's easily (and best) forgotten.

I'm putting it out there: Ride On Time and the Spice Girls Medley have made me hit new levels of excited Very Happy

Also, diamonds, I remember Anya with fondness. She didn't last long but I appreciated her more subtle style. I know she was a shadow choreographer for a couple of series (B.rendan acknowledged her one time) but I wish she'd stayed on as one of the pros. Clearly didn't fit the "everything must be loud and brash and cbeebies-inspired" vibe they've been going for in recent years.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:02 am

Best music on show ( for me) is the Strictly Ballroom Paso doble. I do wish Mollie or Gemma had got that. Matter of fact the choreography from the film would go down very well. Susan..? Somehow I think she may struggle with the dance.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:46 am

On the whole it's great music with some real bangers in there- Kev's Paso and the QS for starters, also Downtown....but I'm so cross on Mollie and AJs behalf - it sucks and although it makes a difference to all dances as we have discussed many times, for me it especially makes a difference in the tangos, paso and Charleston!!! It matters production team!! You have basically opened the trapdoor for them...
I really hope they disprove my doubts and do an absolutely stonking Charleston and stick two fingers up to Ms evil Moira Ross in a Rainbow wig Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:52 am

Well said Allsewn!

Grrr I was really hoping that Mollie would get the quickstep for Blackpool. Can only hope she defies the odds/evil Moira and smashes the charleston.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:14 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:Well I'm glad we've got a clutch of 'big' dances this week, which go well at Blackpool - Samba, American Smooth, Quickstep - not keen so much on seeing Salsa and Tango there.  A Viennese Waltz would have been nice........but there you go.

The music seems quite good - Alex and Gorka have lucked out again with 42nd Street - should make a brilliant QS
Love Love Love Downtown!  
Love Love Love Ride on Time!-  should make a stonking salsa - but hope they don't make it too much of a lift-fest  (they probably will - but it's probably needed in this setting - ps - 'Groove is in the Heart' was on the same youtube link - have they done this in SCD? I can't remember but it would make a great Samba)
I don't think I'm really going to be sure about the Spice Girls thing until I hear the arrangement on the night. Wannabe is quite bouncy I suppose....... confused
Strictly Ballroom Paso -  I hope it's not too much about Kevin and whilst not appearing to be rude I hope Susan can do it justice otherwise it is a waste of good paso music  Wink
I do think however it will trounce 'Live and Let Die' which is old hat for SCD - although I'm sure Davood and Nadiya will be suitably dramatic.

Like most of you - I'm struggling with Little Mix  (of all the tracks they could have picked?) and whilst I like the Eurythmics track I'm not sure it has the  punch for Jonnie to make much of an impact...............we'll see........... Very Happy

Looking forward to 'Waites Warm-Up' tomorrow for an indication of how they are doing.  Very Happy

That song is in my all time favourites list! I had never thought of the Samba to it before. But now you mention it, i will now be adding a samba bounce to my normal routine around the kitchen...

Great call Mauve I love you
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:17 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:On the whole it's great music with some real bangers in there- Kev's Paso and the QS for starters, also Downtown....but I'm so cross on Mollie and AJs behalf - it sucks and although it makes a difference to all dances as we have discussed many times, for me it especially makes a difference in the tangos, paso and Charleston!!! It matters production team!! You have basically opened the trapdoor for them...
I really hope they disprove my doubts and do an absolutely stonking Charleston and stick two fingers up to Ms evil Moira Ross in a Rainbow wig Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

As they have been planning all along - mwahhahhhah! affraid (I love a good conspiracy theory. Even where none exists....)

BTW - is Ms evil Moira Ross in a Rainbow wig actually this forum speak for Our Shirl?
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:58 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

As they have been planning all along - mwahhahhhah!  affraid  (I love a good conspiracy theory.  Even where none exists....)

BTW - is Ms evil Moira Ross in a Rainbow wig actually this forum speak for Our Shirl?
It's another Monkseal D&P for the exec producers Louise rainbow and Moira Ross Laughing Laughing Laughing
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:35 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:
It's another Monkseal D&P for the exec producers Louise rainbow and Moira Ross Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh Lord, despite watching Strictly religiously for the last 12 years, I have zero idea of who the exec producers are.....

Still, now I know!
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:44 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Best music on show ( for me) is the Strictly Ballroom Paso doble. I do wish Mollie or Gemma had got that. Matter of fact the choreography from the film would go down very well. Susan..? Somehow I think she may struggle with the dance.
I think it will be the usual Kevin Blackpool Paso spot. Don't think Susan will have much of a role in it. She might as well go and get the half time refreshments from the 'Chippeh on the pier'.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:34 pm

B4p wrote:
I think it will be the usual Kevin Blackpool Paso spot. Don't think Susan will have much of a role in it. She might as well go and get the half time refreshments from the 'Chippeh on the pier'.

Let's hope he doesn't opt for those three-quarter length pyjamas, black socks and street shoes he had last time. lol!
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top