Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  CaledonianCraig on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 pm

Well I was away over the weekend and recorded the show on my box and caught up with it now.

The ringers (as I expected) were blatantly clear - Aston and Alexandra. Not worth getting excited about when they came in polished. Joe was another who I suspected beforehand could be a ringer as has experience in stage musicals.

Pleasant surprises of the night were definitely Debbie Magee (wow what a great Paso), Chizzy (for a big woman she moved very well) and Davood who looks like a potential challenger along with Mollie King.

The comedy act for this year is Rev Richard Coles so is therefore guaranteed to reach at least halfway whilst struggling are Ruth Langsford, Brian Conley and Simon Rimmer.

Potential to blossom are Gemma, Charlotte and Jonnie.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

ReL Strictly 17 A little Bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi CC
I was wondering where you were?
I agree with those that you say have the potential to blossom.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:45 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Not sure where to post this but did anybody see A.nton on Loose Women?  He was talking about his babies and he very nearly had me in tears.

I saw it Fifty - the way An.ton described being a dad gave me all the feels. Cutest thing ever.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:18 pm

I really think the show's producers must take the viewers to be a tad dense - either that or they are. No doubting that Alexandra and Aston are ringers - they come into this show with previous dance training and experience. Heck Aston has even been a judge on another dance show. Those are NOT the kind of celebs that will get me on my feet applauding as they are frauds. Do the producers not realise that viewers recognise this as well? Or is it that the show's producers do not do their homework before approaching the celebs. The whole premise of thje show as I understood it was that these were celebrities from different walks of life flung in at the deep end with no previous dance experience in a bid to see who learnt the best. Sadly, this ethic now seems forgotten.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

RE: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:30 pm

I know what you mean CC - I think that A ston and Janette will do a superb pro style salsa tomorrow night - but I don't want to see really high scores on the second week - it makes it a bit pointless, although there is the angle that this put the 'ringer' under a lot of pressure over the weeks as other contestants either catch-up or catch the public's eye - I don't think it is all plain sailing for them - I also think there has been a little bit of a viewer shift against the 'ringers' in the last couple of years. I think it was realized last year that people can come in with no experience and do well - like Ed Balls last year, and remember - whilst they get to the final it is a rarely an out and out 'ringer' who lifts the glitterball.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:49 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:I know what you mean CC -  I think that A ston and Janette will do a superb pro style salsa tomorrow night - but I don't want to see really high scores on the second week - it makes it a bit pointless, although there is the angle that this put the 'ringer' under a lot of pressure over the weeks as other contestants either catch-up or catch the public's eye - I don't think it is all plain sailing for them - I also think there has been a little bit of a viewer shift against the 'ringers' in the last couple of years.   I think it was  realized last year that people can come in with no experience and do well - like Ed Balls last year, and remember - whilst they get to the final it is a rarely an out and out 'ringer' who lifts the glitterball.

Yes I get that but watching them glide through dances in week one just leaves me cold. Those are two spots I'd sooner see go to genuine novice celeb dancers even if they are wooden and talentless in the art of dance.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Having read this morning that Aston dropped Jannette on her head in training, I hope that neither Jannette or the couple's confidence will suffer because of it. Ringer or no, that's not a nice thing to happen.
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Sid wrote:diamonds - I think for me Jive is a daunting first dance for a similar reason Paso is: the sheer performance demands. All that bouncing around like a mad thing would make me feel like a right prat on Week 1 when everything's so new. So I give props to Joe for Jiving with such abandon and verve and not looking self-conscious or at all silly doing it!

Sid, that is a very interesting perspective on how different things scare different people.  

Performance doesn't scare me - despite definitely looking an out an out prat and despite having no performance background whatsoever - not even am dram when I was 10.... I will literally dance in public anywhere at any time if the music takes me.  I prefer dancing stone cold sober at a party too - the dancing is the high.  

No. What scares the bejesus out of me is the scary technique. Actual footwork.  Bouncing around like a mad thing is what comes naturally - reigning it in and ensuring I have the right foot leading, or the right part of the foot on the ground at any given time seems almost imnpossible to master.  All that thinking!! Dancing for me is intuitive, but ballroom just can't be if you are to achieve the technical criteria demanded.  So jive seems straightforward and intuitive, whereas Waltz is all about control and technical footwork (I am aware that the jive is not without footwork technicalities but it pales into insignificance in comparison to the the Waltz)

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:35 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Having read this morning that Aston dropped Jannette on her head in training, I hope that neither Jannette or the couple's confidence will suffer because of it. Ringer or no, that's not a nice thing to happen.

OUCH!!!! affraid

Mind you, it might calm her down....
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:54 pm

You are right Diamonds - it is interesting how we all have different perceptions and 'scare' levels about the various dances. Ballroom jive SCD style would probably be my least favourite dance to do on SCD - give me the Charleston any day.  I know the Jive looks freestyle but there is actually a great deal of control needed in it as well as the bounce. With the waltz - its 1-2-3 and off you go.............

It would be interesting to know what other dances we would like or loathe doing??? Very Happy  Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Re Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:58 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Having read this morning that Aston dropped Jannette on her head in training, I hope that neither Jannette or the couple's confidence will suffer because of it. Ringer or no, that's not a nice thing to happen.

Not good...................... Crying or Very sad Perhaps time for them to 'dial back' a bit - it is only week 2 and I'm sure they are going to go a long way in the contest.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Sid wrote:How on earth did we survive in the days before iPlayer and YouTube could come to our rescue Very Happy
Hope you had a nice holiday B4 and enjoy the catch up.
Thanks Sid, I did. I spent a week in a remote Buddhist Retreat Centre practising Tai Chi, and a few extra days hill walking. All very Zen like and chilled out. Unfortunately, I still haven't found out how to keep the 'calm' going, as some idiot or other, just comes along and then irritates the hell out of me!

I enjoyed the Friday panel tonight, and thought Jodie & Miriam in particular worked well together. Looking at the training vt's I was a bit worried by Brian's clip. He looked like a walking heart arrythmia, no natural rhythm, flat footed, and about to expire. I just hope he's managed to pull something together by tomorrow night.

The general starting standard seems high this year.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

Not good...................... Crying or Very sad   Perhaps time for them to 'dial back' a bit - it is only week 2 and I'm sure they are going to go a long way in the contest.
I doubt Janette will dial anything back. She's a risk taker, and loves all the lifts and drops. Remember the week 2 Salsa with Jake?
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:01 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing  I may have made 'contra-checking up... I thought I heard Our Shirl mention it and thought it was something to do wiht changing direction.  But I really know nothing!
Years ago, L en used to often mention 'contra-checks', 'oversways' feather steps and 'cuban breaks' (remember Aleisha and Mathew doing cuban breaks in their Beyonce 'Crazy in Love' dance. Over the last few seasons even L en stopped mentioning a lot of the technicalities. I'm not sure if that was his choice, or part of the show being side tracked onto the flash-bang-wallop, thrills & spills, entertainment bandwagon.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:04 pm

B4p wrote:
Thanks Sid, I did. I spent a week in a remote Buddhist Retreat Centre practising Tai Chi, and a few extra days hill walking. All very Zen like and chilled out. Unfortunately, I still haven't found out how to keep the 'calm' going, as some idiot or other, just comes along and then irritates the hell out of me!

Some of the Strictly fans on Facebook could benefit from a trip there Very Happy

diamondsandpearls wrote:
Sid, that is a very interesting perspective on how different things scare different people.  

It is indeed interesting diamonds! I mean I'd be HOPELESS at technique. For starters, I'm one of those people that literally can't tell right from left (I swear it's a condition) but I'd find all the technicalities early on something to focus on during the dance to distract me from feeling self-conscious about the performance side of things. When it comes to dancing I've always been more of a watcher than a do-er anyway!
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Here's how I think tonight's show went:-

Chizzy - Too much faffing around at the start but not terrible once underway but didn't resemble foxtrot. 6

Aston - All far too polished for my liking for week 2 and I think what's the point of the rest of the series. 9

Susan - Got the character spot on but her kicks weren't sharp nor were her swivels. Fun dance though. 6.6

Charlotte - She looked unsure again. The spin never worked and seems very nervous and unable to let herself go. A shame as it may be over for her before she can really prove herself. 5

Joe - Again too much faffing around at the start. Patchy as started poorly but improved. 5.5

Brian - Not too bad. Caught flavour of the dance but was stompy at times. 6

Gemma - Very nice. Great dance and she looked much more relaxed and confident than last week. 8

Richard - Too much camp comedy and not enough American Smooth dance. Fun to watch and comedic value will save him. 5

Ruth - An improvement on last week but needed more energy and swivel. 6

Simon - Spin went awry at the end. Decent effort though and good posture. Improvement on last week. 5.5

Mollie - Good all-round performance. Still rough around the edges but looks like she will be a contender. 7

Jonnie - Very good kicks and flicks but backside stuck out at times. Good overall though. 7.5

Debbie - Elegant. Another excellent dance with lovely turns and danced with great style. 8

Davood - Good once it got started. Sharp and precise. Another who has room for improvement and looks like being a contender. 7

Alexandra - Attack and good character. Sharp performance but another ringer so find it hard to get excited. Sorry. 9

In danger this week should be Charlotte, Brian, Ruth, Simon and Chizzy.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:40 pm

Nor too far away at all in evaluation from you C.C. As ever, I may say something to upset someone somewhere, so apoplogies in advance. Twisted Evil
The very good bits were:

Gemma and Alijaz's waltz. Clever from Alizaj to go for simple style,elegance and polish over flash. They did it well and also had the best of the music in the Tchaikovsky Romeo and Julkiet theme. Really enjoyed it. I also think Alijaz is without a doubt the best male dancer.It deserved a slightly better set of marks.

Aston and Janette's wonderful togetherness and timing. Can't blame Jannette for getting a good, if experienced  partner and her choreography was fast daring and intricate. They too got decent music.

I thought Brian's cha-cha was entertaining and he applied himself pretty well. No Fred Astaire, but enjoyable.

Jonni is amazing, all things considered and he danced really well.

Debbie was exceptional. Felt sorry for Simon who did little wrong except lose his page in the manual. He may still figure.

Alexandra and Gorka. Here I go: This was brilliant Burn the Floor stuff, fast exciting and exceptionally well danced. It wasn't a Paso Doble, repeat, it was not a Paso Doble. The essence of Paso is Matador domination and making the bull do his wishes by taking the steam out of it. The woman is the cape, not the bull. The very words mean "Double Pass",( or " two step"  in the dance) ie, the bull passing him as he taunts it. Arrogance is the trait he exhibits, not a Usain Bolt to music interpretation. The dance, as such, was very very good as dance, not Paso which it was supposed to be. . The music? Well???

The rest, as I said, is pretty much in line with your view. Wink

p.s.. Re the Cha Cha which is rarely recognisable as such. I reckon any decent ballroom dance teacher could teach the contestants a basic cha-cha that would be better than what's on view in the show.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Not sure why, but tonight’s show felt longer than last week….I’m exhausted!  Some very brief thoughts…

Chizzy – foxtrot. As CC says,  too much faffing around at the start. She’s a strong performer, but I think looks uncomfortable in hold.

Aston – salsa.  Kudos to the singer, even though it was sung at a faster pace than the original. Loved the colourful outfits, especially Janettes. Routine looked like an even more complex version of her salsa with Jake a few years ago.   T.ess said it looked like a showdance, which is what I was thinking too.

Susan – Charleston. Good synchronisation but did lack swivel.  I couldn't help thinking that wardrobe weren’t kind to the larger women this week – Chizzy’s purple dress was plain and unflattering, and Susan’s outfit looked like a cut-off dressing gown.

Charlotte – cha cha.  As CRH said, a bit of a dance disaster, had to feel for her.

Joe – tango.  Rather naff use of the wardrobe prop. I thought the choreography was maybe over-ambitious and the pace made him look skippy. But he’s got a lot of potential, maybe a dark horse.

Brian – cha cha. I loved the visuals of Amy’s fringed dress during the spins. Brian looks like he’s really been practicing hard – not the worst of the night by any measure

Gemma – waltz. I really enjoyed this routine (apart from my pet hate, the floor spin. personal taste but I just think it’s an ugly move, particularly in floaty ballroom dances)

Richard – AS. Very reminiscent of a previous Russell Grant routine – I felt it was a bit ramshackle.  

Ruth – Charleston.  Plenty of swivel, think Housewives choice was wise to stick to a fairly straightforward routine

Simon – waltz. Lovely  gentle dance, except for that floor spin again.

Mollie – tango. Started off a bit like an Argentine tango, and I noticed the illegal lift. But I was surprised by her improvement, and she got all my votes.

Jonnie – jive. Full of energy, enjoyable

Debbie – VW. I can’t fault the routine –  just not keen on this couple

Davood – quickstep.  I agreed with B.runo, it looked too rough – haven’t  enjoyed  Naydia’s choreography in either weeks.

Alexandra – paso.  Beautiful dress and she’s very obviously a fantastic dancer, but maybe too good too soon.  If I had any criticism, the routine at times looked more like a series of dramatic poses than a dance.  Edit - I'm reassured to read your verdict about this paso Tango, I wonder why the judges overlooked this.

Overall I have to agree with CC. At the moment I just can’t get enthused about dancers who are near-perfect in weeks 1 and 2. For me that includes Davood and Debbie as well as Alexandra and Aston. I’d really like to see a mid-fielder  give them a run for their money. At the moment my favourites are Mollie and Jonnie.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Jingle. Re the Paso, I'm not in any way against moving on in contemporary dance but the Tango and Paso are traditional in their essence. (You might say the same about all ballroom dance, even Latin when competition is involved.) They have history as their themes that should be observed and not played about with, a bit like a non smoking, tee-total James Bond. I also agree about those utterly daft rip your knickers floor spins that do nothing but detract from otherwise elegant steps and moves. There, that's better. Wink
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Oops! Teething trobles with posting on phone...

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : somehow managed to post half my comment twice. tried to delete it but couldn't. this is the result. ...)
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:01 am

I went a bit mad after last week's epic and posted several long waffly sagas. So this week I am simply going to offer apologies for those and just take up a few points made above....

Floor spins. Should be banned. Just time fillers - add nothing to the dance at all. And are now cliched and yawnsome. Indicates lazy choreography.

Yet Another Slinky Blonde's choreography is dreadful. She's all about the raunch... Someone explain to her that a QS is not a raunchy dance as she seems not to have got the memo. And she had a lovely swirly quickstep skirt on and then decided to get her cha cha cha skirt out... Eh?

Alex and Aston are peaking to earlly - as the wonderful Heidi Stephens on the Guardian Live Blog pointed out, has nobody explained that they need to be a bit more rubbish for the first four weeks so that they are seen to have made a bit of a j word? The GBP don't like folks who shine from the get go.

Poor Joe suffered from what Simon had to put up with last week, ie a duff tune for a difficult dance. I missed the intro and it took me a while to work out it was actually a tango. The music didn't convey the mood of the tango at all. I am beyond exasperated with the musuc choosers.

Gemma's waltz was lovely. Agree with Tango that Aljaz is best male pro. He'll be my partner when I on Strictly. .. ;-)

That's about it, except to say scared for charlotte and simon...
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Re Strictly 17 a little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:26 am

Hi all

As we feared, I think tonight suffered from some poor music choices - and lets face it, sometimes the pros have to do their best with what they are given, but also I have to say there was some poor choreography and faffing in there too tonight and (sorry Vicky Gill) for me some dodgy costumes - only really liked Charlottes and Alexandras dresses out of the celeb girls and what on earth had they dressed Susan in? As someone else has said, looked like a dressing gown that was too short - a longer length with a split skirt would have been so much more flattering. As a group, they all looked like the Beverley Hillbillies when they all came out at the beginning.

One thing I am glad about is that the judges seem to be commenting more about technicality this year and looking for the spirit of the dances about which I'm glad. Also glad that the inappropriate lifts in two of the dances were roundly pointed out but not sure why it was left to CRH to do this when it surely should have been Shirl's bag?? Rolling Eyes

The routines I liked the most were Debbie, Jonnie, Gemma and actually Ruth!
Feel that the Rev, Charlotte Sad Susan and Simon might be in trouble.

Chizzy - 5 - good performance but agreed with the judges, it lacked technicality and foxtrot content.

Aston - 8 - As expected great salsa and some excellent lifts and drops which they pulled off - agree with others who have said about peaking too early etc............Janette has a bit of history doing this.

Susan - 4 - Got better as she went along - 10 out of 10 for effort and all the Charleston steps were there but totally flat footed unfortunately and not as good as I was expecting.

Charlotte - 3 - shame - cheesy track didn't help and those SCD lampposts were out early!!! B rendan had her tightly in hold and it all must have been difficult for her as what they did was so good last week - definitely a ballroom girl, hope they stay in to see what she can do.

Joe - 4 - not his fault that he got such a crap track for Tango and the wardrobe bit!!! Come on Katya, not your usual style??? not a great routine and skippy - disappointed.

Brian - 3 - Tried hard with a disco duck routine - needed something more basic but he did look like he was enjoying himself.

Gemma - - 7 - really liked it. Not without issues but felt it was graceful, had rise and fall and it flowed. Two solid performances from Gemma I think.

Rev Richard - 2 - difficult track for an AS - no wonder the character of the dance wasn't there. It also wouldn't be a bad idea if she taught him some ballroom basics!!

Ruth - 5 - Of the two cha chas this was far and away the best for me. I am surprised that the judges didn't comment on the fact that she had swivel!!! There was some good Charleston basics in it - a bit more bounce would have lifted it more.

Simon - 4 - strange routine I thought. He really tried but you could see that he was thinking of every step - however he is a beginner.

Molly - 6 - decent Tango although still didn't really capture the Tango mood. As the judges said, good frame and she was better than last week.

Jonnie - 8 - awful costumes but the best music and a good routine which suited him. His timing was really good.

Debbie - 8 = despite the silly tie bow round her neck it was an excellent routine which she made look effortless. Seeing something different from Gio this year.

Davood - 7 - didn't like the routine - library?? connection to the Strokes track?? If they had done more in hold it could have been pretty good - as someone else has said, another pointless floor sweep?? Shame - he is good.

Alexandra - 8 - stonking dance to bring the show to a close - but as you have all said, not really a paso as such - seemed too fast (and that music!!!!!)

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:18 am

Hi all – I hope you enjoyed tonight’s show. I haven’t read anyone else’s comments so apologies in advance if I tread on any toes.

Chizzy and Pasha
What was that? What a load of tosh. Too many props, too much mucking about at the beginning and not much elegance in the dance. Sadly too many people enjoy her to get her out as quickly as I’d like!

Aston and Janette
How many times did I think that boy was going to drop Janette!!!! On the other hand it was fabulous, with great choreography which he is obviously capable of doing.  I know some will shriek “ringer”. On the other hand some people have 2 left feet and there are others like Aston to whom dance comes completely naturally. You can see it in the way he moves and you can’t teach that.

Susan and Kevin
Oh dear! Not quite two left feet but getting there. Lots of fun of course and I do like her.  The scores were a bit over the top.

Charlotte and Brendan
Great legs!! What? The dance? Well she was a little stiff. Did she forget a bit in the middle? I think so. Really he should never have given her that spin if she was unhappy about it. I reckon the worry about it totally hampered her performance.  Brendan’s fault in my opinion because I think she has the ability to do much better. She was a bit shaky last week and Brendan did nothing this week to boost her confidence. I hope she gets better next week. It wasn’t a great performance but I thought the judges were much too harsh.

Joe and Katya
What the hell was that about at the beginning with the wardrobe? It wasn’t a very pretty dance I didn’t think. Was it a bit fast? A bit too clumpy and bumping and bashing each other. Ghastly music for a Tango. Joe can do better I reckon.

Brian and Amy
Good at the beginning – lost it when he came off the platform but managed to pick it up again. What a pro! Not the greatest dancing but better than last week.   Judges’ scores fairly reasonable except for the fabu-u-lus darling one. A four perhaps but a three was too low.

Gemma and Aljaz
Utterly fabulous from the gorgeousness of her dress to the smoothness of the dance and the fact that there was no messing about at the beginning  – straight into the dance.  Judges what are you talking about? Sixes and Sevens? Rubbish!

Rev Richard and Dianne
With Dianne’s hat it looked more like the Australian smooth. How old was he when he last managed to straighten a leg? It was a long time ago obviously. It was nothing at all like an American Smooth. At least he didn’t drop her. Still too much “Dad-dancing”. He’s a nice bloke so I suppose he’ll stay in for a while. I’ve no problems with that this early in the series.

Ruth and Housewives choice
Yea, not too bad. Not her natural dance but a big improvement on last week.  She’s a pretty stiff and Housewives choice was bounding about a bit too much in comparison. If he was intending to distract us from her, he did just the opposite for me.

Simon and Karen
Messed up the end poor boy. Not a natural dancer by any means, I don’t think. He’s a bit too stiff.
What was Shirley getting so emotional about at the end? Anyone know? (Mrs Twirlie who is from up that way says that Shirley is from Wallasey on the Wirral and that getting emotional about that song is a Pavlovian reaction for Liverpudlians. I don’t know if that’s true or not. Maybe Everton fans would disagree!) What on EARTH was up with the judges? Even with his mediocre performance – with that mistake there is NO WAY he deserved those points. Utterly unfair!

Mollie and AJ
I know I’m a G.O.M. but what hellish music! Mollie was not at all bad. Certainly much better than last week. Her legs weren’t straight as often as they might be but the attack and commitment did seem to be excellent. What it is with the fabu-u-lus darling one? Four?

Jonnie and Oti
Oh – with the blade!  Very very exciting. Kicks and flicks looked great. However the whole thing was not always smooth and I kept waiting for him to kick Oti or stand on her toes with that thing!!! He was good but I thought the judges over marked him.

Debbie and Giovanni
Mesmerising! She is so beautiful to watch. Terrifically poised, centred and loads of line. She totally deserved her marks. How far can she go? At the moment I would be pleased to see her in the final.

Davood and Nadiya
I enjoyed their quickstep a lot, except when they stopped completely to change their clothing. Great dancing though. I really enjoyed it. Though he’s never danced before, he has a natural ability which makes him a great dancer. Does his ability to dance make him a ringer as well?

Alexandra and Gorka
Blissfully wonderful. I don’t care what anyone else says, great dancing is always worth watching and tonight she was great. So strong and beautiful shapes. Mrs Twirlie came in late from work and said “Which one is the professional?” Nothing to do with being a ringer. Much more – like Aston and Navood – about being a naturally great dancer.

The judges were much harsher this week than last. Not a bad thing I suppose. It gives them somewhere to go when the contestants all start to get very much better. Other likes and dislikes? Loved that several of the couples just went straight into their dances without any props or paraphernalia; hated much of the music as very unsuitable.

As you can tell I don’t really agree with ringers comments. I know many people enjoy watching celebrities who can’t dance getting a bit better each week, but I’m afraid I just enjoy watching beautiful/exciting dancing above all. A celebrity has to bring something very special to win me over from that standpoint. Chris Hollins did, and he was by no means the best dancer that year, but he and O.la brought something very special to the dance floor that year which made me like him despite his shortcomings. I believe that there are people who can dance like Aston, Navood, Debbie and Alexandra, and people who can’t and never will, like Chizzy, Reverend Richard, Ruth, Susan and Brian. Dance ability is mostly a youth thing. You can pick up dance moves much quicker when you're young. Your mind is just processed that way when you're young. Debbie and Chizzy are very much the exception in my opinion.  Debbie's ability has a lot to do with how fit she has kept herself over the years. Of the ones in the middle, Gemma might improve a fair bit, I’m not sure about Mollie. I’m trying to be objective about her dancing but I find her a bit vacuous which makes me a bit biased. Joe too has the ability to improve a lot.  I don’t think that Jonnie will go the whole way but I think he’ll go quite far.

I've no idea who's going to go tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to next week already though.
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:01 am

Whatever floats your boat Twirlie.

I was always under the impression Strictly was about celebrities plucked from non-dance backgrounds and experience to see them blossom. That is what I watch for. Aston is definitely not that. He has already been on Strictly, is noted for his dancing on his pop videos and has even judged on a dance show on Sky. He is not a blank canvas as they all should be but a sort of sketched masterpieve waiting for the paint to be added. Likewise with Alexandra who has done the rounds on West End stage musicals and those were produced by C.raig R.evel H.orwood. I wonder how many tips he has passed on?

It just goes totally against what I want from the show. They are brilliant dancers already and were last week. Nobody picks such a complex art form up so quickly unless they have previous.

Anyway I know each of us here have pet hates about Strictly. For a lot of us it is poor musical choices, for others it is the use of props, for somevit is the VT fillers and for me it is definitely ringers.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:03 am

Caught up with the show late as was out yesterday...too many to comment individually so I'll lump them together
The wows- well obviously Aston and Alexandra, the two I rewound to watch again. And lovely Debbie who is so graceful with her ballet background all those years ago. I'm really enjoying her, but am slightly nervous that she has flattered to deceive with dances that suit her and wonder how she'll do with the faster latins. But I hope I'm proved wrong.

The improvers- I thought Gemma did a fab job, shout out to Alijaz for simple elegant choreography and thought Jonnie did a good job too as did Ruth

The oh-dears- Brian, Simon, Charlotte, Rev - not too bothered which one of them goes if indeed it's any of them in the DO

Everyone else- meh, forgotten them already

CC I know you have strong views on "ringahs" and whilst I generally prefer to see someone improve week by week( I have high hopes for Gemma for example) I am happy to enjoy great performances wherever they come from. My indignation has softened over the years and I just enjoy the show for what it is rather than what I might want it to be. Unless I really engage with the celebs at all levels I don't vote for them. By that I mean I reserve the right to vote for a rubbish one or a fab one because I personally like them, and conversely don't vote for people if they get on my wick. The Rev for example I just can't take to (even though I loved the Communards backin the day) and even if he made massive improvement this week I still wouldn't vote for him. Call me fickle but there it is.
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top