View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:21 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Susan Calman & Kevin Clifton – Viennese Waltz to Mad About the Boy

Simon Rimmer & Karen Clifton – Paso Doble to Song 2 by Blur

Debbie McGee & Giovanni Pernice – Paso Doble to Be Italian by Fergie

Thoughts?

I feel that most of the tracks are quite good - a clutch of waltzes, cha-cha and tangos as is normally expected. However I have highlighted above the tracks about which I am concerned - a VW in the first week???? Really???? sounds like an early bath stitch-up unless Kev is banking on the popular vote carrying Susan through? Question As for the paso doble being done in week 1 - I feel sorry for the celebs as they won't really have learned enough to do such a monster of a dance justice. Debbie will proably be able to carry it off, but Simon???? Being a Blur fan, Song 2 is one of my favourite tracks - but a paso doble? Please!!! Rolling Eyes It's laughable to anyone who knows this track - and I don't know how much say K aren has had in this? B4p you cast doubt on her choreography and I agree with you. Off we go with the music 'rollercoaster'!!!! Wink Wink

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Re: strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:31 pm

B4p wrote:
I hope this box gets chucked out for recycling sooner rather than later Mad

I was wondering what will replace ' L  en's  Lens' in the results show this year?    Might it be something to do with the 'box'  Mad Mad Mad Mad Laughing

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:56 am

mauveangel09 wrote:

I feel that most of the tracks are quite good - a clutch of waltzes, cha-cha and tangos as is normally expected.  However I have highlighted above the tracks about which I am concerned -   a VW in the first week???? Really????  sounds like an early bath stitch-up unless Kev is banking on the popular vote carrying Susan through?  Question   As for the paso doble being done in week 1 - I feel sorry for the celebs as they won't really have learned enough to do such a monster of a dance justice.  Debbie will proably be able to carry it off, but Simon????  Being a Blur fan, Song 2 is one of my favourite tracks - but a paso doble? Please!!!  Rolling Eyes  It's laughable to anyone who knows this track - and I don't know how much say K aren has had in this?  B4p you cast doubt on her choreography and I agree with you.  Off we go with the music 'rollercoaster'!!!! Wink  Wink

Not sure if I am getting paranoid but seems like the show has its favourites as likes of the pin-up couples getting the best music and dances (Aston, Gemma and Alexandra) whilst the lesser ones getting screwed over such as Brian Conley with a Tango.

As for what L.en's L.ens will become well I suppose there is a chance they may use it as a chance to pay homage to the late S.ir B.ruce.
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:30 pm

I won't even offer a comment on respective skill levels without even seeing anybody perform, but I certain ly agree that harder dances likle Paso and Tango that rely somewhat on acting skills to convince, in week one are a bit of a joke. We'll have to suffer the experts deciding on "suitable" music as nothing will change anyway, so no poin t in bothering. They'll also probably still persevere with the rumba later despite its unsuitability in making male contestants uncomfortable, but again, it will happen regardless. Our new head judge is all over the red-top papers this morning with tales of debauchery; I really hope she is a bit better than A rlene was at drooling and using the word "hot" every ten seconds. I'm just hoping some good dancing will be the main focus....although I somehow doubt it. . clown
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:35 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:I won't even offer a comment on respective skill levels without even seeing anybody perform, but I certain ly agree that harder dances likle Paso and Tango that rely somewhat on acting skills to convince, in week one are a bit of a joke. We'll have to suffer the experts deciding on "suitable" music as nothing will change anyway, so no poin t in bothering. They'll also probably still persevere with the rumba later despite its unsuitability in making male contestants uncomfortable, but again, it will happen regardless. Our new head judge is all over the red-top papers this morning with tales of debauchery; I really hope she is a bit better than A rlene was at drooling and using the word "hot" every ten seconds. I'm just hoping some good dancing will be the main focus....although I somehow doubt it. . clown

I'd sooner hold more stock in what the tooth fairy says than the red-tops. Laughing
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 pm

I havn't watched the launch yet as I was away .But hoping to join you all and chat about Strictly if I may.Not sure where to post yet but this seemed like a good place to start .

Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Welcome Tapping feet, and post wherever you like. There are plenty topics to go at.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:49 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

I'd sooner hold more stock in what the tooth fairy says than the red-tops. Laughing

Quite so, C.C., but they can do a lot of damage amongst the avid believers in gossip and rumour. Unfortuanately, they sell millions.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:24 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Welcome Tapping feet, and post wherever you like. There are plenty topics to go at.

Thank you.I will wander around and find my feet and will enjoy the chat.

Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Tappingfeet wrote:I havn't  watched the  launch yet as I was away .But hoping to join you all and chat about Strictly if I may.Not sure where to post yet but this seemed like a good place to start .

Hello Tapping - and lovely to meet you :-)

I was a bit nervous about posting too in the beginning (way back when it was still a forum on the actual BBC and A nton was nobbut a lad...) as I have experienced a few forums which profess to be a bit of fun with like-minded people getting together bla bla - but turned out to be a shark-feeding frenzy. However, this forum is genuinely friendly and fun and I love to have my say when Strictly season comes round each year. We don't always agree with each other, but that is healthy, and we are always respectful of each other's opinions (in amongst the banter!)

As Tango says, there are plenty of places to post and this thread is one of my favourites - so an excellent place to start!

Looking forward to hearing more from you when you have seen the launch show :-)
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:55 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Simon Rimmer & Karen Clifton – Paso Doble to Song 2 by Blur

Ye gods! Poor Simon... That is SO unfair Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Mad (As Kevin the Teenager was wont to moan)

A paso in the first week is unfair for anyone. A paso in the first week for a non-performer (reading an autocue and chopping onions isn't performing) is extra unfair. A paso in the first week to a non-traditional paso tune is gross injustice.

I will be writing to my MP and firing (yet again - they are like worm's tails - they just grow back again) the producers. And if they persist, I will send them to the tower.

Pah!
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:34 am

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Hello Tapping - and lovely to meet you :-)

I was a bit nervous about posting too in the beginning (way back when it was still a forum on the actual BBC and A nton was nobbut a lad...) as I have experienced a few forums which profess to be a bit of fun with like-minded people getting together bla bla - but turned out to be a shark-feeding frenzy.  However, this forum is genuinely friendly and fun and I love to have my say when Strictly season comes round each year.  We don't always agree with each other, but that is healthy, and we are always respectful of each other's opinions (in amongst the banter!)

As Tango says, there are plenty of places to post and this thread is one of my favourites - so an excellent place to start!

Looking forward to hearing more from you when you have seen the launch show :-)  

Thank you for the lovely welcome. I am going to sit and watch the launch show this evening and then have more to complain gush about !

Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm

A very warm welcome to you Tapping Feet. I look forward to reading your posts.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Re Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Ye gods!  Poor Simon...  That is SO unfair Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Mad  (As Kevin the Teenager was wont to moan)

Pah!

........and fancy murdering Song 2 !!!! Rolling Eyes I am not someone who rails against modern tracks if they can add something to a dance - but pasos are sacrosanct and we've seen such unsuitable music in the last few years (as Mr T will second) looks like we are going to get it again, How much say has Mrs Clifton had in this? She wouldn't want to stitch them up on the first week but if she's had a hand in it I would second B4p's earlier comments about her slightly dodgy choreography/judgements..............btw I am not one of the 'bash the Cliftons clan' - I've always been ambivalent about her. Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Welcome Tapping feet Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 am

Hi Tapping Feet, I think D&P has summed us up pretty well, look forward to hearing your views.
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:13 am

Thank you all for the welcome.I still havent see the launch but intend to watch tonight ,I had 3 Great B Bake Offs to catch up on !I am looking forward to the chat here. Ruth is already annoying me and I havent even watched yet !!

Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Hello Tapping Feet great to see you in the forum! We have to use a . Or some other - or & with A.non as the devillish Creature of beauty and wonderment pop in a few words... I'll try and show you

short trip to Dusseldorf

J.our ney

Housewives choice
A.non

Silver tongued Italian Stallion
B.runo

Erin
E,rin

the fabu-u-lus darling one
C,raig

lingerie
loonytoad quack

Lingered
L.INHERE

put a vest on you strumpet
O.la

Forgotten some of the others

Anyway affraid Blur for a Paso & week 1,, wrong wrong so totally wrong on all accounts. Why a Jive/Paso/Cha Cha in first week? Sick of them fannying around with the more technical dances in the early weeks.
Basic footwork,steps, need to be worked on in the first few weeks and getting the chemistry right between a new couple....

saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Forgot

Creature of beauty and wonderment

A.dmin

Very Happy
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Hey TappingFeet, glad to have you on board Smile

TANGOLERO wrote:
Hi Sid. Nice to see you here as ever. Underneath this razamataz post you are about to read (hopefully) , a serious point lies, honestly....

Hey Mr T - sorry for taking 5 yrs to get back to you but been feeling a bit rough, over the worst of it now though!

I totally get where you're coming from, and don't for a second expect Shirley to get bogged down in technicalities on week one or anything. And yes, dance is about so much more than foot placement - it's about expression and enjoyment and chemistry and SOUL. But I do like some emphasis on technique, especially as the weeks go on, not least because I feel the quality of the movement helps with those other aspects of dance; when somebody has the leg bending / straightening technique of Rumba down, and their hips undulate the way they're supposed to, it only adds to the sensual feeling created by the dance - and it looks nice. So I think technique and artistry go hand in hand, each complimenting and adding to the other.

Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:25 pm

I get that they need a diverse selection of dances when there are 15 couples to get through or viewers are gonna start tearing their hair out, but it's a bit much expecting someone to deliver a dance as big as a Paso on their first outing when they're not yet familiar with the dancefloor so stand little chance of giving the impression they're in command and OWN the space. So yes, I'll also be writing to my MP...and the Mayor...AND THE PM.

I'm less annoyed / worried about introducing the Viennese Waltz in Week 1 as I don't think it has too many intricate steps. The spinning won't be pleasant but that'll be there whichever week Susan has to perform it really.

*does customary eye roll at some of the the less subtle song choices*
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Welcome, Welcome Tapping feet - great to have you here - the more the merrier.

mauveangel09 wrote:
ok - so we're all agreed that the C laudia slapstick/'jokes' are awful and unbecoming
Actually - no. We're not all agreed. I'm delighted with Claudia and think she's very witty especially in the interviews with the contestants. The set pieces with Tess are ok in my view and actually as funny as anything Brucie ever did. His timing was completely gone by his last series. Blasphamy, I know, but there you are!

diamondsandpearls wrote:
Ye gods!  Poor Simon...  That is SO unfair Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Mad  [...]
A paso in the first week is unfair for anyone.  [...] A paso in the first week to a non-traditional paso tune is gross injustice.

Though I agree with you wholeheartedly about the tune, I think Simon will cope with the dance. On the evidence of the First Steps filming I think he'll pick it up quite quickly. I hope so anyway.
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Sid wrote: And yes, dance is about so much more than foot placement - it's about expression and enjoyment and chemistry and SOUL. But I do like some emphasis on technique, especially as the weeks go on, not least because I feel the quality of the movement helps with those other aspects of dance; when somebody has the leg bending / straightening technique of Rumba down, and their hips undulate the way they're supposed to, it only adds to the sensual feeling created by the dance - and it looks nice. So I think technique and artistry go hand in hand, each complimenting and adding to the other.

Just about sums it about for me S id...............technique and artistry do go hand in hand and adds up to the 'perfect' SCD contestant - but I think that's what makes ballroom and latin - the footwork. It is important and is what sets it apart from other dance genres - it is the basics that everyone starts off with - you can't be doing a waltz without the correct foot movements. Whilst the SCD professionals don't have the luxury of lots of time to teach the basics, I think that for those who do invest a bit of time in it, it pays dividends later in the contest and for those who don't - it really starts to show as the weeks go by. Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:51 pm

Twirlie wrote:

Actually - no. We're not all agreed. I'm delighted with Claudia and think she's very witty especially in the interviews with the contestants. The set pieces with Tess are ok in my view and actually as funny as anything Brucie ever did. His timing was completely gone by his last series. Blasphamy, I know, but there you are

Hi Twirlie Very Happy

I agree - C laudia is a brilliant personality and has great wit - top class presenter and as you say, particularly in the interviews with the contestants - but she's so good she doesn't need any third rate demeaning scripted stuff in my opinion. These set pieces and auto cues finished B rucie off in terms of SCD but they still persist in doing things in that way............think I'll just start the show off on recording and fast forward over all those bits............... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 am

mauveangel09 wrote:

I agree - C laudia is a brilliant personality and has great wit [...] but she's so good she doesn't need any third rate demeaning scripted stuff in my opinion.  

Fair 'nough mauveangel. You're right - they need some new script writers for the set pieces. And soon. The trouble is, the girls work quite well. Tess is all you need for a straight man/(woman) really. They just need better material.
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top