Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Page 3 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Twirlie wrote:

Fair 'nough mauveangel. You're right - they need some new script writers for the set pieces. And soon. The trouble is, the girls work quite well. Tess is all you need for a straight man/(woman) really. They just need better material.

You are right Twirlie - it's a good partnership. I can't wait for the series to start................ cheers

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  jingle on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:53 am

Warm welcome to you Tappingfeet, this is a brilliant forum and I hope you stick around.

Anyone getting excited yet? Very Happy   I really can't wait!! bounce

Off topic, but I noticed Mauveangel's comment about going to the Hungarian GP this year.  I'm so jealous!  I've only ever been to Silverstone - loved it (especially as Lewis won)
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcome.Well I finally caught most of the launch show on youtube. And yes my predication was right , Ruth is going to bug the hell out of me !
Oh I like Claudia ! Always have and I actually laugh at the gags ! So looking forward to a nice long show tonight and a good gossip after it too cheers
Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Just a few comments on Show One:

All the normal glitz and vast profits for the fake tan, sequins and confetti industries, plus massive electric bills that a new series always kicks off with. Pro opener was okay without being sensational and a slight feeling of just picking up where the last show left off? On the dancers themselves I thought they all did very well and C raig's usual crackpot marks looks all set to show the door to anyone he doesn't like..if he can. They don't just have to just learn a few dance steps for the show, but learn and perform for ninety seconds with style and rythmn and withouit making mistakes; no easy task for regular dance class attendees, never mind those who have never danced before (despite talk about ringers, how may of them have ever done ballroom and latin?)

I thought they all did very well indeed, although some of the waltzes had a distinct rumba choreography and to get a paso, foxtrot, Vienese or tango, even a jive in week one is pinning the donkey's tail on its head more than a little. You all saw the dances so no further individual comment from me except there are more obvious losers than winners in C raigs rifle sights right now. Well done all and good luck for Week Two. Oh, and the music choosers should get the sack. Utterly clueless and again smaking of square pegs in round holes just for personal gratification. I thought Brian was doing a Tango, and Debbie's Paso music was dire.

Over to you.... Wink
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Welcome Tappingfeet and hi to all old friends*waves*
Another season begins, hooray! I enjoyed tonight's show more than I expected to, given my annoyance that many have already said about stupid dances in week one which should be left till later. Some surprises and the usual donkeys, but hey it's week one. Debbie McGee Shocked in some ways she reminds me of Anita Dobson another mature .ady who was really rather good. As usual I didn't know all of the contestants and I like finding out more about them as we go on. Btw did I miss something, no plug for ITT - did they run out of time, it's definitely on right? I will write to my MP if not!

I would also like to add my vote to the Claude fan club- I've always liked her from ITT days -she is definitely best with off the cuff stuff, but whilst some of the scripted stuff is naff, I actually just love her deadpan delivery. She's a lot smarter than she plays.

For once I was actually pleased to receive the usual " further to your application for tickets" email yesterday as I'm going myself and daughter are having a girlie trip to the smoke and see Mamma Mia next Saturday. Has anyone else applied this year? It's about time another one of us is successful- given how long we have kept this lovely forum going I think we should all have honorary tickets to the final!

Look forward to chatting to you all in the coming weeks Smile
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi Allse! Very Happy

I really enjoyed the show Very Happy Very Happy Lots of potential there . Although it was a long show I think I preferred seeing them all together in one go on the first night............. I think perhaps that there just wasn't enough time for the ITT plug and I got the distinct impression that the judges were given the 'hurry up' a couple of times, but I think it made for a pacey show with a lot less 'faffing about' than usual Wink Wink mind you, I did feel a bit sorry for Gemma Atkinson, being right at the very beginning I think she got a bit 'lost' as indeed some of the others did - and I think she was really rather good. Hope she gets a better position in the running order next week, but I suppose someone has to go out on the floor first!

I thought that everyone had a good stab at what they were asked to do - with very mixed music choices. The four people who made the most impression on me personally (and in no particular order) were:

Charlotte - a bit of a surprise. Loved the routine (thank you B rendan) ballroom girl in the making?
Chizzy - Loved the routine - had a 'Saturday night Fever' feel and a great natural dancer. I didn't look at
P asha once.
Joe- Great routine and great energy - Katya deserves a good un this year! Good partnership I think
Debbie- Wow!!!! How old is this woman?? great stuff - don't usually like non-traditional pasos but I
actually enjoyed this arrangement.

Aston was predictably good and it was a brilliant routine to a great track but I felt that in true Jeanette style it had little to do with a Foxtrot (as C raig pointed out), however a good pairing and he is strangely likeable.

'fraid Davood and Alexandra left me cold - good as they were. Won't use the 'R' word!! I think Davood and blondie (can't remember her name) packed some punches and make a powerful partnership - less so with Gorka and Alex - there was far too much gapping in their waltz.

To me - both Richard and Jonnie are dark horses - interesting and not sure about either.

The group that struggled seemed to be Brian, Simon, Ruth and Susan - although I hope they find themselves next week.

The only word I can use to sum up Molly and AJ is 'strange'. I felt she did a reasonable job with the routine although it was ragged and didn't look right in parts and I wonder whether AJ is that good a teacher/choreographer? The guy has just got no charisma and I felt that they didn't really look right together, as aluded to by the judges..............we'll see - it's early days................... Shocked

Thought that most of the marking was fair and not too over the top - enjoyed Shirley's comments on technique - not sure what to make of her though. Felt there was a bit of a weird dynamic between the judges with C raig seeming almost left out? Not sure if anyone else picked up this? I suppose they need to work on a new dynamic between them.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:48 am

Hi All
I think I had a numb bum after last night marathon but thawed now so I can sit again and chat ! I did find it a tad long but agree its better to see them all on one night .,Mind you by the end I had completely forgotten that Gemma had danced.
Debbie actually wowed me I was not expecting that !!But Davood and Nadiya looked stunning while standing but less so when moving. Alexandra has always annoyed me and her dancing was wild and OTT like herself I thought.But did feel her emotion and was sad for her as I read her mum had died not long ago.

Brian is one of those comedians who has to be comic all the time and it bugged me and he seemed all one colour! His face , hair and suit all blended into a sort of beigy look

Ruth I just blanked out as I did her equally annoying husband and will do for the rest of her stay ! Housewives choice is also being blanked so I can enjoy the show !
I liked Shirley and did not miss Grumpy The Love God that is Leonard The Lion Goodman at all , I thought she was great and quite at home .But did I see Silver tongued Italian Stallion accidently rub her boobs and rattle her? At one stage she looked a bit stunned and Darcey took her hand and reassured her? I might have to thrawl through the long 7 hours of the show to find it ( was it really only 2 hours and a bit?)
Forerunners ? Aston , maybe Jonnie and Joe? But rest assured I never spot the winner in the first shows so dont go by me!

But I loved it really , the glitter and glam and noise and familiarity and warm fuzzy feeling of enjoyment and fun and will be watching it again to see what I missed in case I dozed off or anything!
Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Yes, think I'll be doing a re-watch like Tappingfeet.  I agree with Mauve's thoughts on the strugglers and frontrunners.  I think there's a couple who may be quick improvers, like Mollie and Jonnie, and personally I'm more interested in seeing their progress than watching the top three.

Way too many couples to comment, so here's just a couple of random thoughts.

Like Mauve, I felt the judging panel had a bit of a strange dynamic.  Also, there seemed to be an awful lot of technical jargon being used, particularly by Shirley. 'Five step contra-checks, syncopated cuban breaks'...  I don't know how useful that is to the learners, but I felt a bit bamboozled at times.

So, I don't know who Brian Conley is and he wasn't a great dancer. However, there was a flash of comedy ad-libbing between him and Claudia, and I'd like to keep him in for a while just to see if that develops.

Up until the last 10 seconds I really liked Brendans choreography for the foxtrot, it was dainty and light - until he trampled over a bench and hoisted Charlotte onto the judges table.

Bit disappointed with the choreography from a couple of the pros who seemed to be showcasing themselves. Oti and AJ in particular seemed to be grabbing the limelight from Jonnie and Mollie (though to be fair, it could've been deliberate distraction)

My unexpected favourite dance of the night was Richard's cha cha.  So camp, so OTT, but I thought it was clever choreography and just good Strictly fun. Though I hope he doesn't get boxed into 'the comedy slot' for this year.

I feel a wee bit sad for A.nton. Ruth was pretty hopeless, and I think they said they've got charleston next week....I fear an early bath for them. Can't help wondering if A.nton's days are almost over in Strictly, and there doesn't seem to be a place for him (unless one of the presenters/judges leaves).

Overall I thought it was a great opening show.  There's quite a few in the middling group with the potential to get so much better - I'm hoping the eventual winner comes from that group.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:34 pm

jingle wrote:
Up until the last 10 seconds I really liked Brendans choreography for the foxtrot, it was dainty and light - until he trampled over a bench and hoisted Charlotte onto the judges table. Bit disappointed with the choreography from a couple of the pros who seemed to be showcasing themselves. Oti and AJ in particular seemed to be grabbing the limelight from Jonnie and Mollie (though to be fair, it could've been deliberate distraction)

I made the same sort of comments at home Jingle. Surely the pros can't hope to fool the judges with distraction though? . Showboating might get the clapping seals squealing in delight, but some of the pros seem to be more concerned with overdoing choreography at this very early stage than just getting their charges safely through on merit. Hoisting Charlotte on the judges table was more than a little like the Dirty Dancing "lift" all very 1-2-3 ready go, but little or nothing to do with actual dance.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Christ, I've been in shorter relationships than last night's show! But the week one buzz carried me through and I only really started flagging when we got to around Mollie.

The surprises for me were:

Charlotte (felt like that was Brenda responding directly to my suggestion he call it a day!). A classy routine performed well (but like you guys, I could have done without her being plonked on the desk at the end). Brenda's very good at shaping up 'his girls' for Ballroom but I sense Charlotte might be more iffy in the Latin.

Joe - wasn't he good? And Katya showing she's capable of good choreo whatever her partner's ability. It's always interesting to see which pros manage to do that (K.aren, for example, I think gets the choreo right with comedy partners but isn't as impressive when she has a more able celeb).

As for some of the others:

Debbie - I knew she'd slay! Alls (hiya!), I think she's got way more confidence and core strength that Anita (that'll be the ballet background coming into use). I just need to get over my 'issues' with Giovanni.

Mollie and Aston could be the good-but-slightly-dull ones.

And The Vicar Of Strictly is my new favourite sitcom Very Happy

As for Shirley - anyone who throws the word "ricochet" into their very first comment can do no wrong. I thought she was kind but critical when needed and I was fine with her throwing technical terms into her feedback because even though viewers might not know them it's sort of reassuring hearing a judge know what they're talking about. It's like watching figure skating - I couldn't tell a triple Lutz from a triple Loop but I sort of expect the commentators to be pointing them out and how well they were executed. Darcey's airy fairy waffle, on the other hand, I can take or leave and I loved that bit where Shirls corrected her!
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:50 pm

I’m not in the mood to go into detail yet. Too many contestants and so far I’m not really in love with any of them!

Who did well, who did badly, who was a surprise and who was a disappointment?

Gemma Atkinson, Alexandra Burke and Aston Merrygold were all obviously excellent, with Joe McFadden not too far behind.

Susan Calman, Richard Coles and Chizzy Akudolu were all pretty awful but I suppose they’re expected to stay in because they’re entertaining. Richard Coles maybe. Chizzy is just embarrassing. I had to leave the room when she was on.

I thought from the training footage that Simon Rimmer would be better than he turned out to be, and Mollie King just seemed to be standing around while AJ danced around her. Surely she’s not that bad.

I didn’t think Debbie McGee would be bad but in fact turned out to be surprisingly very good. 58 isn’t old by any stretch of the imagination, but she’s wonderfully supple. One to watch perhaps.

He’s not going to win any prizes but I thought Brian Conley was better than I expected as well. He may have been brought in to be some more of the entertainment factor, but I reckon he has a competitive streak in him and won’t give up too easily.

For me the others were much of a muchness and will need to dance a bit more for me to have an idea of their abilities.

I thought the judge’s marks were a bit random. I have no objection to them starting out low in the first week. It gives them somewhere to go to as the celebrities get better, but I didn’t think that the marks for each couple compared well with some of the others. I didn’t think that Gemma and Aljaz deserved a lower score than Mollie and AJ for instance, and there’s NO WAY that Chizzy and Pasha should have been as high up as middle of the table!

I reserve judgement on Shirley Ballas. She sounds terribly like Arlene Phillips I think. Weird! She’s a bit too touchy-feely with the other judges as well. Using them to demonstrate on for an explanation to the celebs is somewhat of a power play I suspect. Neither Darcy nor B.runo looked very impressed.

Oh and of course, Oti is still gorgeous! Very Happy  Embarassed  Very Happy

Roll on next week!
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Tappingfeet wrote:
... did I see Silver tongued Italian Stallion accidently rub her boobs and rattle her? At one stage she looked a bit stunned and Darcey took her hand and reassured her?

I saw that too. And I wish that Rev Richard would notice that when he dangles his arm around
Dianne’s shoulder, his hand dangles in front of her and looks as if he’s about to grab her as well. I think she spotted it in a monitor while they were chatting to Claudia after the dance. She very firmly reached up and took hold of his hand half way through the interview.

jingle wrote:
Up until the last 10 seconds I really liked Brendans choreography for the foxtrot, it was dainty and light - until he trampled over a bench and hoisted Charlotte onto the judges table.

Brendan does like to reference his musicals. The trampling over the bench is straight out of Singing In The Rain, right at the end of “Good Morning” with Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor and Debbie Reynolds. Only they do it better!
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Twirlie wrote:
Brendan does like to reference his musicals. The trampling over the bench is straight out of Singing In The Rain, right at the end of “Good Morning” with Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor and Debbie Reynolds. Only they do it better!

With a beginner dancer in heels that could have gone so very wrong.... bounce
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

RE: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 pm

jingle wrote:Yes, think I'll be doing a re-watch like Tappingfeet.  I agree with Mauve's thoughts on the strugglers and frontrunners.  I think there's a couple who may be quick improvers, like Mollie and Jonnie, and personally I'm more interested in seeing their progress than watching the top three.

Way too many couples to comment, so here's just a couple of random thoughts.

Like Mauve, I felt the judging panel had a bit of a strange dynamic.  Also, there seemed to be an awful lot of technical jargon being used, particularly by Shirley. 'Five step contra-checks, syncopated cuban breaks'...  I don't know how useful that is to the learners, but I felt a bit bamboozled at times.

Bit disappointed with the choreography from a couple of the pros who seemed to be showcasing themselves. Oti and AJ in particular seemed to be grabbing the limelight from Jonnie and Mollie (though to be fair, it could've been deliberate distraction)

I feel a wee bit sad for A.nton. Ruth was pretty hopeless, and I think they said they've got charleston next week....I fear an early bath for them. Can't help wondering if A.nton's days are almost over in Strictly, and there doesn't seem to be a place for him (unless one of the presenters/judges leaves).

I don't mind technical talk - I think there has been a distinct lack of it on SCD in recent years, however too much jargon is always a difficult thing - used in whatever context. I think Shirley will need to balance it a little and slow down a bit.

I so agree with your comments about the celebrities who tend to showcase themselves. Always the mark of inexperience in my book - AJ has got a serious amount of learning to do in this department I think, as has Oti. Sometimes Giovanni is a bit guilty of it too - but I must admit I didn't look at him at much during the paso with Debbie.

I too feel sorry for A nton - I thought he was on really good form last night with the one liners but couldn't believe it when I found out that they were doing the Charleston next week - however, A ntons legion of fans and the Good Morning Britain viewers might just keep them out of the DO for a week or two.................... I always think that fan bases are so important as the couples claw their way through the first weeks............. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:46 pm

Sid wrote:Christ, I've been in shorter relationships than last night's show!
I couldn't tell a triple Lutz from a triple Loop but I sort of expect the commentators to be pointing them out and how well they were executed. Darcey's airy fairy waffle, on the other hand, I can take or leave and I loved that bit where Shirls corrected her!

Your opening comment S id - LOL lol!

I also loved the bit where Shirley corrected D arcey !! Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm catching up on i-player.  But I had to stop for a half-time break....  It's so LONGGGGG!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining about so much fabulousness but too much all one sitting can make one feel a bit icky and it'll all end in tears before bedtime, in much the same way a whole packet of Haribos all at once affects an average 7 year old (or 37 year old come to that....).

Didn't they used to break it in half and do it over two shows?  A Sat and a Sun, or maybe two consecutive Sats....?  I can't really remember and maybe I'm making it up, but I don;t remember having to sit for so long in the first show before.  And if I AM making it up, perhaps that can be a thought for next series... Yes Mr/s Producer, I'm looking very hard at you (edit after reading other's comments - Just me then?! Laughing You all seem to prefer the bingeing!)

Anyway....  I'm doing this 'blind', as in I haven't read any of your comments yet in case of spoilers for the second half. But I need to get a few things off my chest before I burst and/or they fly out of my brain never to be recovered for posterity.  (Or this forum...)

So, standout bits and revalations so far :-)

You gotta love Chizzy (Edited after reading comments- Apparently you don't - Twirlie!)  And Susan.  Chizzy is so sassy on AND off the dance floor and she has some moves. Fitness may be an issue, but I loved her performance.  And I wasn't expecting that VW from Susan.  There was humour in the routine for sure which played ot her comic strengths, but it wasn;t a stupid A nton routine which is all about the laughs and not at all about dance content.  That was a definite V W and Susan is clearly going for it - she's not there purely for the laughs.  I like them both very much and I hope to see both of them around for a while - and improving too.

Debbie McGee - not totally unexpected.  You can she has steel running through her and she was always going to give it her all.  Also, ballet training...  It's seems to tell, even when one is past the age of, ahem, thirty, say.... However, I didn't expect her flexibility and her acting the dance ability.  Thought it was a bit overmnarked, but still flipping good at this stage.

Jonny was pretty much as I expected, ie an athlete with huge dsicipline and work ethic, but finding moving your body for dance totally different to moving your body for athletics.  But he will only improve and Oti will ensure that she gets the most out of him I think.  My early tip for the glittery globe ....

THe Scottish Guy (Mr Holby City).  Also overmarked in my opinion.  It was good for week one I accept.  But he didn't lift his feet v high off the ground and seemed to lack the driving into the ground that a great jive has.  He is compact (estate agent speak for not the tallest soldier beside your boiled egg) which is meant to be beneficial to delivering a jive (though Aljaz manages it...).  But what do I know?  Which brings me to an important (only to me - but that matters ;-) ) point:  Is the jive as hard as the judges keep declaring? I mean, a cha cha cha looks horrendously tricky to me, a waltz so technical that I can;t understand how you can actually feel or listen to the music as you would always be concentrating so hard on whether you should be leading wiht the heel or the toe or fleckling or contra-checking.... (I've confused and bewildered myself now), whereas with the jive it is a pretty straightforward kick and flick.  Yes, I can see that might be hard to master initially, but once you've got it, well, you've got it. I can do a pretty good impression of a jive (NOTE- I said impression but I could never impersonate an Argentine Tango or a Quick Step (apart from that bit where they trot off like ponies in a Kentucky Derby. I'm not bad at impersonating that - I do a good pony impression).  Pedrhaps Tango and other properly knowledgable people can set me straight? Anyway, a HUGE digression...

Simon.  Oh poor, poor Simon.  It was as I predicted and worse.  Let us quietly draw a veil over that and move quickly on...

Brian.  Aaaaaaaaarrrrgh. And I don't like Amy's hair.  As we know, hair and makeup (for both men and women) is incredibly important to my enjoyment of the show. And Amy has just failed.  Joanne did it her first season.  The wrong hair colour for her skin tones.  It matters peeops, it really does.  I took to Jo so much more last year when she went blonde.  It didn't jar on my nerves like her previous hair colour. Anyway, Amy, wardrobe, whoever - take note.....

Finally.  Yellow dress.  I keep seeing it in Clauds balcony.  I think it is Janette. Anyway, it's beyond fabulous.  I want it.  Can't wait to see it in action :-)  

And on that note, I am going to press 'play' and watch the second half.  Catch you all later (and I'll read yout comments too!) Mwah!

Edited for a quick PS :  Shirley!  I am SO liking her style of judging.: )  Positive, enthusiastic, useful pointers and critiques.... Like her dress, hair and make-up too.  Pretty good going for week one....

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm back...

The second half was much shorter.  Seems I can't divide by two and had watched all but three or four turns.

So, there I was, PS-ing above how pleasantly impressed I was with Shirl, when she goes and gives Richard Cole (lord love him and everything, but he was the worst dancer of the eveinng and should have been 3s and maybe an odd 4 for being lovely) WAY too high a score, which is an insult to those who whs gave a similar score but who did so much more for it.  She also overmarked Molly.  ON both occasions it was because she 'enjoyed the performance.'.. Looking back I was livid on behalf of Alex who she gave less to and who had so much more musicality and technique - particularly than Richard...!! Mad  I enjoyed Alex's performance WAY more... ( Edited after reading comments - ah - interesting that Alex wasn;t enjoyed as much by others here.... ANd that Richard was enjoyed more by others than me! Think we're agreed on Molly though. :-) )

I forgot Charlotte in the first half...  What a gorgeous routine by Brendan. And Charlotte's hair and make-up was also gorgeous.  I wonder why it wasn;t memorable for me? (Rhetorical question...)

Onto Davood and the Slinky Russian.  OMG - he's married?  And his wife was there?  I get that he is an actor, bla bla bla, but he needs to keep the sizzling strictly on the dance floor during the actual performance and out of the rehearsal room etc. The pros show how they can look wiht utter naked lust at their partner on the dance floor and then once the music stops they switch back immediately into a different kind of relationship.  And then again, some don't....( Yup, it seems Morality Maud is my other name .... but whilst whatever people get up in their relationships is their business, this is very much in the public eye).

Aston.  Well, he had to compete against Janette's superlative yellow dress (the back!  Did you see the back?  It was just as delicious as the front. And the way the skirt flowed... I think it was an offcut from Jo's singing in the rain number.  I don;t care - that fabric works it's butt off.  Utterly gorgeous.  I want, I want, I want!).  But even with THAT dress I found myself watching him (I had to make myself look at Molly or Davood rather than their pro dancer for example) - he certainly does have something that makes you watch him.  I don't think he is quite as good as some of them are thinking (yet) and I was wtih C raig regarding the routine (did nothing for me), but I do htink he has lot's of potential. But Janette's choreography is going to need watching - Our Shirl was way too encouraging on a nasty, bitty, routine.

And finally... (Phew! I can hear you all saying.  Her posts are longer than the show and nearly as long as a bike ride to John o Groats from Cornwall...) And finally...

Darcey!  She's got back to nice hair (I think only one hair cut and colour really suit her and she's gone back to it).  Nice make up.  Nice-ish dress (not sure about the colour)... She looked lovely.  And now that Our Shirl is here she seems to have removed her ballet rod from her back and seems so much more relaxed.  Slightly naughty school girl in fact, exemplified nicely by the back chat she gave C raig.  Either that or she has discovered alcohol loosens one up before a performance...

Off to read all your comments now :-)

Over and out!

Another PS : I forgot Gemma and Ruth.  Gemma prob because she was at the top of the show and it was SO long since I saw her....  She was... clunky.  Or whatever the oppostie of elegant is.  She's tall but seems a little ungainly with it,.  She did allude to it herself when she said her Mum said she came down tthe stairs like an elephant - but I thought she was just exaggerating.  But I can see what her Mum means.  Ruth... OMG what was going on there?  She seemed like she could do some moves (in a Chizzy type way) when she was on the red carpet...  But she was floundering like a flounder.  I do feel for her - I think I would flop once i had choreography to deal with and heel or toe leads or whatever. But I wonder if A ton concentrates too much on building a fun rapport wiht his sleb rather then concentrating on getting them to actually dance competently.  I feel Susan would have given a very different perfromance if she had A nton as a partner. And maybe Ruth would have done better if she had Kevin.....

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:31 pm

[quote="TANGOLERO"]Just a few comments on Show One:

Oh, and the music choosers should get the sack. Utterly clueless and again smaking of square pegs in round holes just for personal gratification. I thought Brian was doing a Tango, and Debbie's Paso music was dire. [/quote

I forgot to mention music in my very, very long posts... But abso-bloomin'-lutely Tango. Sacking is a little too kind. I've tried that in the past and they just keep regenerating. I think drastic measures are now required. I propose sending them to X-Factor. In Australia. One way ticket only. They used to do it with convicts you know. Worked a treat - nobody ever saw them again.
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Hello gang, lovely to see So many of you back here.

The ones I am really looking forward to seeing again are:-

Debbie & Giovanni - yes I know she was a professional ballet dancer but she is nearly 60 and her dance on Saturday was captivating

Gemma & Aljaz - I like Gemma and I like Aljaz and am looking forward to following their j.ourney. There is much room for improvement so it will be a true j.ourney

Richard & Diane - this man is thoroughly entertaining and I can't wait to see what he brings to the party next week

The ones I find a little bit cringe worthy are:-

Chizzy & Pasha - I'm hoping she won't be a one trick pony and we don't end up with a bit of disco in every dance

Brian & Amy - I have a feeling he won't take criticism very well which won't endear him to the GBP

Ruth & A.nton - she comes across as a lovely lady but her dancing was wooden and she had that "rabbit in the headlights" look which must surely signify terror

My meh acts are Alexandra & Gorka and Aston & Janette. If they are this good in week one then they really have nowhere to go. I shall consider them two extra pros and view their dances as a lighthearted addition rather then being in the competition.

The rest of the cast haven't really stood out for me yet although I do hope Jonnie & Oti and Susan & Kevin do well.

And then we have Zoe tonight - a true sign that autumn has arrived!

fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:50 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote: I can;t understand how you can actually feel or listen to the music as you would always be concentrating so hard on whether you should be leading wiht the heel or the toe or fleckling or contra-checking.....

Contra-checking??? Gee, D & P, I don't actually know what that means? I got lost on modern speak when "singing off the same hymn sheets and shaking trees to see what fell out" were mandatory speak at the 17 weekly meetings that managers had to avoid actually doing any work. I digress. I've never even bothered if what I did with my feet was right, I don't check when I'm walking, so why bother when dancing? It's a natural thing and I've seen people totally confused trying to memorise things they did at five years old. However, I expect argument on that, so.... Cool
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:06 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

Contra-checking??? Gee, D & P, I don't  actually know what that means? I got lost on  modern speak when "singing off the same hymn sheets and shaking trees to see what fell out" were mandatory speak at the 17 weekly meetings that managers had to avoid actually doing any work. I digress.  I've never even bothered if what I did with my feet was right, I don't check when I'm walking, so why bother when dancing? It's a natural thing and I've seen people totally confused trying to memorise things they did at five years old. However, I expect argument on that, so.... Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing I may have made 'contra-checking up... I thought I heard Our Shirl mention it and thought it was something to do wiht changing direction. But I really know nothing!

Re checking one's feet whilst dancing... I never check them when I am burning up the dance floor at my friend's special birthday gathering or down the local pub dance-floor (as you say, it is a very natural thing), but if I was supposed to be performing a waltz on Strictly that was being judged with beady eyes on technical ability then I would very much be trying to remember which way my foot should be and whether my head should be to the left or right or whatever. For example, I always dance up on the balls of my feet or even on my toes, so putting my foot down on the floor heel first to perform a heel lead would require immense amounts of concentration and effort.... Which is why I think a Waltz is a lot harder than a jive. I had always assumed that they taught the technical stuff in the ballroom dance halls that you love, ie that it wasn;t ALL down to natural movement. Perhaps I am wrong about that too?! Laughing
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 pm

cheers Hello everybody.  cheers
How stupid am I? Went on holiday, and thought it all started this weekend, and didn't set the recorder up!!!!!!!
I've not seen the first show yet but I'll go and  start a thread for the music choices coming up for week 2.
A belated welcome to Tappingfeet. Looking forward to chatting with you further down the line Basketball
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:30 pm

diamonds - I think for me Jive is a daunting first dance for a similar reason Paso is: the sheer performance demands. All that bouncing around like a mad thing would make me feel like a right prat on Week 1 when everything's so new. So I give props to Joe for Jiving with such abandon and verve and not looking self-conscious or at all silly doing it!

B4p wrote:cheers Hello everybody.  cheers
How stupid am I? Went on holiday, and thought it all started this weekend, and didn't set the recorder up!!!!!!!
I've not seen the first show yet but I'll go and  start a thread for the music choices coming up for week 2.
A belated welcome to Tappingfeet. Looking forward to chatting with you further down the line Basketball

How on earth did we survive in the days before iPlayer and YouTube could come to our rescue Very Happy
Hope you had a nice holiday B4 and enjoy the catch up.
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Not sure where to post this but did anybody see A.nton on Loose Women?  He was talking about his babies and he very nearly had me in tears.
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Re the Jive: I think the jive is one of those dances that can look easy when done well  (if that makes sense!)  I think that some of the other types of jive are less demanding but I agree, the ballroom version that we see on SCD with all the kicks and flicks is so demanding with all the bouncing - as you say S id.  Whilst it is a dance I really enjoy watching, I think if I were an SCD contestant it would be one of dances that I would be dreading   (unfit - moi? Very Happy Very Happy )

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 31  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top